2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marco was asked about DCL in the presser today
"To be honest I'm happy with him, but I want more. I want more because he has the quality to give more to the team and improve more, and more and more. He has some specific skills I like in a striker. He knows what I expect from him and the work we are doing with him. He started the last three matches because he deserves it as well and I believe in him."

Spot on from Marco. There was a phase of play yesterday where Bernard robbed the ball brilliantly, was running in on goal but obvious his little legs wouldn't outstrip the defence so he needed someone to pass to. DCL was simply jogging to get into the box. He HAS to be sprinting to get up there and demanding a pass and demanding a goal of himself.

That's my main concern of him, the fact that I don't think he's demanding of himself as a striker to score goals. He's got a lot of things he's good at though and fair play to Silva, he's given him a run of 3 games now and he's basically demanding more of him if he wants to be a success here.

Spot on from Marco. There was a phase of play yesterday where Bernard robbed the ball brilliantly, was running in on goal but obvious his little legs wouldn't outstrip the defence so he needed someone to pass to. DCL was simply jogging to get into the box. He HAS to be sprinting to get up there and demanding a pass and demanding a goal of himself.

That's my main concern of him, the fact that I don't think he's demanding of himself as a striker to score goals. He's got a lot of things he's good at though and fair play to Silva, he's given him a run of 3 games now and he's basically demanding more of him if he wants to be a success here.
Yep , I thought exactly the same re the Bernard run , DCL was nowhere that he could receive a pass back as he was blocked off by defenders. With his pace he should have been haring inside the box hoping Bernard would hit a ball across the six yard box for him to slide into .

Yep , I thought exactly the same re the Bernard run , DCL was nowhere that he could receive a pass back as he was blocked off by defenders. With his pace he should have been haring inside the box hoping Bernard would hit a ball across the six yard box for him to slide into .

Yep and you know top strikers Sniff out those type of goals ( easy tap ins or getting in front of your man) and this is something he has to understand and be more demanding of himself. Jogging into the box and then waving his arms once the shot was blocked won't cut it at this level.

Both Silva and Brands have singled him out as being special, some players are ‘slow burn’ types and all at the club seem to rate the lad very highly, so I doubt he is going anywhere soon? He does frustrate, but I do believe he is improving and that if the club continues to show faith in him, he will come good.

Status
Not open for further replies.