2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
who would take him? Palace maybe could do with him but cant think of many hed improve
Any squad outside the top 6 would have him as part of it. He probably wouldn't be first choice in all of them but I reckon he'd be a starter in at least 4/5.

He's third choice with us whilst he's still developing, and has been playing this season due to our injury list. Now we're getting our full squad together you'll se cameo's like at the weekend and I expect him to be just as effective as teams tire.

He’d do very well there. He’s a similar type of player to King. For some reason plenty on here seem to want us to get King but get rid of DCL. It’s very confusing. DCL will end up a much better player.
He needs to continue improving. No guarantees either way but it's wrong to just assume that he will. He's certainly a level above what King was at the same age though.

There is no reason to hate on young players.
There is also no reason to play them at all if they arnt good enough.
Well actually there are two reasons to play them.

The first reason is that there is nobody else in the club who is fit to play and a better option than the said player. As has been the case far too many times with the likes of DCL, Davies Kenny and Holgate.

The second reason to play them is to try and develop them. I can understand why some would be against this, especially when there are better players available, but I believe that a good manager can manage this by introducing them into games where we are comfortable without effecting the overall result.

But let's be totally honest here. More than 90% of the occasions when young players have started for us is because we donlt have anybody better available to play.

DCL is a good option off the bench. I wouldn't want him as our first choice striker but he's certainly good enough to bring on late in games when we need something different. We were crying out for someone like this when Lukaku was here its a shame they only got one season together. Hopefully we sign a top class striker in the summer and then depending on Tosun could look at loaning him out to another Premier League club where he could work on his finishing. I can guarantee he would be a starter for at least 10 of them. If Tosun doesn't fancy being back up keep him as sub here. Not all great strikers score 20 plus some score 10-15 but bring others into play and if wide players and number 10 contribute enough as a team the goal tally will still be good.

Well actually there are two reasons to play them.

The first reason is that there is nobody else in the club who is fit to play and a better option than the said player. As has been the case far too many times with the likes of DCL, Davies Kenny and Holgate.

The second reason to play them is to try and develop them. I can understand why some would be against this, especially when there are better players available, but I believe that a good manager can manage this by introducing them into games where we are comfortable without effecting the overall result.

But let's be totally honest here. More than 90% of the occasions when young players have started for us is because we donlt have anybody better available to play.
Ofcourse, thats not what I ment. If we dont have any other choice, we ofc have to play them. And Im not against developing players, I just dont like it when its a gamble. Develop them in cups against league 1 teams, and give them the last 15 in games we're comfortably winning. Dont replace sesoned pros able to win us points or cup progression just to develop a player which may never become good enough anyway. I get that you never know how good a player is going to become unless you play him, but you know what, Id rather we won a cup than produced 3 Tom Davis' right now. And Im not hating on Davis, I really like him as a player, but we havent won anything in literal decades. Oafs supporting other teams call us Neverton for gods sake. I want us to go for it and if we are to go for it, we cant be developing Davis in midfield and dropping Gomes to the bench, for example.
Im not saying Silva or anyone is doing that now, just giving my view on the topic. Id much prefer us sending young players out on loan with quality teams. If we said Tom was available for loan, Im sure a low level PL team would bring him in, where he could improve them and play high level football every week.

This is the DCL thread tho, so let me just bring it all together by saying I do not think DCL should go on loan. He seems a better player this season than last, and he seemed a better player last season than the one before - He is for sure improving. I think he's good enough to help our team in some matches, but he is not good enough to be in the first eleven every game. Impact sub seems to fit him, and getting chances against tired defenders doesnt hurt his scoring chances either.

Interesting to read he was a CM, winger and even CB going up the ranks before turning into a striker at 16.

Maybe this is the reason he doesn't really have that killer instinct goalscorers seem to have? I'll assume the ruthless finishers were bagging goals for fun even as like 8-year olds.
Most professional footballers would have scored 40 goals a season when they were playing kids football from whatever position they played

I'm kind of in the loan category. He's got some great physical tools, but would be nice to see him put it all together at a slightly lower level. He might continue to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.