2022/23 Dwight McNeil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Along with many others back in the Lampard days I didn't see why anyone in the PL would want him. Even then he had still managed to score a crucial goal away at Southampton and contributed considerably to our best performance of the first half of the season vs. Palace. Yet since Dyche arrived he has been a player transformed and without his goals and efforts we would be in the Championship, without doubt. Not quite my player of the season (Pickford has been excellent) but so so glad he proved so many doubters wrong.

With 7 goals one of our highest scoring wingers in some time. Doesn't seem like anything close to a steal yet, but hes one of the few players I feel is capable of producing something, and that makes him the least of our worries right now. No matter what else someone does on the field, if they can at times just strike the ball well and score goals at important parts, they are a positive.

Looked weak and ineffective early in the season, but turned out to be our most effective attacking player, so much so, that he is now very much in the retain list.
Controversial, but I’d rather keep him than say, Richarlison returns. Richy has gone on to prove at Spurs how overrated he was by our supporters when here

Looked weak and ineffective early in the season, but turned out to be our most effective attacking player, so much so, that he is now very much in the retain list.
Controversial, but I’d rather keep him than say, Richarlison returns. Richy has gone on to prove at Spurs how overrated he was by our supporters when here

Let’s be straight, Richarlison is a far better player than Dwight McNeil. And in a 4-3-3 (which we bizarrely signed McNeil to play in) he’s absolutely streets ahead.

Let’s be straight, Richarlison is a far better player than Dwight McNeil. And in a 4-3-3 (which we bizarrely signed McNeil to play in) he’s absolutely streets ahead.
I’m not sure I agree with this at all. Both are good two-sided players. While both have their faults Richy spent half of the season forgetting how to dribble the ball. The guy was falling on his ass all game for half of the season and completely useless in so many games for that reason. The thing Dwight has in spades is close control. The ball is glued to his feet. He is 100 times more technically sound and has goal scoring ability like Richy. I need to see him another season in a stable team. He really showed up in the second half.

And I don’t even think Richy is technically crap or a bad player on the ball. He was one of the most inexplicable players I have seen here

I’m not sure I agree with this at all. Both are good two-sided players. While both have their faults Richy spent half of the season forgetting how to dribble the ball. The guy was falling on his ass all game for half of the season and completely useless in so many games for that reason. The thing Dwight has in spades is close control. The ball is glued to his feet. He is 100 times more technically sound and has goal scoring ability like Richy. I need to see him another season in a stable team. He really showed up in the second half.

Richi was awful at running down blind alleys for much of his last seasons but still managed to produce moments of magic and all types of goals. Remember that he has scored more goals for Brazil than McNeil has scored in his career.

Richi was awful at running down blind alleys for much of his last seasons but still managed to produce moments of magic and all types of goals. Remember that he has scored more goals for Brazil than McNeil has scored in his career.
Many players are late bloomers and if last season is an indication McNeil has a lot to bring to the table soon. I loved Richy but his lack of consistency in being able to do basic fundamental footy for half of the season was so apparent that I wasn’t sad when he was sold. We just need to be smart and not re-invest that money in the likes of frickin Maupay

Under Dyche he has been our best outfield player. Non stop work ethic whilst having to play all over the pitch, but also producing several moments of quality. He’s still quite young too.

Genuinely a great piece of business and a player who I am excited to see grow and improve.

I know we need him further up the pitch, but if others came in who could influence games further forward I wonder if he could become an attacking full back. Certainly didn't look lost there.

I think he's better further forward imo but I wouldn't be against it either.

I thought he was dreadful though with the ball on Sunday. I think the occasion got to him and his distribution when we needed it most was abysmal. I'd put that down to pressure though.

I'm a big critic of his, I know I am. Overall though he's done fantastic under Dyche who I think has squeezed out as much as he can out of him. He very much looks like a confidence player who doubts himself and I'm not sure he'll ever hit the consistent heights of the likes of Brighton away.

Still, compared to some of the crap on offer at least he does the bare minimum and works hard.

I know we need him further up the pitch, but if others came in who could influence games further forward I wonder if he could become an attacking full back. Certainly didn't look lost there.
I think so. We lost ALOT when he was pushed back but he definitely was willing to get down the line in the 2nd game and settled in in an attacking sense. If you put someone competent in front or behind him I can see a big improvement in the team. I’d prefer him further forward due to his goalscoring ability and close control but beggars can’t be choosers.

Status
Not open for further replies.