Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I was keen to try hypnotherapy and enquired at my surgery. It wasn’t an option unless I went private but the nurse suggested relaxation tapes, (yes tapes - it was a long time ago and I know I don’t look old enoughlol ). I found that they were a great help in managing my anxiety not saying it is for everyone just that it worked for me. Hypnotherapy may be the thing that works for you as @Spotty says it’s worth a try. Best of luck.
Hi Gwladys, I'm intrigued. what was on the tapes, was it soothing waves, music or breathing suggestions.? Might be something that could be useful to some folk on here. I find the sea, waves and generally things associated with water very helpful. As you have alluded to, if it works. I'm always taking on board tips on here and and at least suggesting different interventions that might work for my patients. My favourite method for relaxation which most on here would agree with is pets, especially the ones you can be tactile with. There's something about pets looking at you for love and attention and how it's returned by pets unconditionally.

Hi Gwladys, I'm intrigued. what was on the tapes, was it soothing waves, music or breathing suggestions.? Might be something that could be useful to some folk on here. I find the sea, waves and generally things associated with water very helpful. As you have alluded to, if it works. I'm always taking on board tips on here and and at least suggesting different interventions that might work for my patients. My favourite method for relaxation which most on here would agree with is pets, especially the ones you can be tactile with. There's something about pets looking at you for love and attention and how it's returned by pets unconditionally.
The tape was a woman’s voice taking me through breathing excercises followed by tensing and relaxing muscles. Then counting backwards from 10 going down imaginary steps and when I reached the bottom I would feel totally and completely relaxed and give myself permission to daydream. When I felt ready I would slowly count forward to 10 then open my eyes. I was sceptical about it at first but stuck at it. I would set aside 30 minutes each morning, this was easy for me as I was a stay at home Mum. It really did help. I agree about the water sounds being relaxing, gentle rainfall is my favourite, there’s also a podcast - the sound of a train going along the track, I like that too but that’s probably because of my railway background.?

The tape was a woman’s voice taking me through breathing excercises followed by tensing and relaxing muscles. Then counting backwards from 10 going down imaginary steps and when I reached the bottom I would feel totally and completely relaxed and give myself permission to daydream. When I felt ready I would slowly count forward to 10 then open my eyes. I was sceptical about it at first but stuck at it. I would set aside 30 minutes each morning, this was easy for me as I was a stay at home Mum. It really did help. I agree about the water sounds being relaxing, gentle rainfall is my favourite, there’s also a podcast - the sound of a train going along the track, I like that too but that’s probably because of my railway background.?
I do Mindfulness. It helps me loads. Plenty of videos on youtube that people can try.

Gwladys, unfashionable to ask a Lady's age but your " railway background " has brought fond memories flooding back. Are you old enough to remember " Casey Jones " ? If not it's ok to think " poor Spotty, nice fella, really old duffer though " ? ( Robinson Crusoe, Banana Splits, Double Deckas, Mary Mungo and Midge, Heidi, Swiss Family Robinson, and my mum's God bless her, all time favourite Worzel Gummidge ). Dear me I'm old.

Gwladys, unfashionable to ask a Lady's age but your " railway background " has brought fond memories flooding back. Are you old enough to remember " Casey Jones " ? If not it's ok to think " poor Spotty, nice fella, really old duffer though " ? ( Robinson Crusoe, Banana Splits, Double Deckas, Mary Mungo and Midge, Heidi, Swiss Family Robinson, and my mum's God bless her, all time favourite Worzel Gummidge ). Dear me I'm old.
“Casey Jones steamin‘ and a- rollin’” , yes I am well old enough to remember! Anyone who frequents the Messymascot thread will know that along with the Queen I had my own platinum celebration recently lol. My railway background is my late Dad and my brother both train drivers, I worked in the wages office and son works for LNER. My Dad would constantly criticise Casey Jones - “They’d never be able to stop that locomotive so quickly..” and “If they did that the train would de-rail” From your choice of programmes I would guess that you are far from being an old duffer - compared with me you are still a Spring Chicken! That Robinson Crusoe theme though - unforgettable

“Casey Jones steamin‘ and a- rollin’” , yes I am well old enough to remember! Anyone who frequents the Messymascot thread will know that along with the Queen I had my own platinum celebration recently lol. My railway background is my late Dad and my brother both train drivers, I worked in the wages office and son works for LNER. My Dad would constantly criticise Casey Jones - “They’d never be able to stop that locomotive so quickly..” and “If they did that the train would de-rail” From your choice of programmes I would guess that you are far from being an old duffer - compared with me you are still a Spring Chicken! That Robinson Crusoe theme though - unforgettable
" De de de de. de de, de de de de. de de dedede rinse and repeat. Saturday mornings were fantastic. Remember Flipper. Makes a few dolphin noises and son says " Flipper said he's around at Sandy Cove, he's hurt bad pa " ???

We are of a similar vintage Spotty!