Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Hi mate, there’s a sound lad on here who is gay and had similar issues when growing up @EvertonRhys

He hasn’t posted for a while, but hopefully if he sees this he can offer some advice.

Failing that there’s a lot of support groups both online and in the real world.

He’s an amazing kid to come out at such an early age and it must have taken real guts.

There’s a lot of forums out there where you can talk to parents of kids who are in a similar situation to yourself.
At the moment I am terrified he is going to harm himself to

Mate my mother in law ignored me for 14 years. It was her way or nothing. She was horrible and controlling. I'm getting divorced now so I can wash my hands of her as well as my ex wife.

If you don’t mind me asking mate what was it about your ex wife’s approach to the matter that caused the split?

It is tough mate. My ex wife always felt like she was stuck in the middle which I do understand too.

True, but surely if they truly love you, you will always come first even if it is at the expense of family?

Anyway mate I hope things work out for you, everything is a lesson we can learn from.

Evening blues,

Thought I'd drop a quick update on my son a month on from this post. He's started his medication (low dose) and we've seen such a big improvement. From not leaving the house for nearly two months to going out for family meals, a family party, playing badminton etc etc. He's really improved and it's been really positive. We've still got a long way to go as he wants to change schools for a fresh start and we've been rejected so we now have to go through the appeals process. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but it does feel like there's a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for all the support, I had some nice messages and two private messages from people having similar experiences. It really helps to know we aren't alone.

If you're going through a tough time then I encourage you to reach out and talk to someone. I've found most people to be really supportive.

Update, 6 weeks on. He's been doing really well on the medication and he continues to improve. He's now desperate to transfer schools and start a fresh. He hasn't gone back to school yet as he won't go back to his old school. Our appeal date was next Wednesday and that was going to be a massive day for us as a family. However, we got a phone call on Thursday to say he now has a place at the new school. He's really happy and wants to move on now. We are still waiting for a date and I fear any issues he might have may cause a setback but I'm just hoping he can start school, settle in and get on with his life. This has weighed on the whole family for the last three years now and we just want to be happy again.

Thanks again to all who've offered advice and support.

Trying to look after myself a little bit more, i'm so tired of beating myself up and destroying what little self esteem i have. Invested a few things i've always wanted to buy/do and i hope it pays off. I never buy or spend anything on myself, and have always given it away or spent it on others.

No more.

I get that mate. It can be difficult to do things for yourself. Good on you for putting yourself first.