Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Having read your summary there, it looks to me like they`re trying to cover their arses just in case you decide to take legal action against the firm.

The fact that the original manager has been moved and the new manager has apologised about the way you`ve been treated says to me that they have known what`s been going on and belatedly taken steps to remedy it.

The position they are offering you is a massive step down, however they dress it up and also zero hours means zero rights ( as I`m sure you`re well aware off )

Why should you be punished for the misdeeds of someone higher up than you, who by the sounds of it has been moved sideways and out of the way ?
I`m no expert mate and I`m sure @anjelikaferrett can give you sound advice, but if that was me I`d be taking legal advice before I did anything.

Sorry chief if I was misleading. The auditing role is a different job with a different company. They were in doing the stock take a couple of weeks back. I got chatting and they took my details. They offered me the job, but said it is policy that everybody has to start at the ground level and work their way up.
I would have to earn the low rate while I gain experience with them. They have said they want me at supervisor level but need to do the basic first.

Thing is, they might mean well and say they can guarantee me 40+ hours a week on a zero hours. But what if they can't?
It is a gamble and I am thinking about it.

Meanwhile back in Morrisons, one of the other night managers quit today. Got a new job.
Things might be changing for the better, but for some of us it's too late.

Update.

For those who don't know the history here then this might seem trivial but I can only refer you to earlier posts in this forum.

Some of you will recall the stress I was under working as a night manager in Morrisons and all the stuff that came with it.
This is an overview of everything that happened since.

End of July-ish, I was asked by another night manager to come in at short notice and change my days off as he was struggling badly.
Basically, nobody had worked the pet food and household pallets for 2 nights and it was building up and nobody spare to do it.
He said forget about everything else, could I smash my way through the pallets and get them cleared. So I went in at 7pm on a Sunday night and spent 12 hours clearing the back-log. I am already on my mental and physical arse from the year I have had.
Then at 7am the store manager arrives.

He starts berating me about all the work around the shop that hasn't been done.
I point out that it was not my shift and I am in to support and what I have done is what was requested.
He says that it is no excuse. I should be doing A.B.C for him first of all and then the support.
I said no, I didn't even need to come in at all.
He then said you know the process and ways of working and should follow them.
I said he is correct I do know the ways of working and that the decision was made to go the way we did.
Furthermore, if I was to do what he wanted also, I would need to be there about 16 hours.
He repeated "You know the process".

So I flipped.
Calm as you like I told him I know he wants me out. I told him I am not stupid and that I was aware that he and my line manger (his best mate) are trying to manage out anybody who isn't a sheep.
I told him we are both big boys, off the record admit you want me gone and that this bullying is part of your strategy to get rid of me (and a couple of others who get vocal about the free goodwill time they are expected to give)
He asked me if I was accusing him of a witch-hunt. I said that is his choice of word and only he knows if it is true or not.
I told him just sack me. I am not bothered anymore, that I couldn't continue working in that shop anymore with him holding a gun to my head.
This is happening all on the shop floor lads. Shop has been open for 15 minutes.
He said we need to go to the office, we can't have this conversation here.
I said no. I'm going home. Do what you like.
Then something happened.
He said please.

The chat that followed came to a mutual arrangement about working hours.
However, three more grievances landed during August and September and he got moved on by regional bosses.

So move forward to this week.

The new manager has apologies for the experience I have had over the last 12 months.
He has offered to send me to another store for 6 weeks training and give me a fresh start when I finish the training.
I never had any training by the way.
Thing is, I hate the place now. I still dread the thought of being in there. I still get the anxiety and the chest pains.
I told the new guy I will consider it.

Today I have been offered a new job in auditing. Thing is it is a zero hours contract. I would have to spend the first 4 months on £8.50 per hour until I could get a supervisor position.I would need to learn how to use the equipment and apps before any promotion. Which I get.

Should I stay or should I go?

