Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Fantastic thread this Groucho... Well played.... Some cracking posts in here too ......without trying to put a downer on things though lads could I be so bold as to offer a cautionary word ?.. Please lads, if any of you do receive a pm off anybody who is struggling please please please be wary of any advice you pass on...... I don't mean this in a horrible way as I'm sure nobody would deliberately say anything to make matters worse but sometimes when somebody is in a bad place what you say to them is very important.... It has to be so that it can't be construed in any other way than how you intend it to be taken.... In other words..... Sometimes we can, without meaning too, make things worse when we are trying to help. I'm sure that wouldn't happen on here as this place is full of great people..... But when somebody is in a dark place they tend to always search for th negatives n anythng. To anybody who is struggling.... I urge you to seek professional help..... If you don't feel you can or don't know how to pm me if you like and hopefully I can point you in h right direction to getting the help you need. Stay safe lids and lidesses.

Just read that back..... Sorry, don't mean to discourage anybody to speak out...... I would urge anybody who feels they need to talk to always reach out..... Talking is the first step.

Last edited:
If anyone is afraid or ashamed of seeking help through a doctor then don't be. You can expect the following

1. They will first ask you to go to some therapy sessions, can be helpful for some
2. They will ask you if you would like to go on medication and see if that works, you will get an initial 2 week course of tablets as they're the worst 2 weeks and then you will be put on them for 6 months.

Other things that I've found do help me sometimes is to walk. Going for a walk can sometimes just clear your head. Exercise is also another thing that can really help. Its important to tell somebody, keeping things to your self can make mountains out of mole hills. Nobody should have to battle depression on their own.

If anyone is afraid or ashamed of seeking help through a doctor then don't be. You can expect the following

1. They will first ask you to go to some therapy sessions, can be helpful for some
2. They will ask you if you would like to go on medication and see if that works, you will get an initial 2 week course of tablets as they're the worst 2 weeks and then you will be put on them for 6 months.

Other things that I've found do help me sometimes is to walk. Going for a walk can sometimes just clear your head. Exercise is also another thing that can really help. Its important to tell somebody, keeping things to your self can make mountains out of mole hills. Nobody should have to battle depression on their own.

I also want to add to this:

Getting out is good, exercise is really beneficial for good mental health. People believe it's just physical but when I walk out that gym I feel on cloud five.

Another suggestion is to look for classes, hobbies, activities. Do something you have a passion for, if you want to meet like minded people as well, there are plenty of things to do, music lessons, art, creative writing, football, boxing, various sports, all kinds.

I aim to get back into acting so I'm looking at acting clubs, I'm also looking at MMA clubs to join and I want to learn piano. Be the best you can be, aim high. If you finish work and just want to sit at home, try to get out and do something productive, you will feel great.

I need to talk to some one but just cannot do it

You'd be surprised mate how easy it is once you open up. Even if it's just here. As you can see this forum is a bit special. We like to take the piss out of each other, but truth is there's not a sounder bunch of lads anywhere. And when you open up, you'll find you're not alone. You're not the only one that feels the way you feel, or is going through something. There is nothing new under the sun my friend.

No, we're not trained therapists, nor are we a replacement. But oddly opening yourself up to a bunch of strangers who don't know you in real life and getting words of support, or encouragement can help you start down a path of help.

Life can be very difficult. We all put up a facade that everything is great. It's not always. And we are not all perfectly designed to cope with every single thing life can throw at us.

You're among friends here.

I knew a few lads who have committed suicide. All had problems but there was one thing that made everything ten tomes worse, and I blame it for their final decision. Cocaine. It had me going the same way but I got through it with a little help. People think it's just a buzz but it seriously fooks with your head over time.

Talking about something as delicate as depression is very difficult, but doing nothing can have serious, serious consequences. Lads, for any who are struggling to come to terms just take the first step and PM one of the guys on here....to a man I'd hope we are all able to understand how hard it is to make the first move, and so treat a PM with the utmost respect and offer any help we could. Modern life, and the difficulties it brings especially for the younger ones amongst us can leave you feeling very low, jaded and looking for a way out....don't ever think of taking the ultimate way out....speak to someone now...don't wait.

Stan Collymore is a brilliant advocate for depression and mental health, and is definitely worth a listen when he speaks about his own personal past troubles and how others can help.

Talking about something as delicate as depression is very difficult, but doing nothing can have serious, serious consequences. Lads, for any who are struggling to come to terms just take the first step and PM one of the guys on here....to a man I'd hope we are all able to understand how hard it is to make the first move, and so treat a PM with the utmost respect and offer any help we could. Modern life, and the difficulties it brings especially for the younger ones amongst us can leave you feeling very low, jaded and looking for a way out....don't ever think of taking the ultimate way out....speak to someone now...don't wait.

Stan Collymore is a brilliant advocate for depression and mental health, and is definitely worth a listen when he speaks about his own personal past troubles and how others can help.

Yes absolutely spot on. For all Stan's demons his outright honesty on depression is a breath of fresh air.

The block is a right bugger, isn't it? In such cases talking to a Mental Health professional who you've never seen before helps get you going. Ask your GP who would be the best contact for you. Until then you've got fellow blues right here with experience of this sort of thing. Sharing experiences by talking about them helps a great deal in making sense of things.

Good luck, mate!

Loads of lids in this thread mate. Even if you send someone a PM. Let it all out, that's the first part toward a tiny bit of simple help.

Personally professional help from a GP didn't help me, I was all too self aware, talking about me was detrimental to my health - I found happiness in small things. It's not advice I'm just saying different people cope differently.

Just don't keep it all in your heart and head, eventually one gets full.

different people cope differently.

Just don't keep it all in your heart and head, eventually one gets full.

I think this is the best advice in the thread. Everone's different, so the best solution for one will not be the same for the other. But the universal truth is as Bryan says to find a way to let it out, as keeping it all bottled up only makes things darker.

A friend of ours had had problems for years. Happily married two great kids. Bright, successful business etc. he had been on good form and them kiss his wife on the cheek before she drove off to drop the kids at school in the rain. Was home 15 minutes later to find he'd hung himself.

You can't start to think of the damage it did. You can blame people, but you are not thinking straight, it seems right to do it and he did.

Very sad.

Look for help, talk about how your feeling, just don't let it build up on you.