Do you think you will ever see Everton win the title again in your lifetime?

will you see Everton lift the Premier League Trophy in your life time

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue_aussie05

Player Valuation: £8m
Serious question.

I was lucky enough to see us become champions in 85 and 87. I know there's people on here who saw us win it in 70 and also 63.

However, there are younger people in here who have either only see us win one trophy (the FA Cup in 95), or not seen us win anything at all.

Although winning a cup is fantastic, for me it doesn't somehow create the same feeling of challenging for the title, and being the number one team over the season.

The way football has become since Sky, and the massive money it generates, it saddens me to think that we can't compete at the moment to even get in the category of 'title challengers', let alone winning it.

I remember the 70s and 80s, where lesser known sides challenged from nowhere. There's absolutely no chance anyone could currently win the Premier League the season they are promoted, such as Forest in 78, without a significant money advantage.

Unless the arse falls out of football, I can't ever see us challenging or winning the title again, unless we get bought out by a sugar daddy.

So the question is, how long will it take, and what will it take, for us to experience the buzz of us as champions again?

Discuss.

Yeah I can see it happening but it will take one of two things to happen.

Either we'll get bought out by some mega rich benefactor or investment vehicle and we'll be bank rolled enough to win it or the mega rich clubs will form a Super European break away league and we'll be left with the likes of Spurs and Villa fighting it out in the Premiership.

Of the two I think the second scenario is the most likely though.

It would take a freak season for anyone to win it who aren't expected to. It's possible though. Liverpool came pretty close last season to be fair and no one saw that coming.

Honestly, no.

Look at the list of title winners since the start of the PL. What is it - 5 different teams? How many different teams in the previous 25 years? I think it's about ten different teams if you go back to 1966 - 67.

The common factor in those 5 is (or was, in Blackburn's case) money, we don't have enough of it. It won't get you the title on its own, but without it there's no chance.

We could get lucky a la City, but I can't see it.

It's pretty obvious that only money can win the league, the contenders, and even the tier below (Man U, RS, Spurs, Arse) carry squads of 25+ genuine internationals. What do we have, maybe 18 genuine first team options. To just pay those squads on monthly basis costs tens of millions.

Winners need either sugar daddy or year on year ability to generate income to spend 100m on players annually a la RS.

Oh for the days of Derby County and Forest mixing it

It would take a freak season for anyone to win it who aren't expected to. It's possible though. Liverpool came pretty close last season to be fair and no one saw that coming.

But that's ignoring they've had years and years of massive investment, spending money hand over fist but achieving nothing in the league relative to the funding. It's bound to come off at one point for a club that spends as much as they do, at the minute we can only dream of wasting the same amounts of cash. Spurs are another example of it, they've thrown all kinds of money trying to compete only to continually fail. I wouldn't be surpised to see them get close or win it when you look at the money they've spent over the years.

We're in a different race sadly and will be until there's major changes.

Yeah I can see it happening but it will take one of two things to happen.

Either we'll get bought out by some mega rich benefactor or investment vehicle and we'll be bank rolled enough to win it or the mega rich clubs will form a Super European break away league and we'll be left with the likes of Spurs and Villa fighting it out in the Premiership.

Of the two I think the second scenario is the most likely though.

Actually, part of me wishes the likes of City, Utd, Chelski, the Arse and maybe even the RS would just do one to some parallel universe that is a Michel Platini dreamland of a true European League along with Barca, Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern and eight or ten other assorted "money" clubs... never to bother us all again, leaving us and the rest to form a new top division of English footie with clubs operated along relatively sensible financial lines. The winners and FACup winners could then go forward into European competitions with their counterparts from the other countries.

No.

Not enough time, not enough money.

And most of you young pups will anyway end up watching the team in Division 4 of the Sky World League of Soccerball....

Status
Not open for further replies.