Do we really need that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymzee

Player Valuation: £150m
Going to go full Zat here but it's an extremely slow day in the office and I'm tired of seeing a thousand threads pop up re: Allardyce. The title poses the question I want to ask the forum - do we really need many changes to the squad next season? Now I know we've been turgid to watch this season but a lot of that has been down to the system and also the poor form & confidence of the squad. Personally I don't want to see many incomings this summer as I think we're unsettled enough, it's a World Cup year and I honestly don't think we're far off. I'll dissect my reasoning below with the ultimate goal of improving but not having to spend like we did last year:

GOALKEEPER (2)

1: Pickford
2: New GK

Lowest priority out there so I don't mind heading into the new season with Joel (if he stays) or Stek. Out of the young lads only Hilton has looked half decent so he can be third. Lots of the academy keepers need binning like Gray, Hewelt etc. They will never make it here.

DEFENCE (9)

CB: RFM
CB: Keane
CB: Holgate
CB: New Starting CB
CB: Possibly Feeney/Gibson if one or neither gets a loan.

LB: New LB
LB: Robinson
RB: Coleman
RB: Kenny

I'd like to see Holgate given a starting chance next to either RFM or a new starting left-sided CB. I mean sure two brand new starters would be good but again that's just even more fresh faces to get to know each others game. I mean it's 100% going to be Baines there next season but would love a new powerful, fast LB and I'd give Robinson a spot as second choice for cups/injuries.

Sell: Jags, Williams, Cuco, Baines, Pennington, Browning, Galloway, Garbutt

MIDFIELD (8)

CDM: Gana
CDM: Baningime
CM: New Starting CM
CM: Sigurdsson
CM: Vlasic
CM: Davies
CAM: Dowell
CAM: Lookman

Tell the defensive mid to purely mop up, pass to a better player & cover both full-backs that will be asked to bomb on whenever possible. 2 centre mids playing around him with high energy but also high quality. I'd start Sig and a new face (Ozyakup?) there who have a bit of freedom in their positioning. Davies, Vlasic etc. to be their understudies. Whilst I would love to sign a world class attacking mid for the hole I do feel we're hitting a transitional period where we can afford to try see just what Dowell and Lookman can do.

Sell: Grant, Mirallas, Bolasie, Klaassen (just don't think he'll ever adapt his game), Schneiderlin (would keep if he can play good consistently), McCarthy is injured so he's no use to us here or sold yet but I'd consider keeping.

FORWARDS (5)

ST: Cenk
ST: Walcott
ST: DCL
ST: Sandro
ST: Henry

Would start Cenk and Walcott together - I know he's looked good out wide but he's more productive centrally to me and this saves us spending a bomb on 2-3 more wingers. DCL and Sandro (if we can't offload) to be their back-up and also Henry who can play wide as well as through the middle. Maybe our version of Jamie Vardy tactics?

Sell: Sorry Oumar but you're gone along with academy flops ike Henen, Sambou etc.

So a first team squad of 24 there with 4-5 new signings needed supplemented by a lot of outgoings if possible. I'd loan out people like Feeney, Gibson, Connolly, Evans, Hornby etc. Maybe see how Williams looks in pre-season but reckon we'll sell him myself. Don't see it as too difficult to do with this dodgy transfer window we have this year.
I think with how bad the PL is and how much worse it'll be with teams like Cardiff and Millwall possibly coming up we can easily finish 7th since we're already 8th. I know this isn't acceptable to some but with a possible new manager I'd sure as Hell take that as a transitional season and then improve in January & next Summer.

I'm going to bed now before anyone tells me to.

Take walcott out of the strike force

Tosun
Dcl
Sandro
Henry

West Broms strike force
Rondon
Jay Rodriguez
Daniel sturridge

Keane I have doubts will ever be the standard required,keep Baines for squad rotation and for the fact that Robinson is an unknown quantity.

We definitely need a new starting left winger in my opinion. I'd love to see Lookman given many opportunities next season but I think it should be in an understudy role. I'm not sure if Onyekuru is eligible to even play next season so I think we will need a back up striker too, I've got no idea if they'll retain Sandro but Kenwright said at those infernal awards last night that the players we bought in the summer will get a second chance.

I don't know why you would want to sell Baines. He shouldn't be a starter next season but if the left back we buy gets injured then that's too much responsibility personally for Robinson. Baines should definitely be retained as back up.

You've also left Rooney out altogether so I'm interested in your opinion if we should keep him or not.

left back, left footed centre back, box to box centre mid (someone other than davies who actually wants the ball turns and plays it forward) left winger. upgrade tosun if we can

squads already bloated dont need to add too much to it , wouldnt bother with a new keeper as stek and whoever is playing for u23's can replace joel

We definitely need a new starting left winger in my opinion. I'd love to see Lookman given many opportunities next season but I think it should be in an understudy role. I'm not sure if Onyekuru is eligible to even play next season so I think we will need a back up striker too, I've got no idea if they'll retain Sandro but Kenwright said at those infernal awards last night that the players we bought in the summer will get a second chance.

I don't know why you would want to sell Baines. He shouldn't be a starter next season but if the left back we buy gets injured then that's too much responsibility personally for Robinson. Baines should definitely be retained as back up.

