2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
..not sure that is the case. I imagine if you’re a CB, you might be a bit more anxious at the prospect of playing against DCL than Tosun.
Tosun is stronger, better link up, can actually hold the ball up and a better finisher.

People going ott again like they did when dcl got two against Sunderland last year, just waiting for the shouts comparing him to Kane, sharp, etc again like last year

Tosun is stronger, better link up, can actually hold the ball up and a better finisher.

People going ott again like they did when dcl got two against Sunderland last year, just waiting for the shouts comparing him to Kane, sharp, etc again like last year

..nah, he’s not Kane but as I posted a week or so ago he might just suit the way Silva wants to play. He’s always been quite efficient with his hold up play but that will definitely improve as he gets older. There have been quotes that DCL is the strongest individual at the club.

I expect a CF is on Silva’s shopping list but until that happens I wouldn’t be surprised if DCL sees plenty of game time starting as the main striker.

Last edited:
He didn't deliver when he had the chance last season and I have to say I never get the sense that he poses a threat when he is around the box. Having said that, happy to give him a chance in all league cup and fa cup games.

Unusually for him his game was a complete role reversal from his usual one. His finishing and positioning were both excellent whilst his technique and general play were quite poor. Normally he’s sound technically but cant hit a barn door.

These were my exact thoughts about last night - thanks for articulating them for me.

He didn't deliver when he had the chance last season and I have to say I never get the sense that he poses a threat when he is around the box. Having said that, happy to give him a chance in all league cup and fa cup games.

Didn’t deliver? Against what benchmark? 20 year old rookie striker asked to lead the line? Compare the stats on them and see how he comes out.

I digress from the DCL debate but for the older lids on here it makes us appreciate how lucky we were to have had Joe Royle lead the line. Arguably the best years of his career were between the age of 18 & 21 when he was scoring at the rate of 1 every 2 games. In 69/70 when we won the league he played every game and didn't become 21 until April 1970. This was an era with plenty of very hard defenders (some quite vicious!). Sadly, Joe's career together with the team's fortunes ebbed far too soon. Although he played for a good few seasons all that early effort knackered his back. @Joey66

Who had the chance to deliver last season? Nobody, apart from Pickford, of course.

However, this season, the signs are that the team does have goals in it.

I digress from the DCL debate but for the older lids on here it makes us appreciate how lucky we were to have had Joe Royle lead the line. Arguably the best years of his career were between the age of 18 & 21 when he was scoring at the rate of 1 every 2 games. In 69/70 when we won the league he played every game and didn't become 21 until April 1970. This was an era with plenty of very hard defenders (some quite vicious!). Sadly, Joe's career together with the team's fortunes ebbed far too soon. Although he played for a good few seasons all that early effort knackered his back. @Joey66

..even Fred Pickering and more lately Bob Latchford where big, traditional CFs who knew where the net was. I think DCL will be more like Graham Sharp, in that players will flourish from playing off him.

The stick he got after the GV had long gone on the terraces was immense, as a young teenager I used to tell them to shut up not very politely he struggled for at least two seasons before becoming the great centre forward he was - his workrate was incredible- a lone striker with a great world class midfield. and with winger like Husband, and Moggsy then Whittle who fed off him a great no 9 who led the line bravely as you point out no protection in those days......
Bally inspired the team, and Capt Labone kept order........
Joe just scored..... and his all round play just kept on improving till his back injury......

I agree with all that - lack of pace though - just needs a goal or two ?

Status
Not open for further replies.