2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call many of these 'lucky' or plonked 'on his head from 3 yards out' personally.

You must have linked the wrong video, half of that is him bobbling the ball in from 2 yards out and the other half is him just about to lose the ball.
if that’s not an Everton player, you aren’t watching that video thinking, wow, we have to sign this guy..

Richarlison has been a consistently good player. DCL has been mediocre with a purple patch, virtually all his goals involve someone plonking a cross on his head 3 yards out.

He’ll be 24 next season so people might be allowed to criticise him.
DCL's been gradually been getting better more like, Oh so now we're complaining about the type of goals he's scored after previously complaining he couldn't score to save his life Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

DCL has also consistently missed these chances all season. I don't really get your point.

He clearly hasn't. DCL has all the attributes to be a striker, quick, strong, can head a ball. You can see over time his game coming on more and more, and 15 goals is a good return for a club finishing 12th with a rubbish midfield, joint top with Richarlison with a better shots on target and minutes per goal ratio. And people are raving about Richarlison. Granted they're completely different players and Richarlison offers different qualities, but DCL is developing in to a very good player.

He clearly hasn't. DCL has all the attributes to be a striker, quick, strong, can head a ball. You can see over time his game coming on more and more, and 15 goals is a good return for a club finishing 12th with a rubbish midfield, joint top with Richarlison with a better shots on target and minutes per goal ratio. And people are raving about Richarlison. Granted they're completely different players and Richarlison offers different qualities, but DCL is developing in to a very good player.
He has? He can't finish. How many one-on-ones does he convert?

I'm not saying I don't like him either, by the way. I know he has his uses. He can't finish though. When do you ever see him drive at players with the ball?

Getting really tired of reading people say he only scores tap ins, scuffs or keeper errors so I went through the goals and even attached the clips. Make up your own mind but I think I was fair when I rated them. People ignore his good work because of his misses - all strikers miss.

I'm the first to admit he was quite poor at times post-restart and he looked knackered but I also wasn't expecting a great deal from any player after 3 months on their arse.

Sheff Wed: Quality first, normal second
Bournemouth: Great header
Man City: Robbed Coleman’s goal but not arsed, he’s a striker
Brighton: Great left-footed finish
Chelsea: 2 good finishes
Burnley: Amazing header
Newcastle: First is a good finish, second scuffed
West Ham: Cracking header
Newcastle: Great left-footed finish
Palace: Easy finish, 1 yard out
Arsenal: Great finish
United: "lucky” one

Sheff Wed (0.13s)

Bournemouth (1.10)

Man City (0.55s)

Brighton (1.17)

Chelesa (1.22 & 2.32)

Burnley (2.07)

Newcastle (0.39 & 2.0)

West Ham (1.29)

Newcastle (1.02)

Palace (2.40)

Arsenal (0.06)

United (0.07)

He has? He can't finish. How many one-on-ones does he convert?

I'm not saying I don't like him either, by the way. I know he has his uses. He can't finish though. When do you ever see him drive at players with the ball?

I think he's been a late bloomer to be fair. Everton signed him for his potential and he's obviously worked hard on his game as he's developing all the time. I'd say that the kind of striker he is, bar the odd anomaly they tend to start getting recognition as they get older, and that's when the goals start going in.

No doubt he is practicing finishing in training, but I reckon a lot of the work he's put in at Everton, has been on the other areas of his game, holding the ball up and trying to bring others in to play. That's the part of his game which has improved the most. DCL will have been told to hold the ball up and try and bring the wide players in to play, and then get in the box. Basically in the pro game it's all about not giving the ball away, and therefore allowing the team to create the shape and patterns they will have worked on. Lesser players give the ball away often and it's those transitions which kill the team.

We saw a little of it on Sunday to be fair. The ball was played up to Kean and more often than not it just came straight back, unless it was hit in to the space that bournemouth left in behind. That's probably why he hasn't started more, because as a team Everton have struggled with the transitions for years, and we are always vulnerable to the counter, cos the side has no mobility.

15 goals is still a decent return in a struggling side to be fair, and as I said earlier, he's the kind of striker who will keep improving on his game and get better. Whether he ends up being good enough, we don't know just yet, but there's a player there and I think he gets a lot of stick for things others players get a pass for.

Definitely agree with the later portion that I highlighted, however I think it was around 50%~
Majority of them was him being lucky
You just showed your horrible bias here friend. Dom has actually scored some very nice goals this year. Criticize him all you want but you are invalidating your point if you think his goals were ‘lucky.’

