Educating Rafael

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyhorne

Immoderate
Time to cut this guy some slack. He will have arrived on Merseyside, all those years ago, with his views of the footballing landscape here skewed by media bias. It was, no doubt, something of a shock and disappointment to discover the truth. One time, when asked to articulate this disappointment on the spare of the moment and in a second language, he chose a clumsy phrase. He retracted the statement almost immediately.

There is still much that Mr Benitez has to learn of our great club. I think we have a great chance to show our new manager and the world at large what a unique football club we are. We are not Chelsea. We are certainly not that lot across the park. Let's get behind the new manager and help him bring the stability and success we all want.

That's my take on all this anyway ...

(Edit. The title has been censored and kind of loses the nod to Willy Russell that I was so pleased with myself about.)

1: Time to cut this guy some slack. He will have arrived on Merseyside, all those years ago, with his views of the footballing landscape here skewed by media bias. It was, no doubt, something of a shock and disappointment to discover the truth. One time, when asked to articulate this disappointment on the spare of the moment and in a second language, he chose a clumsy phrase. 2: He retracted the statement almost immediately.

There is still much that Mr Benitez has to learn of our great club. I think we have a great chance to show our new manager and the world at large what a unique football club we are. We are not Chelsea. We are certainly not that lot across the park. Let's get behind the new manager and help him bring the stability and success we all want.

That's my take on all this anyway ...

(Edit. The title has been censored and kind of loses the nod to Willy Russell that I was so pleased with myself about.)
Repliea to bolded comments:

1: Why?
2: How long after?

Not sure the relevance of him calling the club 'small' in comparison with the numerous other comments and posts on this forum about why people dont want him aside from that statement he made?

Its really not only about that...

Wouldn't have been my first choice for footballing reasons but its time to show the world that the club and its fans have some class. Give the man time to (hopefully) prove the doubters wrong. Booing from the off will affect the team, our team, the one we are suppose to support.

Being offended by what someone said about us in the past IS exactly small club behaviour. Its also very much snowflake. Rise above mere words.

I'm sure he has come across many many blues in Liverpool that were able to have a a bit of craic with him through the years. I know we represent ourselves well in person. He knows the city. This isn't glasgow/rangers. Its family.

….’backing Benitez’ is a bit of romantic gush.

He’s our manager, that’s his job. He’ll be judged on how the team performed. It doesn’t matter if fans are for or against his appointment.

Last edited:
I'm just tired by the weeks of speculation and the tension and sniping, it hasn't been the best of times.

Just want to see the beginnings of sustained improvement and progress, bit by bit.

And some stability and continuity, so yes, I'd like him to hang around a while, all other things equal.

This talk of "winning" is a bit too clichéd now, actually, we need to reset and focus on working hard first.

The manager, whomever it is, Benitez included, gets qualified support from me until shown they deserve to lose it.

He would have been far from my first choice, but I can get over his history / comments. I didn't have to work hard on that.

There are many players, managers, chairmen/owners, etc who have done immeasurable damage to the club over the years.

Benitez is far, far down the list of people I have a gripe with.

I'm just tired by the weeks of speculation and the tension and sniping, it hasn't been the best of times.

Just want to see the beginnings of sustained improvement and progress, bit by bit.

And some stability and continuity, so yes, I'd like him to hang around a while, all other things equal.

This talk of "winning" is a bit too clichéd now, actually, we need to reset and focus on working hard first.

The manager, whomever it is, Benitez included, gets qualified support from me until shown they deserve to lose it.

He would have been far from my first choice, but I can get over his history / comments. I didn't have to work hard on that.

There are many players, managers, chairmen/owners, etc who have done immeasurable damage to the club over the years.

Benitez is far, far down the list of people I have a gripe with.
Agree with everything here.

….’backing Benitez’ is a bit of romantic gush.

He’s our manager, that’s his job. He’ll be judged on how the team performed. It doesn’t matter if fans are for or against his appointment.
If it is affecting the atmosphere at the ground of course it matters. If you want a toxic environment it doesn't but if we want to progress it is in peoples best interest to back him at least quietly if not cheering from the rooftops.

Status
Not open for further replies.