Diving

Do we do it too much?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Player Valuation: £35m
We all love Anthony Gordon, but does anybody else get frustrated by his diving? He can shoot, cross and dribble past anyone, but instead of doing any of that he constantly tries sticking a leg out.

It's not only him of course, but the amount of times our players choose to go down in and around the box rather than keep the ball alive is so annoying to watch. We rarely get a touch in the opposition's area, so why not just keep playing and make a chance instead of, you know, cheating?

It was the right idea by Gordon to try and win a penalty. He just didn't make a good job of it and it looked too much like a dive. We need to be much more streetwise

Hate to see it. Contemptible cheating whoever does it. Calling it professional is the same as calling an electrician professional if he only installs half of what he's paid to do.

I'll go further- anyone who thinks cheating is ok in the game, or justifies it in any way, is also contemptible and doesn't understand the nature of sport. Instead they see it as a game extension of their fragile ego or self esteem.

This is where the experience of Lampard and Cole should be useful. The art of winning cheap free kicks and giving away fouls in non dangerous areas to break the game up. Arteta was brilliant at it, just turned when he received the ball to put his body between the ball and opponent, felt any kind of contact and went down, winning a free kick. Gordon needs to learn this.

Hate to see it. Contemptible cheating whoever does it. Calling it professional is the same as calling an electrician professional if he only installs half of what he's paid to do.

I'll go further- anyone who thinks cheating is ok in the game, or justifies it in any way, is also contemptible and doesn't understand the nature of sport. Instead they see it as a game extension of their fragile ego or self esteem.
I agree in theory. I'd agree more in reality if it weren't for the fact that every other sod is doing it, so to never do it ourselves would put us at a massive disadvantage.

I remember fans moaning that we were too nice to engage in the dark arts of the game in the past. Unfortunately for us, the refs seem to notice Gordon is diving most of the time but he does buy the odd cheap free kick and he'll win us a few penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.