Do you agree with Roberto r.e. transfer window?

Should the transfer window end before the season begins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

benblue

Player Valuation: £25k
wanted to gauge people's views on this issue as to whether the transfer window should end a month early before the season gets under way. The question assumes this is possible and that all leagues across Europe would do the same.

Roberto has said for the past 3 summers how unfair this is on fans and the club when someone ie United or Chelsea come in for stones / Fellaini at the last minute and heavily disrupt the player and everyone else. To be honest I do agee with him in this respect but we've done quite well out of most of those deals and (arteta aside!!) always managed to reinvest before that window closes. It plays to the advantage of the richer clubs who more often than not will cause as much fuss and hype as possible to get their man, to the detriment of the selling team over the first 4/5 games of their season, regardless of whether they end up selling or not (in the case of stones).

That aside its actually not that which worries me most, the general state of the window and what it has become is to the detriment of the game. Don't get me wrong I used to love deadline day, it was actually exciting constantly checking the news! It just seems the last few seasons it's gotten out of hand, particularly with respect to sky's coverage, I mean there are adverts on tv for it... FFS. It's compounding the point roberto is trying to make, the distraction and pressure being put on players is immense. I can't pretend to know what's going on in John stones mind but I can't help but feel that players happy at clubs may/are being pressured into moves, all to sell papers and fill screen time. Imagine if you were that young players, fresh off a fantastic season, enjoying your game and then all of a sudden this storm of ex-pro's decend telling anyone that'll listen you need to move now, you'd be stupid not too, you can't stay! I can't say in that position I wouldn't panic myself! Fantastic players, who've had great careers and won it all telling you what to do, albeit under there new role as 'football expert' for newspaper X and Y. Again creating hype for the sake of selling papers, I mean someone will get a 3 match ban for swearing in a news conference and 'bringing the game into disrepute' but sky do what they want and we've forgotten that there's a game on!!! If anyone listened to 5live before before 1st leg of United gane vs Brugge, it was 1hours buildup about who Utd would buy to partner Rooney!

My biggest worry of all falls with sky, in particular the fact that they have sky bet. All this circus and rubbish rumour come and go. All the while they're taking bets on who Charlie Austin will end up at. I use that example as a few weeks ago he was nailed on to turn up at finch farm, now Utd are odds on favourite! Surely, this isn't right? The more rubbish they drum up the more money they make, who cares if X at west brom is unsettled or if Sunderland have got a game tomorrow?? Maybe that's just me being cynical??

Personally I side with roberto, I can't see a single benefit of the window being open after the fist ball is kicked. You may say it gives an extra month to do deals, especially with euros or world cups, but at the end of the day if you give someone 3 months to do a job they'll do it in 3 months. I also see why it would be more fair if it finished before the season starts, particularly in levelling the playing field across the league to some small degree. With no games means less pressure on the player, there aren't pre match pundits talking about you for an hour every week. Less likely to try to force a move, the manager isn't going to have to leave him out for a big game because his head isn't right!

Anyway that's my 2 cents, interesting to see what everyone else thinks. Although I will say this, favourite bit of sky coverage in the last few years was deadline day seeing that reporter at finch farm get hit with the purple dildo...

The answer is "yes" it should.

But until all the major leagues around Europe start on the same day if will remain as it us.

It's there so we have to live with it.
Yes. Agreed with all that.
Everton taking a stand may move other clubs to also show some strength and not sell players when the season begins. Who knows. But it will be difficult to see anything change.

I'm guessing the original date that was set at 1st September every year is to do with the champions league? I guess for me it was not the fact that it was open beyond the start of the season but the media coverage and manipulation of the whole thing, particularly favours themselves and the richer clubs to the detriment of football

How would that work? I mean, fair enough, I know a tea bag hangs around in the cups longer than we do, but we'd still end up with fixture congestion. How could Barry play 3 games a week?

Ah.

Got you. Genius mate.

Could just be stretched to the first week of June, don't know.

It's terribly unfair as it allows the money clubs a few games to assess their squads performance and then go fill in any holes. We weren't hearing about how Chelsea were desperate for a defender two months ago, like.

The irony is that what we currently have was in effect a response to the problems that we're supposedly caused by having a transfer window that was open for about 90% of the season.

Football is a global game .Worldwide seasons aren't in sync so say our window closed on the day our season opened or even a week before how would that work ? Could English clubs still do business with a team in a country where they are still in pre season or vis versa

Would it be fair that Spanish teams could still buy a Player from an English club a week after our season started . Or what about the MLS whose season is what March to October?

What about the mid season transfer window? Would that go? It's strange for every manager that has gone on about this transfer window seems to forget about that one.

For me to we are where we are. The window isn't Sky's marketing tool they purely hype things to enhance the number of us mugs that pay subscription TV.

Yes the current system is flawed but in truth be careful what you wish for.

I don't like windows anyway. Lets get back to the old days when you could sign players throughout the season until the last month or so. That didn't seem to cause the clubs any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.