2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
... having a striker than can’t finish is not as good as having one that is good at it

Seems to me there are other qualities that make an effective striker. DCL's strength, work-rate and aerial ability gets him a lot of shot opportunities, while (for example) Tosun is a better finisher but he's weak and slow.

DCL is not perfect, but I do not think there is a realistic way for us to get better than him this season.

Well I for one am glad that Carlo is the manager and not all of you suggesting we drop our top goal scorer. Yes there are better strikers out there, but that will always be the case unless King Saha was still about :p

No hiding place this year with that midfield behind him.

Rooting for him though - hope he can be a big success.

Wish more people had this attitude.

So what if you don't rate him (not you Mr Mkrudden.) Sick of reading the same old crap, from the same old posters. The lad is a trier, and he's constantly improving, yet some self appointed know it alls have deemed him not good enough, and are actually salivating at the prospect of him having a poor season.

I'm looking at you @ForeverBlue92. Mr "the vaults will be glorious."

Absolute embarrassment of a "supporter" and I use that word very loosely.

Yeah I’m theory it makes sense he will score more . He will also miss a lot more because he’s crap at shooting . No matter how you view it he’s a bad finisher and any goals he score will be less than a player that can actually finish. I don’t see why people can’t understand that having a striker than can’t finish is not as good as having one that is good at it

So you agree he’ll score more? Is scoring more than 15 in a season not a good thing?

Wish more people had this attitude.

So what if you don't rate him (not you Mr Mkrudden.) Sick of reading the same old crap, from the same old posters. The lad is a trier, and he's constantly improving, yet some self appointed know it alls have deemed him not good enough, and are actually salivating at the prospect of him having a poor season.

I'm looking at you @ForeverBlue92. Mr "the vaults will be glorious."

Absolute embarrassment of a "supporter" and I use that word very loosely.

There's no pleasing people sometimes.. and never throw in the Kane or vardy comparison of giving them time (more so vardy) because they have been proven PL goal scorers all their careers...

Seems to me there are other qualities that make an effective striker. DCL's strength, work-rate and aerial ability gets him a lot of shot opportunities, while (for example) Tosun is a better finisher but he's weak and slow.

DCL is not perfect, but I do not think there is a realistic way for us to get better than him this season.

Again it’s like Walcott and bolasie ... both are or were rapid . They could easily Alina full back for pace , but, I don’t see the point in getting into great positions by using pace and then over hitting a crops out of play or blasting a shot into the crowd . Also DCL doesn’t bring that many people into play, his all round game isn’t that good, or at least it’s nowhere near good enough to compensate for his lack of quality and ruthlessness in front of goal. He should sell now if we can while he is still relatively young and has “ potential” if we wait for another 2-3 years and he’s not good enough still, we have spent 7-8 years of having a crap striker who now everyone knows is not getting any better and won’t want .

So you agree he’ll score more? Is scoring more than 15 in a season not a good thing?

In theory what the poster says makes sense, have more shots and you would expect more goals . It’s also true by the same logic that he will have more moments where he misses. I don’t think his finishing ability guarantees a great increase in goals just because he gets more chances. His finishing hasn’t really improved that much in the last few years , last season he had a 10 game spell were things dropped for him or defenders and gk made mistakes that are rare. If you are depending on mistakes for your striker to score it’s not going to bode well against any of the top teams , and to try and win anything you will have to beat some of those teams. I guess it depends on if you believe he will ever become the player we need to get to the next level , I don’t believe he ever will be and so don’t see the point wasting time playing him and keeping him.

Again it’s like Walcott and bolasie ... both are or were rapid . They could easily Alina full back for pace , but, I don’t see the point in getting into great positions by using pace and then over hitting a crops out of play or blasting a shot into the crowd . Also DCL doesn’t bring that many people into play, his all round game isn’t that good, or at least it’s nowhere near good enough to compensate for his lack of quality and ruthlessness in front of goal. He should sell now if we can while he is still relatively young and has “ potential” if we wait for another 2-3 years and he’s not good enough still, we have spent 7-8 years of having a crap striker who now everyone knows is getting any better and will want .

Whoa whoa whoa you was talking since untill you turned into a boo boy

In theory what the poster says makes sense, have more shots and you would expect more goals . It’s also true by the same logic that he will have more moments where he misses. I don’t think his finishing ability guarantees a great increase in goals just because he gets more chances. His finishing hasn’t really improved that much in the last few years , last season he had a 10 game spell were things dropped for him or defenders and gk made mistakes that are rare. If you are depending on mistakes for your striker to score it’s not going to bode well against any of the top teams , and to try and win anything you will have to beat some of those teams. I guess it depends on if you believe he will ever become the player we need to get to the next level , I don’t believe he ever will be and so don’t see the point wasting time playing him and keeping him.

We've literally got a handful of players who would get on the bench of the top two. We are not in a position to demand every player is good enough to take us to the next level just yet. Just get behind the lad and hope he can improve again.

There's no pleasing people sometimes.. and never throw in the Kane or vardy comparison of giving them time (more so vardy) because they have been proven PL goal scorers all their careers...

Some people either have no clue about football, or have unrealistic expectations.

Dom is a target man, he's 23 year's old, and has just scored 13 goals in a season where he started 30 games. He's not gonna be Ronaldo mk1, he's not gonna be a hybrid of Lineker, Sharp and Beardsley. He is what he is, and as long as he puts himself about, I'm happy to support him whilst willing him to keep improving. ;)

We've literally got a handful of players who would get on the bench of the top two. We are not in a position to demand every player is good enough to take us to the next level just yet. Just get behind the lad and hope he can improve again.

DCL is a striker that is a mid to lower prem player at best. We have a top 4 manager , a decent chairman that is willing to back him . We just signed one of the most high profile players in the world and have a limited time to try and break into the next level ( top 6/ Europa ) we won’t get anywhere with DCL as first choice. Every team above us or that is in top 6-7 has a ruthless striker that scores goals ... DCL will never be that and so if we can’t afford one I would rather buy another striker with potential and give them ago

Some people either have no clue about football, or have unrealistic expectations.

Dom is a target man, he's 23 year's old, and has just scored 13 goals in a season where he started 30 games. He's not gonna be Ronaldo mk1, he's not gonna be a hybrid of Lineker, Sharp and Beardsley. He is what he is, and as long as he puts himself about, I'm happy to support him whilst willing him to keep improving. ;)

You can't say unrealistic expectations on here you will get slated for not being ambitious enough :p

Status
Not open for further replies.