Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Samaritans. GP. local support groups.

Local councillors. I mean the psychology kind.

Even people on here. But its best to be someone you can trust. With privacy and discretion thats important too.

There is support around.

There are some who seem to like to see people miserable. Some have agendas.

Thats why discretion is important. Generally a bit of support goes a long way to making things a little more bearable.

Last edited:
If you have severe clinical depression there's a pretty good chance you don't know it and it's therefore up to others to spot changes in your day to day behaviour and try to persuade you to see a doctor. Severe depression can also come with psychosis which, again, lessens the chance you know something is wrong.

Probably explains why so many suicides / suicide bids are from young men who are probably living by themselves with no "supervisor" on hand.

Some of the signs of severe depression are lack of motivation, not taking pleasure in things you used to enjoy, carelessness about appearance, constant tiredness (perhaps with occasional bursts of high energy), general feeling of sadness, a feeling of disassociation from the world around you (as though everything is a film), poor appetite, disinclination to exercise.

Unfortunately, many people take to drink / drugs. As far as drink goes, you might as well take poison as it is itself a depressant.

That third paragraph freaked me out big time. Pretty much sums me up the last coupla years.
As I mentioned earlier I was going through the same 7 years ago but was diagnosed with mild depression. The problem is that it's difficult to explain some of the feelings you have.

Talk to someone Nik. It doesn't go away on it's own.

Scariest part is people who seem incredibly happy and secure on the outside can be horribly depressed on the inside. A week ago one of my friends' friends hanged himself, and he had been talking to people seeming normal all day. A couple years back a guy at my high school took his life, and he was one of the most achieving and popular students at the high school. Depression is a serious disease, and should be treated as such.

Scariest part is people who seem incredibly happy and secure on the outside can be horribly depressed on the inside. A week ago one of my friends' friends hanged himself, and he had been talking to people seeming normal all day. A couple years back a guy at my high school took his life, and he was one of the most achieving and popular students at the high school. Depression is a serious disease, and should be treated as such.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). You can feel great one minute and 'cured'. However triggers can set things off. Depression is one of the symptoms.

There can be multiple causes and other things for depression.

Getting the support of a professional like a GP or psychiatrist is nothing to be ashamed of since its not a sign of weakness.

The bit about the families is something they never recover from. I had dealings with a family whose son killed himself aged 17.
he hid his depression from them then walked out and hung himself in the woods. His Mum, poor woman couldn't accept it as she had no idea. She genuinely belived he had been abducted and strung up.

One act like that destroys the entire family who will always blame themselves for not seeing it and doing more.

As many have said, help is everywhere. If you need it do it for yourself and for those who care for you.

Last edited:
One thing as well, is that when someone kills themself their immediate family and friends and partner feel inadequate, and that they've let them down. It's awful.

One thing as well, is that when someone kills themself their immediate family and friends and partner feel inadequate, and that they've let them down. It's awful.

Of course. It affects more than just the person who does it.

I was having a chat with someone once and I said it, I wouldn't do it but his reply to me was "Think of your Dad you selfish basta*d!" He was right.

The people that say they are gonna do it usually aren't the ones who do.

It's usually the ones who remain silent.

My girlfriend is going through a hard time lately. Her Dad is an alcoholic and it's hard for her and her Mum. They are always being pressured for money and drink and they are finding it hard to cope. My girlfriend said to me the other day she sometimes thinks about killing herself. What do I do?

I know this is a serious thread but jaycee please promise me you will not in any way engage in any form of communication with the poster MickMc86. I sincerely want you to feel better mate so please heed my words.