Easy Vaulting Poll 2 - Is McGeady any good?

Is McGeady any good?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's good enough as a backup, no more. At least not from what he has shown so far. But like Oviedo, he might surprise me in a season or two.

When people say he's got no end product, I think its really a case of people seeing what they want to see, confirmation bias.

With Geads, he's exciting to watch, and he ghosts pasts people and gets into tons of promising positions, thus creating many crossing opportunities for himself. Most wingers in the world who do this fail to hit the man once they've done it, but from memory he's actually put in quite a few amazing balls so far. People just remember the ones which fit their pre conception of a tricky pacey winger - that they never have any end product.

Compare him to say Pienaar, who very very rarely creates anything of note but is tidy enough until he gets to the final third, and people would much rather have him in the team because he gives the impression everything good comes through him, when more often than not he just allows defenders to get back.

Its how Evertonians work.
New signing arrives.
New signing underwhelms in first season.
Blues turn on them.
Player has a good 2nd season.
Player is appreciated for 'overcoming the odds' and winning hearts.
REPEAT.
*Naismith, Oviedo, McGeady, Kone, etc etc etc.

When people say he's got no end product, I think its really a case of people seeing what they want to see, confirmation bias.

With Geads, he's exciting to watch, and he ghosts pasts people and gets into tons of promising positions, thus creating many crossing opportunities for himself. Most wingers in the world who do this fail to hit the man once they've done it, but from memory he's actually put in quite a few amazing balls so far. People just remember the ones which fit their pre conception of a tricky pacey winger - that they never have any end product.

Compare him to say Pienaar, who very very rarely creates anything of note but is tidy enough until he gets to the final third, and people would much rather have him in the team because he gives the impression everything good comes through him, when more often than not he just allows defenders to get back.

I really cant make sense of that post mate.

Why would any Everton fan, want to believe an Everton player having no end product. Ghosting past players is all well and good but goals win football matches at the end of the day and an attacking player either has to facilitate or do it himself. As you say hes a direct player, therefore assists at the very least are vital.

I disagree on Pienaar - they are compleatly different players, he can play as a decoy for Baines, comes inside and if you actually look at his stats his touch is usually the one before the assist a fair share of goals - so in terms of penetrating key passing hes does have a big impact, his partnership with Baines is also relentless. He does something very uniuqe hes not an out an out winger hes a playmaking inside forward.

Last edited:
Fulham away and Cardiff at home stand out to me done his bit to win us 6 points, reckon he will come good maybe more in the Europa than the league maybe.

Having followed him in his early days at Celtic and then with Ireland, I thought he would be a top top player. During his first few seasons he looked that if he got experience, his end product would improve with time, but to me it still isn't good enough. He crosses plenty of balls to be sure, but rarely picks out a man. I remember him playing for Celtic against Milan and he was a proper bag of tricks, he tried one fancy flick past Maldini, it didn't come off but Maldini applauded the attempt.

IMO I believe that when Strachan took over at Celtic, he didn't progress as he should have.

He is good getting past the defender but the issue is he doesnt appear to have any final ball or composure once he beats them.

'No end product', his through ball to Mirallas was absolutely superb, so he's clearly got a killer pass in him. He wasnt fully fit when he first joined, it was clear to see. He'll have been with us 8 months and had a preseason under his belt when we start the season in August. He'll be sound.

I think how good AM is will depend on how well the full backs play in tandem with him and who is there to get on the end of his work. For example a fit Lukaku with the right attitude attacking everything that comes into the box will mean that McGeady's work will be recognized. However if he's expected to play with the likes of Kone that doesn't work for me.

My kind of player (tricks first, team second) Still seem to never put him in my starting XI mind....

Think he'll be a great purchase if he gets a decent run. I predict goals and assists all over place

Status
Not open for further replies.