Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Don’t know if I mentioned it on here but I applied a few months back to be a Mental Health First Aider through work and wasn’t successful.

Well anyway, roll onto this morning and I’ve just overheard a senior manager that did the course say “that course was depressing”.

Kinda presuming now he was only sent on the course because of his position as that was a completely ignorant statement.

Or to put on his CV.

What a waste,

Starting in October I am starting a Level 2 counselling concepts course, I've had my initiation letter and paid the fees. It will be 3 hour a week night classes after work for 10 weeks. After that you can move on to level 3 which is another 10 week course. After that it's level 4. Level 5 is a full-time thing where you go out into the world and deal with real people and try to help them with their real situations, real field experience.

It's truly what I want as my future career path, to be someone who helps others people to understand themselves and feel as mentally well as they can. It will be a long road to get to where I hope to get too but this is the first step. Hopefully one day I can be fully qualified and make a living for myself in the field as a professional.

For now it's about me gaining the qualifications and also going through certain life experiences that will further educate me. I'm still only 25 and there's still so much I haven't experienced yet, so much I don't know. I will need to have those crucial life experiences to be the best that I can be in the future. They'll be hard times ahead surely but I have my dream to chase and I'm willing to run through walls to catch it.

Well in mate, best of luck. As you say, you're only 25 so you've got so much time ahead of you to learn. I'm doing something similar (I've just applied for an online masters degree) and really wish I'd done it at 25 and not 39 lol

I've been quite depressed the last 2-3 years due to my work situation and general feeling isolated, and I've found getting ready for the masters has been a huge boost, just giving me a goal/dream to follow, a sense of purpose.

Thanks mate.

It's been eye opening to say the least. The amount of people who've been left to fend for themselves with no real means of support is quite staggering.

I think doing it is helping me on a personal level too. I felt like I was stuck in a bit of a rut, so adding something different and quite meaningful to my routine has helped with my own mental health.
A personal thank you from someone, me, who has spoken at length with the Samaritans.

Not off topic as it relates to a post I made months ago about a relative's financial struggles impacting my mother and causing massive anxiety. Sounds random, but is it possible for somebody to make a bet online (Ladbrokes specifically) and collect winnings at a local store? My younger brother, gambling addict, claims he won several grand online and went to the store to collect. He then says they could only give him 1 thousand of the 4 he claims to have won, and they are doing an internal investigation as to whether he can have the rest as they found out he has more than 1 account with them.

I smell massive amounts of BS, just need it confirming.

Not off topic as it relates to a post I made months ago about a relative's financial struggles impacting my mother and causing massive anxiety. Sounds random, but is it possible for somebody to make a bet online (Ladbrokes specifically) and collect winnings at a local store? My younger brother, gambling addict, claims he won several grand online and went to the store to collect. He then says they could only give him 1 thousand of the 4 he claims to have won, and they are doing an internal investigation as to whether he can have the rest as they found out he has more than 1 account with them.

You can collect online winnings in shop with cash yeah, just go in and give your username and password on a touchpad

Like @dwightschrute said above you can do it.

Don’t know if I mentioned it on here but I applied a few months back to be a Mental Health First Aider through work and wasn’t successful.

Well anyway, roll onto this morning and I’ve just overheard a senior manager that did the course say “that course was depressing”.

Kinda presuming now he was only sent on the course because of his position as that was a completely ignorant statement.
I've just done a 2 day mental health first aid course over 2 days run by the TUC and Mental Health England. It was without doubt one of the best things I've ever done. I got so much out of it. It dealt with serious relevant issues. It was hard but not depressing. Keep trying to get on it if it comes up again.

I've just done a 2 day mental health first aid course over 2 days run by the TUC and Mental Health England. It was without doubt one of the best things I've ever done. I got so much out of it. It dealt with serious relevant issues. It was hard but not depressing. Keep trying to get on it if it comes up again.

