2022/23 Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thelwell's response to our desperate need for a striker is.... to sell one of our only strikers.

What is going on at our club?
Hopefully we have finally made the decision to sell players in their final year, rather than let them leave for free.

£6m-£8m is a good fee for someone who has only scored once in the top flight, and could leave for free next year.

This approach should apply to everyone this summer. Anyone in their last year should be offered an extension (if appropriate), and if there is no prospect of an extension, then they should be made available and sold for as much as possible.

No More Free Transfers!!

Just reading the article about Simms on the BBC website. The comments are something to behold, absolutely hypocritical of the RS to call us bitter. They're still obsessed with poor little ev. Custards.

Hopefully we have finally made the decision to sell players in their final year, rather than let them leave for free.

£6m-£8m is a good fee for someone who has only scored once in the top flight, and could leave for free next year.

This approach should apply to everyone this summer. Anyone in their last year should be offered an extension (if appropriate), and if there is no prospect of an extension, then they should be made available and sold for as much as possible.

No More Free Transfers!!
It's a fair point, but in a club that's desperate for strikers, you have to ask the question why is a young prospect like Simms not being retained? Everything is here for him to push on and become a premier league striker. I find it hard to believe we havent offered him an extension, and the opportunity is here for him (unless he knows something we dont).

It's a fair point, but in a club that's desperate for strikers, you have to ask the question why is a young prospect like Simms not being retained? Everything is here for him to push on and become a premier league striker. I find it hard to believe we havent offered him an extension, and the opportunity is here for him (unless he knows something we dont).
If he was at another team, would you buy him to fill that striker gap? Because I don’t think he’d be topping any lists of potential improvements to our squad. He’s not a young prospect, he’s a decent (and proven) Championship striker.

If he was at another team, would you buy him to fill that striker gap? Because I don’t think he’d be topping any lists of potential improvements to our squad. He’s not a young prospect, he’s a decent (and proven) Championship striker.
I suppose that could be said of any young striker, but he has the opportunity to step up here. It just frustrates me to see us with 3 strikers with one always injured, one who is fully useless and one with potential to grow and improve being sold off. This at a time when we are desperate to add to the squad.

I don't think he would be sold if the manager thought he was good enough. And if we aren't convinced then this summer is our last chance to sell for decent money. I agree with the decision, I just don't think he's quite good enough for top flight football.

Happy with this. Thought he looked useless everytime he came on last season. The Chelsea goal was good but I think that was more down to koulibaly being terrible than Simms being great. Onwards we go, let's sign a striker

I suppose that could be said of any young striker, but he has the opportunity to step up here. It just frustrates me to see us with 3 strikers with one always injured, one who is fully useless and one with potential to grow and improve being sold off. This at a time when we are desperate to add to the squad.
I know what you mean but we’re in a position where we need to add players who will improve the team. Simms didn’t get a fair crack of the whip, admittedly, but in the few chances he had to show something, he didn’t really. Cannon looks more like the one with potential to grow.

Although I’d rather we’d sold Maupay first. He obviously won’t ever be a Prem striker.

Reverse engineer this, would you pay 8mil for him to solve our striker options? I think most would say no. Last year of contract, makes room to add another striker, Maupay is gone, so let’s assume DCL and Cannon. Cannon is a work in progress so I am going to say a #4 striker even if we play one up, DCL we should assume will be out for extended periods, that leaves us needing 2 strikers. Put the 8mil into the kitty for that; bring in an out and out #9 as our#1 striker and let DCL compete against him when fit, then a 2nd striker that can play across the front 3, helps solve the wide problem when all fit and works within our budget of not being able to buy for every position. *CAVEAT assumes we but well but on recent track form well….

Reverse engineer this, would you pay 8mil for him to solve our striker options? I think most would say no. Last year of contract, makes room to add another striker, Maupay is gone, so let’s assume DCL and Cannon. Cannon is a work in progress so I am going to say a #4 striker even if we play one up, DCL we should assume will be out for extended periods, that leaves us needing 2 strikers. Put the 8mil into the kitty for that; bring in an out and out #9 as our#1 striker and let DCL compete against him when fit, then a 2nd striker that can play across the front 3, helps solve the wide problem when all fit and works within our budget of not being able to buy for every position. *CAVEAT assumes we but well but on recent track form well….
i wouldn’t be so sure about maupay goin mate

Status
Not open for further replies.