2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame for the lad as I think he could have made the euros squad of it had been this summer with Kane and Rashford potentially coming back from injury and other players not really staking a claim.

Will be difficult next season as the likes of Greenwood and Abraham would go ahead of him based on the clubs they play for if they show any sort of decent form, and the likes of Wilson and even Deeney seem to have more of a media backing than DCL does. I think the only way he does it is if his numbers are too good to ignore.

Shame for the lad as I think he could have made the euros squad of it had been this summer with Kane and Rashford potentially coming back from injury and other players not really staking a claim.

Will be difficult next season as the likes of Greenwood and Abraham would go ahead of him based on the clubs they play for if they show any sort of decent form, and the likes of Wilson and even Deeney seem to have more of a media backing than DCL does. I think the only way he does it is if his numbers are too good to ignore.

...he’s progressive and needs to continue an upward path. An advantage is that he was part of an England World Cup winning team and the strategy has always been for a number of those players to have a pathway to the full international side.

He’s got the physical ammunition and enough quality to leapfrog many of those you mention.

...he’s progressive and needs to continue an upward path. An advantage is that he was part of an England World Cup winning team and the strategy has always been for a number of those players to have a pathway to the full international side.

He’s got the physical ammunition and enough quality to leapfrog many of those you mention.

Whilst I agree with your assessment of DCL we all know how the media sway selection for the national team. Jagielka and Lescott were an unbelievable centreback pairing in 2010 probably second only to Vidic and Ferdinand yet at the World Cup neither made the squad with the media demanding Carragher was included for his experience and Matthew Upson neither of whom were anywhere near to being in the same league as Jags and Lescott at the time. Perennial crock Ledley King was included for a laugh and Michael Dawson also got selected due to playing for a team that kept finishing behind Everton in that period. Stephen Warnock was the reserve left back instead of Leighton Baines who was arguably one of the best in Europe at the time.

If you play for United Liverpool Arsenal Spurs Chelsea then your case for making the England squad is far greater than if you play for Everton or Villa or Newcastle. I still remember 2012 when Hodgson basically picked the entire Liverpool team including Martin Kelly. Can you imagine if Jack Grealish played for United or Liverpool? There wouldn’t even be a question of his selection. It’s the same with DCL, if he’d hit the number of goals he has for us for one of those teams ive named he’d be an absolute certainty for selection. As it is with us he’s just hoping he might make the squad if others are injured.

Whilst I agree with your assessment of DCL we all know how the media sway selection for the national team. Jagielka and Lescott were an unbelievable centreback pairing in 2010 probably second only to Vidic and Ferdinand yet at the World Cup neither made the squad with the media demanding Carragher was included for his experience and Matthew Upson neither of whom were anywhere near to being in the same league as Jags and Lescott at the time. Perennial crock Ledley King was included for a laugh and Michael Dawson also got selected due to playing for a team that kept finishing behind Everton in that period. Stephen Warnock was the reserve left back instead of Leighton Baines who was arguably one of the best in Europe at the time.

If you play for United Liverpool Arsenal Spurs Chelsea then your case for making the England squad is far greater than if you play for Everton or Villa or Newcastle. I still remember 2012 when Hodgson basically picked the entire Liverpool team including Martin Kelly. Can you imagine if Jack Grealish played for United or Liverpool? There wouldn’t even be a question of his selection. It’s the same with DCL, if he’d hit the number of goals he has for us for one of those teams ive named he’d be an absolute certainty for selection. As it is with us he’s just hoping he might make the squad if others are injured.
Reading this post makes me so angry because you’re right.

Remember the one time Jagielka and Baines were first choice for England at the 2014 World Cup, and they were scapegoated and absolutely ripped to bits by everyone and the media made sure they never played again? Rooney couldn’t kick a ball anywhere near a teammate and no one said anything.

Remember the one time Jagielka and Baines were first choice for England at the 2014 World Cup, and they were scapegoated and absolutely ripped to bits by everyone and the media made sure they never played again? Rooney couldn’t kick a ball anywhere near a teammate and no one said anything.
Gerrard puts Suarez through on goal for Uruguay’s winner and Jagielka still got some blame for that as well

Sterling was absolutely woeful this World Cup, like really really bad and should’ve been taken out the team but the media said nowt. The favouritism was unreal.

They ignored Gerrard and Henderson being dominated by a semi retired Pirlo (again) and just focussed on whether Hodgson should have asked Terry and Ashley Cole out of retirement so he didn’t have to play the two Everton players who had ruined everything for England.

They ignored Gerrard and Henderson being dominated by a semi retired Pirlo (again) and just focussed on whether Hodgson should have asked Terry and Ashley Cole out of retirement so he didn’t have to play the two Everton players who had ruined everything for England.
Wow your last few posts about England have really pissed me off because of how correct they are.

I think there will be big changes in how the game is protracted after this virus pandemic ends. The money in the game will undoubtedly take a hit.

Hopefully Everton will emerge as a different entity with a vibrant, quality squad once Carlo has added new signings.

We will start to see his team take shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.