Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I remember he was brought in because of an injury crisis but hit the ground running and hasn't looked back since. Don't think anybody actually thought at the time he was anywhere near good enough. Could be wrong like..
Partly right, but not entirely. He was brought into the starting line up at the last minute for his debut because somebody got injured in the warm up, but he was obviously selected on the bench to begin with, and he'd already been on the bench a few times that season. He just missed out under 23 level completely because he was deemed good enough, and he was elevated above the likes of James Wilson, who I'm pretty sure is still on United's books and himself had a prolific record in junior football. Greenwood is following a similar path, just as Rooney, Rodwell, Davies etc have with us. Some players are thought to have what it takes from a very young age, some aren't. Again, coaches might not always get it right, but it's rarely quite the guesswork some fans suggest it is.

....it’s so much more difficult for forwards to break through because the skill set is much greater, the fact Anthony Gordon plays more regularly at U23 level suggests he has more quality than Simms.

I love a prolific scorer and Simms is a prolific scorer, but it’s a huge advantage for him playing in a ring fenced age group. Defenders and goalkeepers will be physically stronger and more capable when he moves up to play in the older group and the ultimate test of open-age football.

The lad is certainly a goalscorer, i’ve seen lots of those at youth and schoolboy level. Time will tell if he has the broader quality to have a career in the game, but he’s already at an age where the very best can play at international level. Simms is not even a regular at U23s, we need to manage expectation.

....it’s so much more difficult for forwards to break through because the skill set is much greater, the fact Anthony Gordon plays more regularly at U23 level suggests he has more quality than Simms.

I love a prolific scorer and Simms is a prolific scorer, but it’s a huge advantage for him playing in a ring fenced age group. Defenders and goalkeepers will be physically stronger and more capable when he moves up to play in the older group and the ultimate test of open-age football.

The lad is certainly a goalscorer, i’ve seen lots of those at youth and schoolboy level. Time will tell if he has the broader quality to have a career in the game, but he’s already at an age where the very best can play at international level. Simms is not even a regular at U23s, we need to manage expectation.
He's gone 18 now if a player is going to make it then that is the age, get him in for a few games along with 1 or 2 others and see what we have, then off on loan to the championship for next season.

He's gone 18 now if a player is going to make it then that is the age, get him in for a few games along with 1 or 2 others and see what we have, then off on loan to the championship for next season.

...not sure if you’re suggesting ‘getting him into the first team for a few games’. That would be a bit ludicrous given he’s not even getting game time for U23s. There are plenty of 18 year olds at the club, we can’t give them all a few games in the first team.

Unless they are wrapping the boy in cotton wool, it appears the coaches think Simms is currently playing at his level.

Outrageous if that's the case.

What else can Ellis Simms prove at U18 level?

i think Unsworth has been like this since he has dropped back down to under 23s to be honest.
Picking the likes of Browning & Galloway constatly over someone who ay have more of a chance- say Kyle John or Ryan Astley is proof to that.
Harry Charsley still palys ahead of Anthony gordon im sure and he's like 31 now.

And against PSG in a must win game.

Think he could get a few appearances next season, maybe last day of the season if we cannot change position.

But as has been said on here before, no point rushing or overhyping him, he will be ready when he's ready

They also had 4 of there first choice front 6 out injured so had no other option. Im sure if we had injuries like Utd had, we would start seeing the likes of Hornby & Simms on the bench

Knows where the net is.

Get him in the first team. The rest of em couldn’t hit a barn door.

I seem to recall the goodison faithful being very generous in their support of young players in the past.

i think Unsworth has been like this since he has dropped back down to under 23s to be honest.
Picking the likes of Browning & Galloway constatly over someone who ay have more of a chance- say Kyle John or Ryan Astley is proof to that.
Harry Charsley still palys ahead of Anthony gordon im sure and he's like 31 now.
Unsworth agenda at 23s level is all wrong. rather wins games with players that wont be here in 12 months rather than give outstanding players at younger level a chance to see if they can make the step up

Unsworth agenda at 23s level is all wrong. rather wins games with players that wont be here in 12 months rather than give outstanding players at younger level a chance to see if they can make the step up
Or Simms didn't do particularly great in the under 23s and they thought he'd benefit more from a title challenge (and potential league win) with the under 18s. Instilling a winning mentality seems to be very high on the agenda at finch farm and that can't be a bad thing IMO.

Playing every game for the 18s, seeing through a complete title challenge versus missing out on the reward of a long season and playing second fiddle to Hornby. I think I agree with the coaches on this one. He'll deffo step up to the 23s next year and he won't have Sambou in his way at least and possibly Hornby if he goes out on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.