Do we need to spread the goals around more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Wayne

Player Valuation: £100m
Despite scoring a decent number of goals this season (44 in 28 league games), Lukaku has scored 40% of our goals, with Barkley the 2nd highest scorer with just 5.

I don't think it will harm us too much this year, but next season, is it better to give Rom more support? Where can we get extra goals from?

I've long wondered why Mirallas has never been tried up front, either alone or alongside Rom. Unlikely to ever happen now.

Barkley should be aiming to hit double figures next season if he continues his form since the start of the year. We need another midfielder to reach 8+ goals if we want to push on, I don't think he likes Mirallas for him to play enough games to do it.

In the general sense then yes we do, but at the same time is it a necessity? There is a few players who could have more goals but then in the grand scheme of things, would it just not equate to lukaku's tally plus their contribution? Unless goal sharing involves Lukaku passing the ball rather than shooting and scoring as much as he has been?

A little bit of a myth goal sharing i believe. Either you score more from different sources or you source the goals from one source mainly if the rest aren't good enough. There can't be a game plan where you tell other players to score over your main source of them plus Lukaku is paid to do just that, score.

In the general sense then yes we do, but at the same time is it a necessity? There is a few players who could have more goals but then in the grand scheme of things, would it just not equate to lukaku's tally plus their contribution? Unless goal sharing involves Lukaku passing the ball rather than shooting and scoring as much as he has been?

A little bit of a myth goal sharing i believe. Either you score more from different sources or you source the goals from one source mainly if the rest aren't good enough. There can't be a game plan where you tell other players to score over your main source of them plus Lukaku is paid to do just that, score.

I suppose to put it into perspective, we've scored 47 PL goals this season, compared to:
United - 39 goals
Arsenal - 55 goals
Liverpool - 60 goals
City - 53 goals
Tottenham - 53 goals
Chelsea - 57 goals

I agree Bruce leaving the scoring to Lukaku makes us a lopsided team. I expected Barkley to increase his goal tally this term but he and Mirrallas have stayed in much the same gear there. Hoping one of the young boys Lookman or Calvert Lewin can take the burden off Lukaku.

I agree Bruce leaving the scoring to Lukaku makes us a lopsided team. I expected Barkley to increase his goal tally this term but he and Mirrallas have stayed in much the same gear there. Hoping one of the young boys Lookman or Calvert Lewin can take the burden off Lukaku.

Obviously it's distorted a bit by the lack of real alternatives to Lukaku up front. Neither Kone or Niasse are much good, and that's hopefully an area we'll improve in the summer. It would be a real help if Barkley or Mirallas (or whoever players in those advanced positions) could get 10+ goals a season.

There's an Echo piece quoted favourably on here a few days ago that suggests that we dont need Lukaku and his goals. That we'd be in the CL spots if we didn't have him.

I know.

There's an Echo piece quoted favourably on here a few days ago that suggests that we dont need Lukaku and his goals. That we'd be in the CL spots if we didn't have him.

I know.
Was that the same piece that said the RS would be top without Mane. Bonkers "journalism"

I suppose to put it into perspective, we've scored 47 PL goals this season, compared to:
United - 39 goals
Arsenal - 55 goals
Liverpool - 60 goals
City - 53 goals
Tottenham - 53 goals
Chelsea - 57 goals
The perspective i guess we take from those tallies is how many of those teams who have scored more have arguably better players than us? Spurs have eriksen and Ali as well as son and kane, chelsea has the likes of hazard, Arsenal have a few different players who can score but few that win matches compared to their peers in the league, City have an attacking line up compared to us etc

I guess the point is being on the coat tails of the top 6 in goals scored as well as points earned is a fair reflection for where we should be right now. It would be more concerning for me personally if we were outscoring the top teams but then lagging behind them points wise. We do need to improve all over the pitch in some cases, either first choice or back up, so i would not concern myself over it so far as long as we have the room to improve.

We do need to spread around the goals more, but it won't be happening any time soon while trampoline shins is working his magic up front. Possesius Lossius!

The perspective i guess we take from those tallies is how many of those teams who have scored more have arguably better players than us? Spurs have eriksen and Ali as well as son and kane, chelsea has the likes of hazard, Arsenal have a few different players who can score but few that win matches compared to their peers in the league, City have an attacking line up compared to us etc

I guess the point is being on the coat tails of the top 6 in goals scored as well as points earned is a fair reflection for where we should be right now. It would be more concerning for me personally if we were outscoring the top teams but then lagging behind them points wise. We do need to improve all over the pitch in some cases, either first choice or back up, so i would not concern myself over it so far as long as we have the room to improve.

Oh for sure, I don't think we're bad this year at all (although I think both Ross and Mirallas have more goals in them), but replacing Kone and Valencia with more quality in the summer would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.