You've also left Rooney out altogether so I'm interested in your opinion if we should keep him or not.

Well I said I’d sell Baines but I also said I know he’ll still be here. Can’t see him accepting playing second fiddle.

Rooney likewise, he’ll be here but I don’t want him on the pitch.

Going to go full Zat here but it's an extremely slow day in the office and I'm tired of seeing a thousand threads pop up re: Allardyce. The title poses the question I want to ask the forum - do we really need many changes to the squad next season? Now I know we've been turgid to watch this season but a lot of that has been down to the system and also the poor form & confidence of the squad. Personally I don't want to see many incomings this summer as I think we're unsettled enough, it's a World Cup year and I honestly don't think we're far off. I'll dissect my reasoning below with the ultimate goal of improving but not having to spend like we did last year:

GOALKEEPER (2)

Lowest priority out there so I don't mind heading into the new season with Joel (if he stays) or Stek. Out of the young lads only Hilton has looked half decent so he can be third. Lots of the academy keepers need binning like Gray, Hewelt etc. They will never make it here.

DEFENCE (9)

I'd like to see Holgate given a starting chance next to either RFM or a new starting left-sided CB. I mean sure two brand new starters would be good but again that's just even more fresh faces to get to know each others game. I mean it's 100% going to be Baines there next season but would love a new powerful, fast LB and I'd give Robinson a spot as second choice for cups/injuries.

MIDFIELD (8)

Tell the defensive mid to purely mop up, pass to a better player & cover both full-backs that will be asked to bomb on whenever possible. 2 centre mids playing around him with high energy but also high quality. I'd start Sig and a new face (Ozyakup?) there who have a bit of freedom in their positioning. Davies, Vlasic etc. to be their understudies. Whilst I would love to sign a world class attacking mid for the hole I do feel we're hitting a transitional period where we can afford to try see just what Dowell and Lookman can do.

Sell: Grant, Mirallas, Bolasie, Klaassen (just don't think he'll ever adapt his game), Schneiderlin (would keep if he can play good consistently), McCarthy is injured so he's no use to us here or sold yet but I'd consider keeping.

FORWARDS (5)

Would start Cenk and Walcott together - I know he's looked good out wide but he's more productive centrally to me and this saves us spending a bomb on 2-3 more wingers. DCL and Sandro (if we can't offload) to be their back-up and also Henry who can play wide as well as through the middle. Maybe our version of Jamie Vardy tactics?

Sell: Sorry Oumar but you're gone along with academy flops ike Henen, Sambou etc.

So a first team squad of 24 there with 4-5 new signings needed supplemented by a lot of outgoings if possible. I'd loan out people like Feeney, Gibson, Connolly, Evans, Hornby etc. Maybe see how Williams looks in pre-season but reckon we'll sell him myself. Don't see it as too difficult to do with this dodgy transfer window we have this year.
I think with how bad the PL is and how much worse it'll be with teams like Cardiff and Millwall possibly coming up we can easily finish 7th since we're already 8th. I know this isn't acceptable to some but with a possible new manager I'd sure as Hell take that as a transitional season and then improve in January & next Summer.

I feel like we should be intervening here, is everything ok mate?

In answer to your question - do we really need that much? To get back to being in a position to challenge the top 6 - no. To be near the top 4 - yes. I think we have a number of good players - Walcott, Coleman, Pickford and a few others who are at the level needed. But we are lacking in a few key areas.

I agree with most of your summary and think that Pickford, Coleman, Keane, Walcott, Gana, Sigurdsson, Lookman/Vlasic, Tosun should be given a proper run of games together next season. I know Keane has been hit and miss, and mainly a disappointment this season, but we paid a lot of money for him and I don't see us writing him off. Lookman and Vlasic are talented but obviously inexperienced, but I feel that these are the type of players we need to be giving a chance to as opposed to the likes of Bolasie and Mirallas who have been playing for years and have not achieved an acceptable level of consistency or output.

So in my opinion we need about 3 significant improvements in the Summer to progress us to a level that is better than the 16-17 season. It's frustrating that we have been set back a year by Koeman and Walsh's failures, but there have still been some improvements to the squad in the last year - Pickford, Sigurdsson, Vlasic, Walcott, Tosun etc as well as having Coleman return who is a key player for us.

I'd like to see a left back, centre back and creative centre midfielder brought in. Players like Baines and Mori (if not sold) will be good backup, and then the younger players like Davies, Baningime, Holgate and Calvert-Lewin can also be rotated so that they are given a steady run of minutes in the side. The likes of Williams and Mirallas need to go and Schneiderlin sold if someone comes in for him, and if not then given a final warning that if his levels drop again then he won't even make the squad. Think Klaassen and Sandro should move on as they're not suited to this league from what I have seen of them.

GOALKEEPER (2)

DEFENCE (9)

MIDFIELD (8)

FORWARDS (5)

New midfield player, left back, left attack, & forward are minimum requirements...

We still look weak in all departments but we must replace our loss of Lukaku as a main priority...

Midfield central too is a key position & needs addressing...

Central defender & left back...

Attacking left wing pacey forward who scores goals is also a must...

Status
Not open for further replies.