Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Be careful with gambling. I have lost a substantial amount of money of recently on PL matches and especially AFCON. Its fine to do every now and then but if there's one thing you take away from this is DO NOT WHATEVER YOU DO TRY TO MAKE WHAT YOU LOST BACK PLEASE GOD.
I'm working on getting help and have blocked gaming transactions from my bank but I feel as if it has tainted football.
Be careful out there.

Be careful with gambling. I have lost a substantial amount of money of recently on PL matches and especially AFCON. Its fine to do every now and then but if there's one thing you take away from this is DO NOT WHATEVER YOU DO TRY TO MAKE WHAT YOU LOST BACK PLEASE GOD.
I'm working on getting help and have blocked gaming transactions from my bank but I feel as if it has tainted football.
Be careful out there.
It is not always easy admit an addiction and giving people advise on your own mistakes, so I commend you for your openness. I wish you the best of luck getting your gambling under control so you don’t lose more money, or other important things.

Be careful out there.

I've mentioned it before but I can't recommend GA enough, my brother had a massive gambling problem that he kept well hidden, until it started to spiral and he had to admit it. I took him every week and sat outside whilst he went in so he couldn't do a runner, once he got the first 2-3 sessions out of the way and listened to other stories it started to have an effect and fortunately he hasn't gambled since, that's a good few years now.

All the best whatever help you get.

I've mentioned it before but I can't recommend GA enough, my brother had a massive gambling problem that he kept well hidden, until it started to spiral and he had to admit it. I took him every week and sat outside whilst he went in so he couldn't do a runner, once he got the first 2-3 sessions out of the way and listened to other stories it started to have an effect and fortunately he hasn't gambled since, that's a good few years now.

All the best whatever help you get.
Absolutely. In a few weeks I'll be 9 years since a bet . Struggled to go 9 hours before that. Meetings are what helped me anyway. Would not have stopped without them

Absolutely. In a few weeks I'll be 9 years since a bet . Struggled to go 9 hours before that. Meetings are what helped me anyway. Would not have stopped without them

Well in, that's good going, think my brother must be 6-7 years now as well. It ruled his life for a long time and yet nobody knew until he eventually ran out of money and had to start coming up with fanciful stories to his wife about where all his money was. I've seen first hand how difficult it was for him so credit to you for getting help and sticking with it mate.

Well in, that's good going, think my brother must be 6-7 years now as well. It ruled his life for a long time and yet nobody knew until he eventually ran out of money and had to start coming up with fanciful stories to his wife about where all his money was. I've seen first hand how difficult it was for him so credit to you for getting help and sticking with it mate.
Cheers mate . It's not easy . You have to want to stop . And then you need the supports available. For me the meetings were the ones. Just pick up so many little things to steer you in the right direction

I think this is only available to Londoners, but Imperial are trying to map loneliness to provide a visual representation of the problem if anyone wants to take the survey

I like a flutter and if truth be known I have probably overspent gambling during the festive period. But in acknowledgement of what others are going through I am cancelling my betting apps - I can see the downward spiral from the experience of others. Thank you to those who are sharing their experiences...it's a salutary message to us all and a major step forward to to those of trying to overcome this addiction.

Be careful out there.
Gambling is a very unique addiction, you believe you can gamble your way out of your problem, no other addiction does this, there's no alcoholic that thinks they can drink their way out of the addiction.
I've been guilty of chasing losses in a bookies it's no fun when you come out at closing time down a couple of hundred euros.. I wont say I ever had a problem with it as it was seldom I went into a bookies and never had an on line betting account, but on the few occasions when I did lose "big" for me I felt like sh1t, I could only imigine the feeling if this was a regular/daily occurrence.

I gamble but have it under control ! What I don't have under control is alcohol & depression, struggle daily !
That must be really hard, I’m sorry mate.

Have you seen anyone about your alcohol struggles? I know GA has been championed in here for gamblers, so maybe AA is worth a crack?

It’s a horrible affliction because you think the alcohol is taking the depression away when in reality it’s a root cause. It’s also really easy/comforting to believe you could stop anytime you want, so good on you for owning the fact that it is a problem.

Reach out to AA, or your doctor or anyone you think can help. You’ve taken an important first step in admitting the problem so I’m sure you can beat it with the right help.

Good luck mate.

Fascinating programme (3rd of 3), discussing the possible medical benefits of fungi, including those containing psilocybin (magic mushrooms) The first five minutes contains a piece on a nasty fungus and ants. The first two episodes are well worth a listen.