Homepage Article Ellis Simms Joins Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an opportunity for the young lad to start building a career in adult football.
It does appear that he has gone as far as he can with under age football and management feel he isn't near playing for the first team yet... if ever.

I think he has a better chance of getting regular football in league one than in the Championship and it is now up to him to show what is his level of football.

Seen a few twitter shouts saying he’s one of our first team strikers.

In what world is that?
Well he has been training with them, and we only have 2 actual senior strikers, so...
For sure. We also probably offer youngsters a slightly easier route to the first team than either of those 3 clubs as well, but we don't really capitalise on that (call it the Dortmund effect if you like). Compare our success with our own youngsters to those like Stones, Holgate, Branthwaite et al that we buy in as young players. There are around 300 players currently in the Academy, and I would be absolutely staggered if more than 1 or 2 make 100 appearances for us, let alone have a substantial England career.
See this is the problem. Those figures you have quoted would be a decent return. People have totally unrealistic expectations for what our (and indeed most) academies can produce. I know it seems like they give away Caps for free nowadays, but it is actually (numerically speaking) very hard to get an England cap. For any club to have just a couple players getting caps is an achievement. To be able to do it with academy players even more so. And that's not even taking in to account that we have three of the biggest clubs in the world, and two of the traditional 'big five' right on our doorstep, who are likely to be more attractive to many young prospects, and who can hoover up all the best talent not only from our catchment area, not just England, but Europe and the rest of the world. Aside from Foden name me another good product of City's academy, one who actually came through from an early age? Last one at Liverpool. Before the recent crop, the last one from Chelsea? It's like people think it's easy. You spot some kid at 8, put him in your academy and 10 years later you get a world class prospect who's banging on the first team door. It doesn't work like that, with all the will and the best coaches in the world, and it is absolutely ridiculous to expect it to.

Could be make or break for the Lad.
Hopefully He will take the chance with both hands and shine.
Pretty much this.
Blackpool is a step up fro U23s, if he does well it proves he has potential to be better than U23s.
How well he does will decide if we bring him back to see if he has another 'step up'...or 2...in him.
Blackpool do the work for us.
Player gets chance.
We don't have to take the risk of playing him in a game that matters to find out if he can do it.

Happy to see him go out and grab some experience, with most young strikers we've had over the years. I'd rather see them go out on loan if they're not going to get minutes in rotation. It's a more competitive league for him and most likely, he's not going to make it here (just being realistic) so he can try and find his level now, rather than in 3-4 years time.

Which he could’ve been doing before the age of 20 rather than help Big Unsy win tinpot plastic cups.
Pretty sure Simms only joined the u23s a year and a half ago or so, and didn't play a significant part in any of our u23 league wins. So....

Status
Not open for further replies.