Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Sorry to hear about your cat . When the time is right get another pet you aren’t replacing him , you are giving another harmless animal a home and happy life .

Take it easy .
That's how I see it, every pet is different. No cat will replace Dougie, but I miss having one around the house and it was nice to have a pet to come home to. My brother works for the Home Office and his job is stressful as hell, and I know having cats to come home to makes him happy (and when he gets back from yet another Everton defeat).

I definitely want a rescue AND an adult at that, can't be arsed with pet shops. I'm used to adult cats, as I said - the first cat I ever knew was Sam, my gran's old black cat - and kittens are cute but they get into EVERYTHING, not to mention the toilet training. There's a cat sanctuary that a few mates recommend, so I'll be visiting there at some point to meet the cats and see if there's one I like. I'm not arsed if it's disabled/special needs either. I am myself! And Dougie had a few health problems, plus he was deaf.

That's how I see it, every pet is different. No cat will replace Dougie, but I miss having one around the house and it was nice to have a pet to come home to. My brother works for the Home Office and his job is stressful as hell, and I know having cats to come home to makes him happy (and when he gets back from yet another Everton defeat).

I definitely want a rescue AND an adult at that, can't be arsed with pet shops. I'm used to adult cats, as I said - the first cat I ever knew was Sam, my gran's old black cat - and kittens are cute but they get into EVERYTHING, not to mention the toilet training. There's a cat sanctuary that a few mates recommend, so I'll be visiting there at some point to meet the cats and see if there's one I like. I'm not arsed if it's disabled/special needs either. I am myself! And Dougie had a few health problems, plus he was deaf.
Luckily my dog is only 3 . But whenever the time comes I’d definitely go to a animal rescue instead of buying one .

Cheers, I worry about things that don't matter/exist instead or focussing on good things. Have you tried mindfulness?

From experience over worrying can be all part and parcel of depression / anxiety as they all link together.

Your brain only sees negatives, rather than positives.

I’ll guarantee that most people that post on here have suffered with it in some form of other.

That’s where the councillor and CBT will help, as she / he is trying to help you “ reset “ the way you think and let positivity back in.

Plus you’ll get taught coping mechanisms too.

I also found and still do that aerobic exercise gives you a real lift afterwards and can help shift the mad repetitive thoughts.

I’ve tried mindfulness, but I just can’t do it, but there’s many in here swear by it.

From experience over worrying can be all part and parcel of depression / anxiety as they all link together.

Your brain only sees negatives, rather than positives.

I’ll guarantee that most people that post on here have suffered with it in some form of other.

That’s where the councillor and CBT will help, as she / he is trying to help you “ reset “ the way you think and let positivity back in.

Plus you’ll get taught coping mechanisms too.

I also found and still do that aerobic exercise gives you a real lift afterwards and can help shift the mad repetitive thoughts.

I’ve tried mindfulness, but I just can’t do it, but there’s many in here swear by it.
Yeah I've started going back swimming and the gym it helps for sure. It's definitely linked to depression in my case. Sometimes I just feel empty and nothing sometimes too, its mad because my work and private life are good yet I look for problems and worry about crap that isn't a problem. It's like my mind won't let me be happy. The counsellor said I should write down the negative thoughts and challenge them.

Yeah I've started going back swimming and the gym. It's definitely linked to depression in my case. Sometimes I just feel empty and nothing sometimes too, its mad because my work and private life are good yet I look for problems and worry about crap that isn't a problem. It's like my mind won't let me be happy.

“ Empty “ being the key word.

You can have all the money in the world and still suffer from depression.

Look at all the rich and famous, who from the outside have everything, but in private are living in torment.

Start my new temporary job tomorrow! Very nervous and know already I'm gonna struggle to sleep! I know there is no real dress code but have decided to dress smart which worries me as people might think I'm being pretentious. I got made redundant last year and a lot of my former colleagues are already working there so thats good but I didn't get on with them all. I also have family and friends who have worked there years. Everyone says it is far better than where I used to work but honestly I'm hyper which worries me that ai won't get enough sleep then be tired on my first day and not make a good impression. Its thru agency and I have 5 weeks to impress and try to get a longer contract so the first few days could be critical!

Start my new temporary job tomorrow! Very nervous and know already I'm gonna struggle to sleep! I know there is no real dress code but have decided to dress smart which worries me as people might think I'm being pretentious. I got made redundant last year and a lot of my former colleagues are already working there so thats good but I didn't get on with them all. I also have family and friends who have worked there years. Everyone says it is far better than where I used to work but honestly I'm hyper which worries me that ai won't get enough sleep then be tired on my first day and not make a good impression. Its thru agency and I have 5 weeks to impress and try to get a longer contract so the first few days could be critical!
Don’t overthink things . Good luck mate

Good luck in your new job today! As has already been said: try to focus your thoughts and not let them run away and take you to places you don’t want to go!

Let’s re-write what you’ve written:

- I got made redundant last year but I’ve managed to secure this great job opportunity

- I’ve been given time in this job to impress so no single thing is going to take away this opportunity, like how I dress on the first day for example

- there are people in the workplace I know; I’ll pick up pointers from them on what the bosses like and don’t like - I don’t have to get on with all the people there to learn things that will help me

- No one at work judges someone by the clothes they wear at work as long as it’s nothing outlandish! But nevertheless I’m going to dress in something that makes me feel comfortable and makes me feel that it shows the bosses I want to be here and I mean business!

- I know me and I know I might have to use one my coping techniques to make sure I’m rested the night before work and come into work fresh and energised

Hope I don’t come across as patronising that’s honestly not my intention! I just hope you might see that reframing your thoughts like this hopefully reduces your anxiety (and it’s natural to be anxious first day of a new job!)

Poor Dougie .It's awful when a pet dies, you get so attached to them. They really are part of the family. I'm sure the cat sanctuary would be delighted if you can rehome a rescue cat - especially an adult. Most people like kittens.

Our cat Tia, turned up on our doorstep one day. She was chipped, we gave her back to her owners- who lived about 5 miles away. The next day she came back to ours, we gave her back again. Repeated this another two times and then came to an agreement that we would keep her as she clearly wanted to stay with us. She wasn't ill-treated or anything, she just liked us better. That was six years ago!

Stop overthinking it. What you are experiencing are first day nerves and entirely natural. If you overdress so what - you can see what other folk wear and plan your work clothes once you've started. And it's far better to be overdressed than underdressed. Hope it goes well.

Poor Dougie .It's awful when a pet dies, you get so attached to them. They really are part of the family. I'm sure the cat sanctuary would be delighted if you can rehome a rescue cat - especially an adult. Most people like kittens.

Our cat Tia, turned up on our doorstep one day. She was chipped, we gave her back to her owners- who lived about 5 miles away. The next day she came back to ours, we gave her back again. Repeated this another two times and then came to an agreement that we would keep her as she clearly wanted to stay with us. She wasn't ill-treated or anything, she just liked us better. That was six years ago!

They were probably Newcastle fans and she`d had enough of the constant barrage of " Toon Army " chants lol