2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree mate - but some go on like Ings is 32 the lad is 27 and if he carries on in this form you would have a good 4-5 years of him.

Some fans just dont rate anyone over 25 whos not at a top CL or hipster club.
Think his short time at the RS and his injury there will always colour some posters attitude towards him. He's a decent striker who was a decent price,let's face it he'd have been a far better buy than Tosun or Niasse.

But we need 4x strikers if we are playing 4-4-2 going forward and hopefully in Europe.

Therefore its either a punt abroad that could be another Tosun or someone who's a proven goalscorer in this league.
Yeh I agree we need more depth up top especially with 2 strikers playing. We need another good striker to challenge the starting 2 of DCL and richarlison. I’m not sure who would be the join to be a fourth choice striker though, maybe give Simms a few games?
id take Wilson or ings

But its not a question of DCL or Ings - We need 4 strikers at the club going forward but only have 3.

My whole argument is Ings should be a summer target if we are to be able to compete on more than 1 front effectively whereas others just snigger thinking we'll reach top 4 or go the distance in the cups with DCL and Richarlison playing every week (maybe 2 games a week if we qualfiy for europe) and Kean hasn't exactly shown he's ready yet as he? So thats 2 reliable CF's you could argue.
Ings would require a fee that wouldn't be worthwhile which is why people are turning there nose up at it, He's Southamptons best player and goal scorer so we're talking 30-40 million starting bid.

As in that's 5 more years of pro football to collate stats... you moron.

But those 5 years were hit with injury, playing under Sgt Major Dyche & stuck on Liverpools bench.

And even not excusing those 5 years - some players bloom late as I said Drogba was gash in his early twenties - not every case is the same.

Ings would require a fee that wouldn't be worthwhile which is why people are turning there nose up at it, He's Southamptons best player and goal scorer so we're talking 30-40 million starting bid.

In a world of Joelinton and Tosun costing £30-40 million he'll be worth every penny mate.

Fair play to DCL this season really stepped up his awareness and positioning, especially in the box. Do think though he is still pretty bad at actually dribbling at players but I guess there is still a decent amount of time to improve.

In a world of Joelinton and Tosun costing £30-40 million he'll be worth every penny mate.
So you want Ings so we don't waste big money on a gamble striker like Tosun or Joelinton, I mean fair enough but I don't think there is any value in it. Ings could be Michu next year.

So you want Ings so we don't waste big money on a gamble striker like Tosun or Joelinton, I mean fair enough but I don't think there is any value in it. Ings could be Michu next year.

He could or he could end up going to say Leicester, replicating his goal scoring form and be Vardys eventual successor which is something we have failed to do in 3 years having lost Lukaku.

Even the likes of Haller (who I rated) had come in from abroad after scoring a load of goals for £45 million and been a flop my point is EVERY signing is a risk.

The reason why Leicester for example have won the PL and have qualified for the CL is because they have signed players to fit the needs of their system - they didnt care if Vardy was a non league player or Maddison was unproven in the PL or Perez wasnt a fancy big name signing.

Our club and fans on the otherhand dont rate any potential signing unless its a fancy name from abroad or someone under 25 (Zataraitis).

He could or he could end up going to say Leicester, replicating his goal scoring form and be Vardys eventual successor which is something we have failed to do in 3 years having lost Lukaku.

Even the likes of Haller (who I rated) had come in from abroad after scoring a load of goals for £45 million and been a flop my point is EVERY signing is a risk.

The reason why Leicester for example have won the PL and have qualified for the CL is because they have signed players to fit the needs of their system - they didnt care if Vardy was a non league player or Maddison was unproven in the PL or Perez wasnt a fancy big name signing.

Our club and fans on the otherhand dont rate any potential signing unless its a fancy name from abroad or someone under 25 (Zataraitis).
I think our fans generally prefer signings from abroad and gravitate towards younger players because of how consistently unsuccessful our habit of overspending on ageing, mediocre players from the Prem over the last few years has turned out.

I think the vast majority of people on this forum would love to have Danny Ings in our side but given his cost, his injury record and his age I think it’s understandable that some would prefer we look elsewhere.

Think his short time at the RS and his injury there will always colour some posters attitude towards him. He's a decent striker who was a decent price,let's face it he'd have been a far better buy than Tosun or Niasse.

He isn't a bad player, as a poaching striker.

He's also made of glass. Having met the guy and spent some time when I worked at Burnley, he's a good character but he's legs are made of sugar laces.

I think our fans generally prefer signings from abroad and gravitate towards younger players because of how consistently unsuccessful our habit of overspending on ageing, mediocre players from the Prem over the last few years has turned out.

I think the vast majority of people on this forum would love to have Danny Ings in our side but given his cost, his injury record and his age I think it’s understandable that some would prefer we look elsewhere.

The reality is we have just as much wasted money abroad - Tosun, Niasse, Klaassan, Onyekuru, Vlasic all players signed for big fees who havent produced the goods - add Sandro on big wages and £27 million on Kean who's only scored 1 goal all season and its baffling how some think there isnt risk involved in every signing.

He isn't a bad player, as a poaching striker.

He's also made of glass. Having met the guy and spent some time when I worked at Burnley, he's a good character but he's legs are made of sugar laces.
Unlucky to have both knees go on him but at 18m he was a decent risk which as we stand seems to be coming off for Soton. Every player is one twist or turn away from a season out. If he stops scoring we'll have forgotten him in a few weeks,if he plays in the Euros and does well no doubt he'll keep scoring against us on a regular basis.

Unlucky to have both knees go on him but at 18m he was a decent risk which as we stand seems to be coming off for Soton. Every player is one twist or turn away from a season out. If he stops scoring we'll have forgotten him in a few weeks,if he plays in the Euros and does well no doubt he'll keep scoring against us on a regular basis.

I've no issue with him, good luck to him but unfortunately as you've put, he's one dodgy turn away from another lengthy spell. I like the guy having known him for a bit at Burnley, good poacher but can you really expect to get a full season out of him? Dont think so. Southampton will be hoping they can for their sake.

If he is great for us all - my point is I find it odd how everyone laughs at the notion of signing a bloke who's starting to look to have gotten over their injury problems and actually being quite decent.

They would rather we throw £30 million at a Tosun abroad than £50 million at a bloke who's scoring every week in the league.

Its ludicrous.
£50 million on Danny Ings ??
You cannot be serious ?

£50 million on Danny Ings ??
You cannot be serious ?

Tosun: £27 million - total punt
Kean: £27 million - young highly rated
Joelinton: £40 million - total punt
Haller: £45 million - proven goalscorer

All four of those were different "types of signings" mate for big money yet all four so far haven't done the business.

Im not saying our starting bid should be that - but the days of £40-50 million being massive money is over mate certainly for strikers.

The top CF's who are CL level are going for £70 million+ these days. We would want minimum £100 million for Richarlison probably even more than that and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.