Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Postgraduate depression is a real thing and should be spoken about more tbh.

I suffered from it big time. Ended up on the dole for a year with no real motivation to do anything once I finished uni.

Think I quickly got disillusioned with my course as after three years of studying, for me to get anywhere in the industry I needed to do unpaid internships and stuff like that.

I didn't have the heart for it anymore and decided after a year unemployed I'd take the first full time job I could get and move my way up that ladder. I just got sick of being poor and wanted a decent wage to live a life outside of work and studying.

Nothing wrong in taking a job outside of your degree to tide you over until something comes up. All depends on your degree and circumstances though.

Thanks for sharing your experiences lads. Gives me some piece of mind that I'm not in an uncommon situation for a graduate.

I anticipated getting rejections but wasn't prepared for the amount of rejections at the first hurdle. I have one application which has at least got to the assessment center stage but its been 3 months since I was updated about it and recent attempts to contact them ended up with "Sorry we don't have a date for it yet". I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, but its the only basket available to me right now without moving away from my family which I really would rather not do.

I graduated almost 20 years ago, just happened to end up in the line of business that I did. Never enjoyed the work but the good money, mortgages etc kept me in the business. Switched jobs like-for-like, grew increasingly frustrated at each place. Depression, anxiety and until recently feel in the mornings I will either get a heart attack or just throw up. On Sunday I decided enough is enough and will try to get into Uni for a new degree. 43years old, finally (I think) know what I want and feeling giddy with excitement. Salary will plummet but I no longer care, just too tired to feel like [Poor language removed] any longer....

I graduated almost 20 years ago, just happened to end up in the line of business that I did. Never enjoyed the work but the good money, mortgages etc kept me in the business. Switched jobs like-for-like, grew increasingly frustrated at each place. Depression, anxiety and until recently feel in the mornings I will either get a heart attack or just throw up. On Sunday I decided enough is enough and will try to get into Uni for a new degree. 43years old, finally (I think) know what I want and feeling giddy with excitement. Salary will plummet but I no longer care, just too tired to feel like [Poor language removed] any longer....

Well done mate! Balls of steel but it needs to be done. What course are you going for?

This is exactly my situation apart from deciding what to do about it.

Well done, mate. I hope I can take some courage from your story.

Well in mate, good luck with it.

I like to think that I'm quite strong these days but in reality I think I'm fragile. I still seem to be sensitive to other people's opinions and comments. Logically I know this sort of stuff is unimportant and it doesn't matter what other people say or think but I can't seem to put it into practice.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who is good at ignoring negativity from other people and not caring about what they think.

Well done mate! Balls of steel but it needs to be done. What course are you going for?
Pedagogy, I feel class teacher (7-12y) interests me the most but I can finetune along the way.
Very soft anyway compared to the private sector where margins must always increase no matter how well you do...
No idea how difficult it will be to get a spot in uni as Im OLD, at least compared to the young ones...

I like to think that I'm quite strong these days but in reality I think I'm fragile. I still seem to be sensitive to other people's opinions and comments. Logically I know this sort of stuff is unimportant and it doesn't matter what other people say or think but I can't seem to put it into practice.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who is good at ignoring negativity from other people and not caring about what they think.
You can only build confidence with time I think. Silent, real confidence, not the pompous [Poor language removed] social media is full of these days. Right attitude, a little bit of luck and time is the recipe I think. Good luck bro!

You can only build confidence with time I think. Silent, real confidence, not the pompous [Poor language removed] social media is full of these days. Right attitude, a little bit of luck and time is the recipe I think. Good luck bro!

Thanks mate.

That's a good way of looking at it. I feel like I've come along way in the last 3 years and overcome anxieties that I never thought I would. I guess life is a constant learning curve.

Having a major anxiety breakout this week (often sparked by world events- coronavirus has kicked me off even though my doctor mate has just said it's no worse than flu and is being hyped to the max....it was the election of trump last time....). Anyway, I've got the gp on Monday after asking online whether I can up meds (20mh citalopram to 40mg). Loss of appetite and broken sleep has led me to make appointment (am.lucky through work I can get CBT also which I will do for 3rd time in as many years!!)
Same doctor friend of mine (suffers depression) says to ask re mirtazipine for anxiety and will help sleep....anyone experienced that? Anxiety is pretty much the sole issue, touch of depression at most.

Yes mate. Loads of us have. It’s really not uncommon.

Alcohol will definitely make these kind of thoughts worse.

Tell us more about what’s going on or PM me if you like.

It’ll help to get things off your chest, even to strangers.

I made that post when I was drunk and, even on a forum where no one knows who tf I am, I felt so embarrassed about it I logged out until now (when I'm drunk again btw).

I get bad anxiety, have low self esteem and constantly question what people think of me. I'm 27, got a good job and get on with so many people yet still fkn hate myself lol. So I drink.

Not really sure what to do.

I have my wedding coming up six weeks today, I am also moving into a new house this summer. Despite that I am a bag of nerves and an anxiety that I've never known before has engulfed me. Ive been off work 3 weeks so far and I can't function. I can't get out of bed some days and the thought of being that centre of attention on my wedding day has taken over. Most people reading this will see this as totally irrational but has eaten away at me where I really can't function. Family and fiamcee- I don't feel I can talk. Happiest day of my life they say and I am riddled with anxiety.

I have my wedding coming up six weeks today, I am also moving into a new house this summer. Despite that I am a bag of nerves and an anxiety that I've never known before has engulfed me. Ive been off work 3 weeks so far and I can't function. I can't get out of bed some days and the thought of being that centre of attention on my wedding day has taken over. Most people reading this will see this as totally irrational but has eaten away at me where I really can't function. Family and fiamcee- I don't feel I can talk. Happiest day of my life they say and I am riddled with anxiety.
Anxiety doesn't run on rational. Talk to your fiancee hombre. She probably isn't marrying you just for the ceremony and will listen