2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope he can kick on this year, there are no excuses as we start the season and having to fight for his place might be the making of him.

DCL is a striker that is a mid to lower prem player at best. We have a top 4 manager , a decent chairman that is willing to back him . We just signed one of the most high profile players in the world and have a limited time to try and break into the next level ( top 6/ Europa ) we won’t get anywhere with DCL as first choice. Every team above us or that is in top 6-7 has a ruthless striker that scores goals ... DCL will never be that and so if we can’t afford one I would rather buy another striker with potential and give them ago
That world class manager you mentioned has said numerous times he thinks DCL is an excellent player though...

Popping in for my now-annual post of absolute disbelief that our own fanbase are STIILLL underrating Dom.

Utterly boggles the mind

Firstly, we most definitely haven't got a "limited time" to break into anything.

Secondly, you want us to buy a new striker? Fine, no problem with that, you can make that point without criticizing a player who is most definitely gonna be an important player for us this season.
[/QUOTE

I think us not being clinical enough is going to be our biggest ci cern this season

Scored more goals per game than Richarlison last season
Took more shots
Took better shots
Got in better scoring positions
Converted them at a higher rate
Was better in the air

And those are facts. I looove Richarlison just as much (and he dribbles & creates in a way Dom doesn't) but the people who can't see how good Dom is are mad, and that's on them

But...
buy a striker with potential...
Like the three young strikers with potential we already have?
Like Richarlison? International with Brazil?
Like Moise Kean? knocking on the door of the italian first XI?
Like DCL? Former U20 WC winner and one of the few English strikers under 23 at a PL club?

I know what you're saying but being pragmatic this is the best choice.
And Ancelotti does seem to back him...or else he was just playing him like Siggy and DAvies until he gets a replacement.

Yes like Richarlison. Exactly like that .. young players that aren’t the finished article but have obviously footballing ability. Richy has performed well for us since his first game . Comparing him to DCL is very inaccurate, and I’m not just talking about playing style

He has improved every single year, so hopefully it will continue.
As with every player in the team, if we can buy better or someone to push them, then do it. It will cost though, we’ve just spent a load on Kean who the manager clearly doesn’t rate as highly as DCL.

That world class manager you mentioned has said numerous times he thinks DCL is an excellent player though...

He’s not going to say he’s bad thinks he ? He’s not an idiot , ruining his confidence does Notting to hell his performance and letting any teams know he’s not highly regarded weakens any negotiation position. He also said siggy is doing well at cm we all agreeing that’s the case also?

Scored more goals per game than Richarlison last season
Took more shots
Took better shots
Got in better scoring positions
Converted them at a higher rate
Was better in the air

And those are facts. I looove Richarlison just as much (and he dribbles & creates in a way Dom doesn't) but the people who can't see how good Dom is are mad, and that's on them
He missed a lot of sitters last season and I think that’s something that a lot of people struggle to get past.
He gets in a lot of really good positions and gets on the end of things far better than he used to but he missed a lot of big chances last year.
Writing him off is mad though at his age, plenty of top strikers don’t become top strikers until they’re 26+ and most tend to peak in their late 20s.
There’s no guarantee DCL becomes a better finisher but if he did he’s already got all the other things to be a top number 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.