Getting really tired of reading people say he only scores tap ins, scuffs or keeper errors so I went through the goals and even attached the clips. Make up your own mind but I think I was fair when I rated them. People ignore his good work because of his misses - all strikers miss.

I'm the first to admit he was quite poor at times post-restart and he looked knackered but I also wasn't expecting a great deal from any player after 3 months on their arse.

Sheff Wed (0.13s)

Bournemouth (1.10)

Man City (0.55s)

Brighton (1.17)

Chelesa (1.22 & 2.32)

Burnley (2.07)

Newcastle (0.39 & 2.0)

West Ham (1.29)

Newcastle (1.02)

Palace (2.40)

Arsenal (0.06)

United (0.07)

Good work there agree 100% , some are losing their argument moving onto the type of goals he scores.
When getting good support from the midfield( Which has been rare this season) he brings so much to the team and ihas continued his improvement as well as his goal tally, a goal is a goal however it is scored.

I see DCL developing into the same type of striker as Graeme sharp, not prolific, but makes brings the rest of the team into the game. He's still 3-4 years away from peaking so he's got time.
If he becomes half as good as Graeme Sharp He will be amazing. Sharpy was the heartbeat of that Everton team and was great at bringing others in around him.

I think he's been a late bloomer to be fair. Everton signed him for his potential and he's obviously worked hard on his game as he's developing all the time. I'd say that the kind of striker he is, bar the odd anomaly they tend to start getting recognition as they get older, and that's when the goals start going in.

No doubt he is practicing finishing in training, but I reckon a lot of the work he's put in at Everton, has been on the other areas of his game, holding the ball up and trying to bring others in to play. That's the part of his game which has improved the most. DCL will have been told to hold the ball up and try and bring the wide players in to play, and then get in the box. Basically in the pro game it's all about not giving the ball away, and therefore allowing the team to create the shape and patterns they will have worked on. Lesser players give the ball away often and it's those transitions which kill the team.

We saw a little of it on Sunday to be fair. The ball was played up to Kean and more often than not it just came straight back, unless it was hit in to the space that bournemouth left in behind. That's probably why he hasn't started more, because as a team Everton have struggled with the transitions for years, and we are always vulnerable to the counter, cos the side has no mobility.

15 goals is still a decent return in a struggling side to be fair, and as I said earlier, he's the kind of striker who will keep improving on his game and get better. Whether he ends up being good enough, we don't know just yet, but there's a player there and I think he gets a lot of stick for things others players get a pass for.
This....I agreew would rather have continuous improvement than a flash in the pan striker who burns himself out and has an injury prone career cut short .
Honestly don't understand the angst against this lad when there's more experienced players on the park with him absolutely not arsed

His shots on target percentage is 54% with 70 shots vs Richarlisons which is 48% with 66 shots according to the BBC Figures.

Finding this website really interesting and helpful: https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/shooting/Premier-League-Stats

Quite revealing when it comes to DCL. If you look at the stat G-xG - you get an idea of how efficient a striker is. It's basically the difference between the goals he scored and the goals he would be expected to score based on the chances he had. It's not an exact science but it's useful reference point.

Top 3 in G-xG are as follows:

1. Harry Kane: +7.2 - ie he scored 7.2 more goals than he would have been expected to based on the chances he had
2. Mason Greenwood: +6.4
3. Anthony Martial: +6.0

8th place btw:
Richarlison: +4.0

Calvert-Lewin's G-xG score is -1.4 - so based on the chances he had he actually scored 1.4 goals fewer than he was expected to.
Obviously it isn't great, but for context here are some of the players who are around him and below him on this stat.

Wilfried Zaha: -1.3
Danny Welbeck: -1.4
Neal Maupay: -1.8
Teemu Pukki: -1.8
Michail Antonio: -1.9
Lucas Moura: -2.0
Ollie McBurnie: -2.3
Moise Kean: -2.4
Callum Wilson: -2.7
Joelinton: -3.0
Firmino: -4.6
Gabriel Jesus: -4.7
David McGoldrick: -5.1

FWIW I think it's definitely worth persisting with Dom and keeping on working him very hard on his finishing. He's still got room for improvement and signing another striker of his quality would be costly. He's almost scores the goals he would be expected to score based on the chances we give him. If we give him more chances, his goals will go up. But he's not going to be elite until he starts doing what the best strikers do and pinging them in from all angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.