Duncan Ferguson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved Big Dunc. When everyone used to go on about Keane vs Viera, i thought, get Big Dunc in there he's harder than the pair of em.

Happy Bday big fella, thanks for hating the RS and your goals especially against Man Utd (soz Nev)

How many would class Ferguson as a bonafide Everton legend, I will never, and have never put him in such company as Hickson, Lawton, Dean, Sharp or Labone, by this, I'm not suggesting I have a dislike for the man, I was genuinely excited when I heard he was being signed from Rangers, but how many moments of greatness could you say he was party to, everyone remembers the goal against Liverpool in Royles first game in charge, those two goals against United in 1995 and 2005, that saw 1-0 Goodison wins over that opposition, I remember most fondly a performance at Wimbledon on new years day some years back, for some reason more than others, he did score on his last Toffee appearance, rebound from a penalty against Bolton I think it was, even then I'm sure he had not even scored at all during the season before that, until the last day.

sold to Newcastle was a shock to us all, he did come back, but I remember him most fondly for his first time here, I remember hearing about him at Tannadice years ago, I knew he was a name for the future.

but for me, not an Everton legend, not wishing to upset any members, but just an honest assessment.

How many would class Ferguson as a bonafide Everton legend, I will never, and have never put him in such company as Hickson, Lawton, Dean, Sharp or Labone, by this, I'm not suggesting I have a dislike for the man, I was genuinely excited when I heard he was being signed from Rangers, but how many moments of greatness could you say he was party to, everyone remembers the goal against Liverpool in Royles first game in charge, those two goals against United in 1995 and 2005, that saw 1-0 Goodison wins over that opposition, I remember most fondly a performance at Wimbledon on new years day some years back, for some reason more than others, he did score on his last Toffee appearance, rebound from a penalty against Bolton I think it was, even then I'm sure he had not even scored at all during the season before that, until the last day.

sold to Newcastle was a shock to us all, he did come back, but I remember him most fondly for his first time here, I remember hearing about him at Tannadice years ago, I knew he was a name for the future.

but for me, not an Everton legend, not wishing to upset any members, but just an honest assessment.

I see were you are coming from mate. I think why he is held in such high esteem by some Evertonians is because of his love for us and the way we loved him.

He never got the chance to play in a decent Everton side. True he was injured a lot, but because we needed him so much he was rushed back from any injury he had. Take now for instance, Moyes is easing Yak back in from his injury, but Ferguson was always back starting and never got chance to fully recover.

On his day he was unplayable. Can you imagine a 23/24 year old Big Dunc in our side now under the guidence of Moyes and with the squad we have now. He would be one of the top strikers in the country. Sadly we could never get that with him and he never had many decent players around him. Shame.

He was the bright light in what was if were honest a dismal period for us in the 90s and early part of this decade. I agree, he isn't up there with the Dean's, Ball's, Young's, Labone's, Sharp's and Southall's but one thing you knew about Dunc, he was Everton through and through and for that he'l always be one of my Everton heroes!

lost the freaking signal, I hate it when that happens. :(:mad:

anyway, Duncan certainly was useful, prone to bouts of 'minor rebellion' and rowdiness, but Scots do have a sort of fiery temperament, these people have a desire and hate to lose, and that just epitomizes Ferguson.

cut down by injuries, but on his day was quite unstoppable, sadly those times were few and far between.

just have to give a mention to pigeons here. b)

west brom, and correct. He is not a legend compared to the others, but he's my hero

think fellaini could be the next dunc, well in my eyes anyway.

Posted via Mobile Device
not for me, there will be noone that comes close in my affections, plus he's far too fit, far less injury prone and not quite as violent. Also he has far too much hair ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.