Easily Forgotten Everton Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
No 2 keeper at wolves i think

Of course, i remember seeing a interview just after they'd signed Patricio, as he played so well last year and helped get them promotion, they were asking him if he was going to stay. Not a bad back up keeper to have at all that.

Haven't seen this guy mentioned , i dont think

Scored an own goal for Manure to give us a 2-1 league cup win a few days after we'd bummed them 5-0. I think it was the week before Sharpies goal at the pit. Great times.
Gazes out of the window, dreaming of better days.

The good old days when players played for their shirt week in and week out.

Seen him score a belter in a 3 -1 win against Chelsea, I was in the lower bullens, leapt like a salmon(I think, I might have been a tad on the drunk side it was a sunday game iirc)

I remember all our hopes being built up when he signed ( sighs heavily)

Tony Grant, almost a hundred senior appearances in the 90's.

Have yous even heard of him?
He looked like a great prospect when he first broke through. I remember a Middlesborough supporting mate seeing him play for us at their place and he was convinced he would play for England. He just seemed to slowly deteriorate/not kick on and was never able to nail down a permanent position in the first team. Can't remember if he had injury problems or anything going on off the field that may have affected him. He didn't have a bad career, he left us for Man City and then Burnley after that, I think. He was a local lad and his closest current equivalent would be Tom Davies.

Had his injury problems, was a little lightweight but always gave his all. Had twinkle toes on the ball and I don't recall too many bad games. He was just too lightweight for the style Royle had, with Parkinson, Ebbrell, Horne etc. Think he made a career at Burnley then injuries killed him. He was a right skinny blonde lad

Remember when he was coming through. Was around the first time I was really aware of players coming through from the youth team, so I was really keen for him to do well.

When Grant first came through I think he was quite dynamic and always trying to get the ball forward. It seems to happen a lot with young players, they make an initial impact, then plateau, then fall away. I think part of it may be down to coaching/tactics - first team football generally seems pretty risk averse, so someone who naturally likes to get forward from midfield is told not to in case they lose possession or are caught out of position. I think this even happened with the likes of Rooney, who I never thought quite hit the heights he looked capable of at the start of his career when it looked like he could be the stand out world player of his generation.

I think with young players, when they first come in they don't have any responsibility, probably told just to go and enjoy it, no pressure etc. Then after a while they start to be depended on, pressure and responsibility mounts, and it's inevitable that their 'enthusiasm' is reined in somewhat. Good handling will hopefully marry their youthful positivity and freedom with the ability to be a reliable squad/team member.

Totally agree on Rooney as well.

Seen him score a belter in a 3 -1 win against Chelsea, I was in the lower bullens, leapt like a salmon(I think, I might have been a tad on the drunk side it was a sunday game iirc)
/swoon

Watch out if he brings a guitar case on pitch with him tho...

When Grant first came through I think he was quite dynamic and always trying to get the ball forward. It seems to happen a lot with young players, they make an initial impact, then plateau, then fall away. I think part of it may be down to coaching/tactics - first team football generally seems pretty risk averse, so someone who naturally likes to get forward from midfield is told not to in case they lose possession or are caught out of position. I think this even happened with the likes of Rooney, who I never thought quite hit the heights he looked capable of at the start of his career when it looked like he could be the stand out world player of his generation.

Good post, also agree on Rooney. He was utter magic for us at times. Actual magic, even without our blue-tinted specs. I got so excited whenever he got the ball, he often didn't disappoint. He was like having our very own Ronaldinho. For Man U, he was consistently excellent. But not quite magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.