2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he "never scores again" then he'll be lucky if he plays in the Vanarama Conference by the time he retires.

He played excellently yesterday, as he did against Clesea and Arsenal. The chances didn't fall his way yesterday which is fine, but a huge chance did fall his way against Fulham to get us a precious goal and he blew it.

We aren't going to rout every team we play 4-0 with goals coming from everywhere. There are going to be games where we don't play as well and may rely on taking our only chance of the game to get a draw or win. Odds are that chances will normally fall to the striker and he will have to take them or he won't be getting started.

He is playing extremely well now but anyone who thinks that it is not important that he scores goals is misguided. It is rare that an attacking midfielder and winger will both score the amount of goals that Sigurdsson and Richarlison have in the same season for a team in our position.

We'll need better from our strikers next season and for the first time with Calvert-Lewin, I'm pretty confident that he will be able to provide his fair share.
Absolutely this ^^. He's doing a very good job up front on his own at the moment but he has to add goals to his game. Not necessarily 20+ goals per season but he needs to provide 10-15 every season if we are ever to get near the top 4 with him as our main striker.

If he doesn't add more goals to his game he'll be replaced. I hope he does.

If he can improve his finishing he will be a good player. His overall play and run are beneficial to the team movement upfront.

If he can improve his finishing he will be a good player. His overall play and run are beneficial to the team movement upfront.

...he’ll definitely get more goals but he’ll never be prolific. The penny will drop and he’ll realise he’s formidable in the air and that can be a particularly lucrative area for him to exploit as far as goals are concerned (I think he got a flick-on for the Richarlison goal yesterday).

He’ll lack the awareness of a goalscorer but he has got a dig on him like a mule and he’ll get a few blasters. Takes a very good penalty too.

BBC Sport column, context being Man United should have played a high line due to Bernard and DCL not being the quickest.
Interesting. Bernard is quick without being exceptionally fast. DCL is fast without being exceptionally quick. I enjoy that they just left Richarlison out of the equation seemingly.

Going off what logic??? The logic that DCL positively influences a game of football better than lukaku? It's not a one off.... you ever seen lukaku do what DCL did yesterday? I haven't. Cos he can't... you are struggling with this concept arent you.

No, I am fully aware that he influenced the game , you telling me Lukaku didn’t influence games when scoring 20 goals a season?

...no chance, Sharp was the best back to goal striker I have ever seen. Technically brilliant, I spoke to somebody who marked him and never once saw the ball when it was hit into his body. DCL could be a similar type to Sharp in that he’ll never be prolific but he’ll be effective. His pace and athleticism is superior to Sharp’s but he’s got a long way to go on ability.

I have a great pal, though, who said Sharp was useless because he was a striker who didn’t score goals. Lineker, Gray, Heath and Cottee liked him. Goals are important but not everything in a forward.

Sharp scored goals out of nothing and scored in some massive games. His finishing was good even tho he didn’t score as much as lineker etc he still contributed goals. Also a lone striker wasn’t the thing back in those days .

Status
Not open for further replies.