2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL is a striker that is a mid to lower prem player at best. We have a top 4 manager , a decent chairman that is willing to back him . We just signed one of the most high profile players in the world and have a limited time to try and break into the next level ( top 6/ Europa ) we won’t get anywhere with DCL as first choice. Every team above us or that is in top 6-7 has a ruthless striker that scores goals ... DCL will never be that and so if we can’t afford one I would rather buy another striker with potential and give them ago

BTW that top 4 manager rates AND backs him

In theory what the poster says makes sense, have more shots and you would expect more goals . It’s also true by the same logic that he will have more moments where he misses. I don’t think his finishing ability guarantees a great increase in goals just because he gets more chances. His finishing hasn’t really improved that much in the last few years , last season he had a 10 game spell were things dropped for him or defenders and gk made mistakes that are rare. If you are depending on mistakes for your striker to score it’s not going to bode well against any of the top teams , and to try and win anything you will have to beat some of those teams. I guess it depends on if you believe he will ever become the player we need to get to the next level , I don’t believe he ever will be and so don’t see the point wasting time playing him and keeping him.

I’ve proven this multiple times to be A complete fallacy.

DCL is a striker that is a mid to lower prem player at best. We have a top 4 manager , a decent chairman that is willing to back him . We just signed one of the most high profile players in the world and have a limited time to try and break into the next level ( top 6/ Europa ) we won’t get anywhere with DCL as first choice. Every team above us or that is in top 6-7 has a ruthless striker that scores goals ... DCL will never be that and so if we can’t afford one I would rather buy another striker with potential and give them ago

Firstly, we most definitely haven't got a "limited time" to break into anything.

Secondly, you want us to buy a new striker? Fine, no problem with that, you can make that point without criticizing a player who is most definitely gonna be an important player for us this season.

Some people either have no clue about football, or have unrealistic expectations.

Dom is a target man, he's 23 year's old, and has just scored 13 goals in a season where he started 30 games. He's not gonna be Ronaldo mk1, he's not gonna be a hybrid of Lineker, Sharp and Beardsley. He is what he is, and as long as he puts himself about, I'm happy to support him whilst willing him to keep improving. ;)

He does get unfair criticism mainly because of the lack of goals elsewhere, midfield and defenders really do need to score more. Think many still pine after Lukaku, and that's the benchmark, and even then there was a good number here that had him down as lazy.:rolleyes:

Dominic is a good all round centre forward who leads the line well and puts himself about. His strike rate last season was better than a goal every 3 games.
Where do people think we are getting a player who we can rely on to deliver more than this for less than 50 million?
He will literally need to be Rolando, and then it will be all about how he looked in their direction one time and did not smile.

Wish more people had this attitude.

So what if you don't rate him (not you Mr Mkrudden.) Sick of reading the same old crap, from the same old posters. The lad is a trier, and he's constantly improving, yet some self appointed know it alls have deemed him not good enough, and are actually salivating at the prospect of him having a poor season.

I'm looking at you @ForeverBlue92. Mr "the vaults will be glorious."

Absolute embarrassment of a "supporter" and I use that word very loosely.

Funny how you're only ever a bad supporter when you dont rate a player someone else has a man crush for.

Maybe read the Pickford or Siggurdsson threads or sit in the stands and hear what gets shouted towards Davies or Walcott.

We all do it lets not pretend otherwise - DCL gets paid more in a week than I earn in a year im sure he can sleep soundly at night regardless of what a supporter thinks of him on an online forum...

Last edited:
I have really enjoyed the evolution of his career so far, two seasons ago most of us said, nice young player, good promise, works tirelessly, does what the manager asks, but needs to add goals

Now last season his biggest breakout season yet, he added 13 in the league, that is bloody great for a 23 y.o. by hook or crook they went in.

The fact that we sitting here having the debate as to whether he can lead the line or not is a testament to his continued improvement. Excited to see what happens

But...
buy a striker with potential...
Like the three young strikers with potential we already have?
Like Richarlison? International with Brazil?
Like Moise Kean? knocking on the door of the italian first XI?
Like DCL? Former U20 WC winner and one of the few English strikers under 23 at a PL club?

I know what you're saying but being pragmatic this is the best choice.
And Ancelotti does seem to back him...or else he was just playing him like Siggy and DAvies until he gets a replacement.

I don’t think he’s ever going to be a 20+ striker, that’s not his style. He’s the type of forward you need to take on the CBs, run the channels and provide space, opportunities for others to get forward. He’s needed in the squad but I think he should be judged by the number of team goals and opportunities created rather than just goals, he’s the foyle for someone like Kean who sits in box ‘goal hanging’ if you like

Status
Not open for further replies.