I do think Morrisons 2020 could be a much better place to work than 2019 has been. But my goodwill has towards them has gone and I have no desire to progress or develop.The money is good, but you know what? This whole thing has never been about money for me.

I always say the most valuable thing we have in this life is time and how we choose to spend it.
The work/life balance is crucial for me. But I still have a mortgage to pay.

I guess right now today I feel as positive and content as I have done in a long time. I do feel the journey I have been on and the medication required could have all been avoided if people in power had acted differently.

You can work hard, you can work yourself into an early grave. It doesn't matter how hard you work if somebody above you just doesn't like you.
The thing is, they probably think they are doing a great job and the real problem is you.
And to rub salt into deep wounds, I keep watching Everton!
I can't make that decision for you - but I'm sure you know that. My experiences of zero hours contracts are that you have to be available for the employer 24/7 but there is no reciprocal agreement. You can't say I can't work next Tuesday. Have they given you any kind of minimum hours guarantee? I understand why you feel the way you do. Could you ask Morrisons to pay you off. They seem to be admitting they have treated you badly over the last year. You could say your trust in the employer has broken down completely and you don't think you can work for them any longer. They have forced you into this conclusion. It's worth a shot. Then you could do the auditor stuff with a bit of money behind you/

Last edited:
Made redundant a while back...thought it would be grand&it was..last two months im going out of my mind..cant tell anyone because of my position held...is it because ive lost control/direction of my life???Too much drink&back on the cigs(Everton never help lol!)Am I being a snowflake whinger or geuinely in a wrong place??Dont like to admit "I've a problem"
Nah mate, i i will tell you exactly what i have learnt in Group Therapy, humans are creatures of habit, and most enjoy an element of control, whether this is all or some. When you have this removed your brain tells you its a problem.

It's been said a lot how much exercise is helpful, but if you can try walking, running or a local gym etc? If not to get into shape, just to occupy your brain. Also volunteer roles are always a great way to occupy yourself, simply google volunteer roles and your hometown, and something will come up.

Nah mate, i i will tell you exactly what i have learnt in Group Therapy, humans are creatures of habit, and most enjoy an element of control, whether this is all or some. When you have this removed your brain tells you its a problem.

It's been said a lot how much exercise is helpful, but if you can try walking, running or a local gym etc? If not to get into shape, just to occupy your brain. Also volunteer roles are always a great way to occupy yourself, simply google volunteer roles and your hometown, and something will come up.

Great insight that.

Also the body is excellent at adapting relatively quickly to lifestyles and habits. Changes to that lifestyle, whether they be good changes or bad for the long term, throw the body out of equilibrium and thus brings stress on the body. It will also be a relatively short time period of pure crap while the body adapts to the new normal

Has anyone who is on anti-depressants suffered with excessive night sweats?

Since I was put on 100mg of sertraline I have been sweating buckets during the night. Like literally sweat pouring off me getting the bed sheets very wet. It's getting annoying washing the sheets so much.

I'm not hot during the night, just sweating like mad!

Since I was put on 100mg of sertraline I have been sweating buckets during the night. Like literally sweat pouring off me getting the bed clothes very wet. It's getting annoying washing the sheets so much.

It can be a common side effect mate, as are weird dreams, dry mouth when you wake up.

How long have you been on them, as it can go after a few weeks ?

Since I was put on 100mg of sertraline I have been sweating buckets during the night. Like literally sweat pouring off me getting the bed sheets very wet. It's getting annoying washing the sheets so much.

Yes I have experienced this quite regularly. Same thing, I'm not hot but my pillow is drenched. I started sleeping on a towel to help.

It seems to be worse following a particularly stressful day.

Which are so vivid it’s like you’re in them lol
Yeah, it's like you are living in some parallel world. No wonder you feel cream crackered when you wake. However, the side effects will settle once your body gets acclimatised and equilibrium kicks in. It's important not to miss taking your dosage though and regularly the same time each day. For me it's each morning as it seems to keep me on an even keel throughout the day but for others it may be better a short while before retiring at night.