Well my plan was to keep applying every time it became available however I learned recently that out of a list of say 30 applicants they only had room for 10 MHFA's but the worst part? It wasn't 10 selected at randomly they were scrutinised and specifically chosen by other team members. I figured if you've only got 10 official spots what's the harm in sending everyone interested on the course? I didn't want to be a mental health first aider just for people at work.

Not posted for a long time on this thread. To be honest, I felt I had beaten my demons and, after initially feeling like I wanted to help anyone with anxiety issues too, I've found myself shying away from reading on here. 6 months off citalopram and 6 months before that of a very low dose. Well, last 4-6 weeks the anxiety/anger outbursts are back with a vengeance!! A combo of work/kid being a nightmare/world events are constantly circling round my head.... irrational, unwanted thoughts pop in my mind at random. Lots of the same old stuff. Stupidly I thought 'that's me cured ' after coming off meds. Now I'm thinking that anxiety is just something I'll have to live with and it will come and go. Dont want to be back on meds but if it gets worse i will do. Anyone had similar after a while off meds? Did going back on.them.help? Thanks chaps, I'd forgotten what a cathartic release.it was.to.post on here!!

Not posted for a long time on this thread. To be honest, I felt I had beaten my demons and, after initially feeling like I wanted to help anyone with anxiety issues too, I've found myself shying away from reading on here. 6 months off citalopram and 6 months before that of a very low dose. Well, last 4-6 weeks the anxiety/anger outbursts are back with a vengeance!! A combo of work/kid being a nightmare/world events are constantly circling round my head.... irrational, unwanted thoughts pop in my mind at random. Lots of the same old stuff. Stupidly I thought 'that's me cured ' after coming off meds. Now I'm thinking that anxiety is just something I'll have to live with and it will come and go. Dont want to be back on meds but if it gets worse i will do. Anyone had similar after a while off meds? Did going back on.them.help? Thanks chaps, I'd forgotten what a cathartic release.it was.to.post on here!!

Anxiety is the poor relation of anxiety mate, as it’s so hard to treat.

I’ve suffered for years and there’s no right or wrong way to treat it, it’s what works best for you.

If the meds worked for you go back to your GP pronto.

I manage mine now with exercise, minimal ale intake and by completely cutting out caffeine.

It’s a horrible thing mate and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Last edited:

Made the mistake of coming off my meds twice in the last 7 years. Both times I took major dips. After going back on the meds it stabilised me after a few months. I've learned my lesson this time around and will be sticking with the meds for the forseeable future.

Alright lads, hope everyone is well.

Long time since I been on this site since getting myself better.

I’m currently taking Elvanse 50 mg a day for my ADHD and have realised I must stop Booze altogether now.

Life hasn’t been fair to me at all the past 6 months, and I seemed to have had bad luck after bad luck, and got myself into a massive spiral to depression.

I also suffer with Anxiety and have been on Propranolol to take when I get attacks, but I honestly think avoiding Alcohol and exercising regularly is the key for me.

I’ve been offered Mirtazipine (taken Prozac in the past and did nothing) to help with Depression and Sleep, but I’d rather do it without and have started to take Fish Oil, Zinc, Vitamin D3, Lysine and Arginine which I’ve read up are very useful in helping with depression and stabilising mood, and I’m so glad I have because I have been far better ever since. So I hugely recommend these for everyone to try.

I did also go to see the Crisis Team and have now referred me to iCope (if anyone has used them and can say if any good) for Talking Therapy.

When I did go 2 months without Alcohol I felt the best I had in my life, and was wondering if anyone else who suffers from similar is the same.

I’ve unfortunately pushed a lot of good people away, and ruined many good friendships and chances because of my struggles, but now for once in my life feel like I’m starting to become the person I should be.

Interested if there’s any other ADHD’ers on here also, and how everyone else copes.

Hello mate. Cant offer advice re the ADHD but saw your part re pushing good friends away. Do these friends know exactly what you have been struggling with? Maybe, if it's an option to explain to them how things have been and how u are trying your best to help yourself, u could rebuild these relationships? Having people around u who understand is a big bonus. Good luck fella