Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

My dog that we've had since i was 10 was put down this year. Within a week of this my mum got diagnosed with breast cancer. Thankfully they caught it early so it's treatable and she's facing it like a hero. So much more strength than I knew she had.

I've not really acknowledged it, I'm very much an ignorance is bliss kind of guy.

Music's my escape or, in this case, my ability to release my emotions.

One of my favourite bands is The Gaslight Anthem. They released their first new song in 9 years and its floored me. In particular the bridge about needing a positive charge to make me love my life again that has resonated with me more than any lyric I can remember.

Music is magic people. And I've needed that release. It's made me face the feelings I have and I hope it makes me feel better in the morning.

Parker your post is so so important and relevant. There are those on this Forum know I am a psychiatric nurse. Within my role I am expected to help collaboratively with formatting a Care Plan with my patients. In short, a plan that identifies with the patient what they can do / follow that can keep them safe and what is therapeutic for them to help through times of crisis and distress. Listening to Music and spending time with Pets / animals always highlighted on these plans. They work, they are therepeutic. For example I have heard numerous times " Terry, my dog kept me from ending it " or " I was so stressed and angry and listening to my music really chilled me out ". It's why we have a dog and it's handler / owner visit the Ward. It helps staff too because the Ward just chills. It relaxes EVERYONE. So you turning to music and pets just makes so much sense.

I would like to close by reiterating to everyone, use whatever you can that works for you to improve your mental health. If it works for you please please keep doing it. There is NOTHING more important in life than your mental health, NOTHING. Everything in life stems from peace of mind so utilise whatever works. And yes, please share it if you can. Others might find it useful, or at least give it a try. One of my service users said to me " Terry, I've joined a Choir and I love it. It really helps me ". Did I laugh, yes, with him. You would never think given his past that singing on a Choir would work for

COYBL25, your always supportive of others on this forum, how are you. Thankfully, this forum has been under utilised of late.( I still pop in on occasions to see how people are ) and you are a mainstay I hope you are fine. Cheers for being supportive of the good folk on here. Take care

I’m good my friend.

When things are quiet on here, it’s s good sign, despite all the doom and gloom surrounding the club at the mo !

Well, time for a little self indulgence if I may...
Today marks 50 years since my very first visit to Goodison Park & the only time I was able to watch a game there. As some may know, I was planning on being there for the Fulham game as it was the closest game to the date. Not only was that a bullet dodged on my part but, sadly, the day is now also associated with the passing of my Dad who slipped away this morning.
As much as he had no links to Liverpool (Mum was the Scouser) he also had a lot of fond memories of the City, as do I. We are both Essendon (AFL) fans as well, so at least their season is doing really well... (I didn't mention the Fulham game before he passed! 😉 )

Anyway... If your Mum or Dad are still with you, give them a hug or a call. Although my Dad was 95, life is still too short. Take care. ;)
So sorry about your Dad. Much love x

Today marks 50 years since my very first visit to Goodison Park & the only time I was able to watch a game there. As some may know, I was planning on being there for the Fulham game as it was the closest game to the date. Not only was that a bullet dodged on my part but, sadly, the day is now also associated with the passing of my Dad who slipped away this morning.
As much as he had no links to Liverpool (Mum was the Scouser) he also had a lot of fond memories of the City, as do I. We are both Essendon (AFL) fans as well, so at least their season is doing really well... (I didn't mention the Fulham game before he passed! 😉 )

Anyway... If your Mum or Dad are still with you, give them a hug or a call. Although my Dad was 95, life is still too short. Take care. ;)
Sorry, missed this at the time, condolences to you and your family and I certainly echo your sentiments regarding anyone out there lucky enough to have their parents still with them, cherish them and look after them.

When we lose someone like this, it's never easy, even if 95. I lost my father when he was 60 (I was 27), and my mother keeps on plodding along at 87 now.

Life is too short, take care. From my parents, I learned the habit of saying "I love you" at the end of every phone conversation / visit; I do the same with my wife & kids now - as I do not know when the last time will be that they will hear that from me, and it's important to me that they always know.

When we lose someone like this, it's never easy, even if 95. I lost my father when he was 60 (I was 27), and my mother keeps on plodding along at 87 now.

Life is too short, take care. From my parents, I learned the habit of saying "I love you" at the end of every phone conversation / visit; I do the same with my wife & kids now - as I do not know when the last time will be that they will hear that from me, and it's important to me that they always know.
Exactly this and also important never to part on bad terms. I worked with someone who had left for work after an argument with her partner. He died suddenly that day. I don’t think she ever fully recovered.

Exactly this and also important never to part on bad terms. I worked with someone who had left for work after an argument with her partner. He died suddenly that day. I don’t think she ever fully recovered.
Ok, now that's a weight on the soul! We create enough of those for ourselves, anyway, so we don't need to put on even more!

Ok, book club time if any one's interested - I've started reading through "Atomic Habits" by James Clear. Anyone been through it? Interested in going through it with me? I'd do a thread if there are a few takers, would love to hear others' opinions.

https://jamesclear.com/atomic-habits
It’s a book I’ve started a few weeks ago, and pick up now and again , I’m 44 pages in . I tend to enjoy fiction more but will be sticking with Atomic Habits until I’ve finished it.