Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Spend some of my best moments on this forum and this thread is a perfect example of why it's the best.

Sorry for going off topic.

Obviously a lot of well informed people on this forum. I would not hesitate to reach out to people on here if I was having problems again.

I had(/have) severe depression on my end. Tried it. If not for hte people in my life that loved me i would not be here today. Took pills for awhile and it just numbed me but it was finding something in life that made me realize its not all bad. For me, it was travelling. Helped curb a lot of my lows.

The best way i can describe it is isolation. You are on a **** island by yourself and nobody else can help you. Every day i curse the traffic or the weather i remember that i'm just happy to be here.

Would like to think, if anyone on here had a problem, they could speak to just about anyone on here. Alright, it's not a professional mental health care worker, but sometimes just voicing your concerns, in person or even online, can make the world of difference.

is right jock

I had(/have) severe depression on my end. Tried it. If not for hte people in my life that loved me i would not be here today. Took pills for awhile and it just numbed me but it was finding something in life that made me realize its not all bad. For me, it was travelling. Helped curb a lot of my lows.

The best way i can describe it is isolation. You are on a **** island by yourself and nobody else can help you. Every day i curse the traffic or the weather i remember that i'm just happy to be here.

I find great happiness in seeing people describe it, cos its almost a taboo. A awful cliche I know. The only way I can describe it is for me? Like being under a thick duvet and at times it does get lifted and a bit of light gets in and you feel great, but after a while.. I have learnt to live with it and I suppose this is almost therapeutic.

Some lids on this board have been very kind in the recent past and helped me, once again, a massive thankyou to them, this is a wonderful place and full of some truly good people. If they offer their help, take them up on it, I know they set me on the right path.

Trouble with depression is that you may not feel sad the symptons show in many different ways. Sleeplessness, irrational anger, loss of appetite and loss of sex drive in addition to what you'd expect, sadness and feelings of wanting to end it all. So not only do you need to seek help you also need to listen to the loved ones around you.

I am currently suffering and take regular medication so likewise let me know by PM if you need to talk.

This. All day this.

Suicide is an odd thing – it freights everything with new meaning. Every conversation and interaction becomes, to those left, a kind of impossible jigsaw you fail to complete for the rest of your life. And you feel profoundly inadequate – no matter how much you might ‘ve cared for this person they killed themselves anyway.

And this is why notions like ‘think of your family’ are corrosive. The OP has really noble intentions, but the reality of ‘thinking of your family’ is a logical dead end – you want to die, but let the guilt of what you’d leave behind stop you. Live in agony for the sake of others.

My mum was a good mother, who loved her family passionately. Before she killed herself she burned her face from every family photograph in her house. As the ‘left behind,’ I’ll carry with me the reality of that: the laborious gathering of every photo from all corners of the house; the burning, maybe with a match or a lighter, impossible to say.

Think of the energy it might take to root out every photograph you own and erase your own face from it (it's not an uncommon act in suicides). Now think of loving your family. Now think of the desire to die being more powerful than the love you have for them.

Certainly do seek conversation when you feel your desire to be alive is fading, but never assume the lack of a desire to live should be repressed by guilt.

never assume the lack of a desire to live should be repressed by guilt.

Not sure if the OP meant it in that way but, I respect your point of view. I'm not sure if you can separate the two sides of the issue that easily though but, I'm wary of voicing too much opinion lest my unprofessional ramblings be misinterpreted.

As someone who has been through a tough period of severe depression and still struggling with anxiety there is hope.

It's so difficult for someone, especially younger people to come out first time and be honest about how they feel, getting the help for it and being open enough to come out with your problems are the toughest parts of finding some balance back in your life.

I think for a lot of people who haven't struggled with it feel like they can't understand what all the fuss is about.
That is a big problem, even in this day and age, mental illnesses cripple the mind so badly that you want to just give up.

For myself, being pro-active, going to the gym and getting a job after leaving school made me feel like I was worth something again, it almost felt like an overnight process, maybe I was just lucky.
But for those on here who cannot imagine a normal day, do talk, try and get out if you're stuck in the house all day.
If you're still at school, talk to your teacher, head or whoever has some authority that might help you, not all boys and girls at that age are very understanding, trust me, I would know.

But don't ever give up, you will beat it eventually, even if it's not tomorrow.

Last edited:
Credit to the mods for not chucking this in the ale house.
Am a clergyman myself and have helped quite a few overcome their depression. It's ridiculous that in the 21st century there still is a stigma attached to issues like these. Seeking professional help is necessary.

I have suffered in my past, for years and years, and I continued to until I found myself outside help.
I was bursting inside, but stifled it and felt ashamed and unentitled to the feelings i was experiencing.
I found myself a brilliant shrink, found myself engaging properly with a select group of close friends, and I have been free from the anxiety for a long time now.

This really is just such a brilliant forum. Good on GOT, good on the EFC fan community. Thanks.

Can somebody recommend a counsellor or psychiatrist in the Liverpool area? Please PM

If anybody has time to give me some online counselling, please PM.

Thanks