Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

How did your work go mate?
I was going to write something, but you've probably heard it all before.
Often when we fear the worse it never turns out that way.
And when you least expect it ....

It's gone quite alright to be honest, things are up the wall but I think they do realise just how hard I've been grafting recently and some things just cant be helped our end, others have let us down. Thanks. :)

Just finished the extremely complex 360 question personality and apitiude tests for this career coaching lark and the result came back... I'm not supposed to work in an office and I should be a writer instead.

Marvellous that. Thanks a lot. Now what the hell to do with the information that the career I am most suited to is one I've already failed at. Twice.

Second place was Musician (if anyone knows anywhere advertising for "rock star" do hook me up.)

Third, Historian. Another field with plenty of vacancies.

I should also point out this is against the backdrop of a nasty, petty government who have just sliced cultural funding by 60%. Guess I better think of a way to surivive being miserable at work for the next few decades.
A friend of mine did one of these.... they suggested he go into military command. He was in the third year at a seminary at the time.

A friend of mine did one of these.... they suggested he go into military command. He was in the third year at a seminary at the time.

A holy warrior? Always a good combination.

The annoying thing about this is that it told me what I already know. That the stuff I'm good at and enjoy are fields that are dying and were unpredictable in their uptake of people at the best of times. Outside of that, I'm all out of ideas.

A holy warrior? Always a good combination.

The annoying thing about this is that it told me what I already know. That the stuff I'm good at and enjoy are fields that are dying and were unpredictable in their uptake of people at the best of times. Outside of that, I'm all out of ideas.
He then discovered women and ended up teaching RE.

Kind of a holy warrior I guess.

Slightly facetiously my advice is always to learn to do something women find nice; hair nails etc. They will always hand over good money for that, even if they were starving. Doesn't have to be entertaining if it pays the mortgage.

It has been a year of pain mate. I never suffered mental illness until I joined Morrisons. It was 60 hour weeks, every week on a 40 hour contract. They made you feel like shoite if you suggested going home before they wanted you to. Mind games. Make you think your job is on the line without saying those words.
It was good money, but no life. Exhausted both physically and mentally.

I have managed to save a couple of grand and will use the money to cushion the shortfall whilst I work my way up again.

The choice I have made might lead to financial difficulties going forward, but I needed to get away from where I was.
Buy myself some time. Get my head straight and perhaps look for other work if Asda can not give me security long term. But at least they will look after me for the meanwhile.
I am genuinely pleased for you. Things have a way of working out sometimes. I'm sure you will be the most efficient seasonal employee Asda have ever had because you're experienced. And if your old boss is batting for you then that's a positive. You didn't get sacked from Morrisons, you've left on your terms and you are going straight to a new job. Good for you. Have you got any outstanding leave you could take to bring your leaving date forward?

Onward and upwards! x

I am genuinely pleased for you. Things have a way of working out sometimes. I'm sure you will be the most efficient seasonal employee Asda have ever had because you're experienced. And if your old boss is batting for you then that's a positive. You didn't get sacked from Morrisons, you've left on your terms and you are going straight to a new job. Good for you. Have you got any outstanding leave you could take to bring your leaving date forward?

Onward and upwards! x

As it happens, the second week of my two weeks notice is holiday! But they probably have forgotten!

Just to echo @cronullasharks mate, anxiety can worsen existing conditions and even mimic conditions that don't even exist. Can you get some reassurance from your doctor? Have you tried occupying your mind with things you enjoy doing so you're not focused on the health problem?

I haven't. That's what I need to do.
Moneys tight, young kid so limited oops to get out with the wife a lot.

The worst is the build up to bed. From about 8pm I am fretting about not sleeping and then boom, as soon as I get in bed the thoughts come, the symptoms come.

Wow.
I went back for the first of my final few shifts last night.
During the 3 weeks I was away training in Warrington a day team manager was sacked for 'leaving a door open'. One night colleague had a heart attack after dragging pallets onto the shop, one night colleague went AWOL, one night colleague apparently had a melt down and is now on evenings, and Jonny my fellow night team manager announced he is stepping down after receiving my text that I was giving my notice!

Any other business might start thinking there is a problem!

Also funny, they thought I was going to work longer than my contracted hours! I left at 6am.

Wow.
During the 3 weeks I was away training in Warrington a day team manager was sacked for 'leaving a door open'. One night colleague had a heart attack after dragging pallets onto the shop, one night colleague went AWOL, one night colleague apparently had a melt down and is now on evenings, and Jonny my fellow night team manager announced he is stepping down after receiving my text that I was giving my notice!

Also funny, they thought I was going to work longer than my contracted hours! I left at 6am.

If you ever were having doubts about leaving mate, I’d say what you’ve just described there 100% confirms you’re right in leaving, even if it means tightening your belt.

What you’ve posted there would make for a wonderful undercover documentary !!!

I haven't. That's what I need to do.
Moneys tight, young kid so limited oops to get out with the wife a lot.

The worst is the build up to bed. From about 8pm I am fretting about not sleeping and then boom, as soon as I get in bed the thoughts come, the symptoms come.

When I was bad with anxiety, you’ve just perfectly described my nightly bed time routine.

You get that anxious about not sleeping that it becomes self fulfilling.

Some things that helped me, where nothing with caffeine in it after mid afternoon- inc tea. No ale, as it gets you to sleep, then you wake up a couple of hours later feeling even worse.

Sleep proof your room - thick curtains / blinds. Get rid of all your electronic stuff ( they reckon they interfere with sleep patterns )

The biggest thing that made a difference for me was a quality sleep mask, as once you got to sleep, you stayed asleep. Apparently the darkness of the sleep mask tricks your brain into thinking it’s the middle of the night and helps keep you asleep.

I’ve been using one for years now and can’t sleep without it !!!!

* failing that councelling will deffo help too.

Wow.

I worked part time at Morrisons several years ago. It was around the time they took over Safeway and the store I worked was a Safeway store when I started.

When it was Safeway it was a nice place to work. All the staff were happy and everyone knew their jobs. Within a week of it switching to Morrisons morale had gone through the floor. I remember one day there was a manager storming round the store threatening to sack people on the spot if the aisle they were covering wasn't neat enough. Another day the warehouse was being reorganised and the same manager tried to prevent staff from leaving work until it was done. It became a toxic environment and a lot of good people left.

I worked part time at Morrisons several years ago. It was around the time they took over Safeway and the store I worked was a Safeway store when I started.

When it was Safeway it was a nice place to work. All the staff were happy and everyone knew their jobs. Within a week of it switching to Morrisons morale had gone through the floor. I remember one day there was a manager storming round the store threatening to sack people on the spot if the aisle they were covering wasn't neat enough. Another day the warehouse was being reorganised and the same manager tried to prevent staff from leaving work until it was done. It became a toxic environment and a lot of good people left.

I hear the same from some of the long serving guys in there.
Also, an old neighbour of mine used to be a store manager at Safeway.
She said that when Morrisons took over, the culture changed over night and so she left.
Seems to be a continuing theme.

Wow.

I remember handing in my notice at a company once who told me they were going to make me work every day of contractual 3 months notice. No problem, I said. Then they wondered why I was showing up and doing literally nothing.