Do we need a new LB?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the question is, do we have a left back in the ranks, or are we pushing for one from outside.
Who? And Who? To each question.
Given that Galloway is loaned for the season and Garbutt and Robinson are off at the U23s training camp, I would think it is Connolly in the pre-season to prove that we do or don't need to buy cover.

Callum Connolly's time to shine in preseason now. England youth caps and turns 20 in September.

Ben Chilwell is 20 years old, plays for Leicester and is an England u21 left back
Ryan Sessegnon is 17 years old, plays for Fulham and is an England u19 left back

Seeing Connolly, he looks to be an all rounder but with no significant strengths. I think its been said in the youth thread before also.

Hopefully Connolly is able to at least be a good rotation option for us for this and in future seasons.

Callum Connolly's time to shine in preseason now. England youth caps and turns 20 in September.

Ben Chilwell is 20 years old, plays for Leicester and is an England u21 left back
Ryan Sessegnon is 17 years old, plays for Fulham and is an England u19 left back

Seeing Connolly, he looks to be an all rounder but with no significant strengths. I think its been said in the youth thread before also.

Hopefully Connolly is able to at least be a good rotation option for us for this and in future seasons.

He'd play in goal if you asked him too. Think he'll surprise a few this season; absolute beast in the air for his size.

Am I the only one who thinks we need a new first choice LB as Baines is no longer good enough for what we want to achieve? he's just about good enough defensively but offers a fraction going forward as he did in the Pienaar days which is understandable considering he's 33 this year.

Baines 4 years ago. 5 assists and 3 goals (Excluding pens)
Baines last year. 3 assists and 0 goals (Excluding pens)

Baines in his prime would have been just about good enough for what we now want to achieve, he no longer is IMO. Reluctant to push forward with the ball, stops and plays the easy pass inside too much. I think people need to lose the sentiment they have for these kind of long serving players, same with Jagielka. Never been UCL quality, just good players for us for the level we've been at. Now that they are past their prime and we are looking to improve we need replacements.

Am I the only one who thinks we need a new first choice LB as Baines is no longer good enough for what we want to achieve? he's just about good enough defensively but offers a fraction going forward as he did in the Pienaar days which is understandable considering he's 33 this year.

Baines 4 years ago. 5 assists and 3 goals (Excluding pens)
Baines last year. 3 assists and 0 goals (Excluding pens)

Baines in his prime would have been just about good enough for what we now want to achieve, he no longer is IMO. Reluctant to push forward with the ball, stops and plays the easy pass inside too much. I think people need to lose the sentiment they have for these kind of long serving players, same with Jagielka. Never been UCL quality, just good players for us for the level we've been at. Now that they are past their prime and we are looking to improve we need replacements.
I am in total agreement, Baines is reliable at best but there is no two ways about it he is on the downward slope.

I think we need to be planning for the future so we have someone ready as a replacement, but we don't need to replace him immediately IMO

He's good for another season at least

I'd be happy to see us sign Tierney and start easing him in throughout the season

Peak Baines had 5 goals and 11 assists. I can't wait to see this new left back that produces 6 goals and 12 assists for our new level we are gonna be at.

He's got the most assists of ANY defender since 92 and he's still playing.

Baines in his prime was the best left-back in Europe.

In fact, can't remember the year, but one season he created more chances than any other player in Europe I recall!

But I do agree we need a medium/long-term replacement, that Martins-Indi is not the answer. Awful player.

Agree we need a new younger LB but this statement seriously downplays Baines' ability at his peak. He and Pienaar were the only elements producing good football consistently in some pretty turgid Moyes teams. Baines in his prime would have been perfect

Baines was very good for our level at that time yes, and I love him, but if he was a true top 4 player, I think a top team would have tried harder to sign him. As we now aspire to be one of those top teams, I don't think Baines at his peak would be a standout player in a side we aspire to become.

He'd play in goal if you asked him too. Think he'll surprise a few this season; absolute beast in the air for his size.
He was definitely better than Tim Howard in goal, my main worry is that hell be better than our new Mr. Spectacular.

Baines was very good for our level at that time yes, and I love him, but if he was a true top 4 player, I think a top team would have tried harder to sign him. As we now aspire to be one of those top teams, I don't think Baines at his peak would be a standout player in a side we aspire to become.
I think they did try hard (Particularly United). The logic doesn't hold entirely true there either - See Shearer rejecting Fergie's Man United. Still a top player one of the best PL era strikers and holder of PL goal record that will more than likely not be bettered. Baines was way better than you think in Moyes teams that had a phobia of playing with pace or attacking with numbers his personal statistics were unbelievable!

Status
Not open for further replies.