Director of Football Model

• Is good for Everton

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Is bad for Everton

Votes: 29 34.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
the blame is squarely with bozos like @MarcelsGoat who fan boy new staff based on them wearing a suit jacket with levis so the everton promote people to the board after one slightly above average year. until u harpoon ur fan boys u will always be trash buddies so start right now.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of the model, but i get its the modern way of doing things and as a club you have to fit into practices that are broader in football, i can imagine its necessary and best practice in football systems and interactions.

In application to us at best its a piece of change management we havent managed very well, in fact poorly, look at the impact of poor recruitment on club finance and also our regression as a team.

At worst i think we have to many key stake holders all fighting for pieces of the pie in decision making, undermining all decisions. We have gone through a ridiculous number of managers, we have poorly recruited and have wasted so much money. We have to many key stake holders feeding into decisions in my opinion Bill, Mosh, whatever manger, the board and DOF. It all feeds into what we see, incoherent decision making. Lets be honest its what we have seen happen at the club.

It really depends on how it functions in practice and I think a lot of people just see it as a role solely focussed on buying and selling players. We don’t really have a clue how it works in practice. We don’t know how transfer targets are identified (though we can assume that the DOF would be more likely to hsve an impact in negotiations).

but the role is much broader than just signings and really needs to be judged long term (like 5 years or so).

I think the issue with most fans is that DOF is responsible for all aspects of recruitment (including identifying targets) and that is there sole job. Which is why the model tends to be entirely focussed on how well individual players do and over a couple of transfer windows.

Now I’m not saying I rate brands at all but there are a huge number of assumptions being made on responsibility, internal relationships (including the impact of the chairman).

For instance, if DOF puts in place infrastructure for the likes of Gordon or DCL to flourish, do they get judged on that? I’d wager not but I’d expect they play a fairly large part in putting the cogs of the machine together.

im not sure we work in a model where the manager has absolutely zero say, hence richarlison.

basically I’m not sure it’s functioning completely well. I’m not sure the blame is solely on the DOF (especially when it comes to transfers). Ultimately to judge we need stability in terms of manager and DOF for the bare minimum of 3 years and then they need to be judged on all sorts of things. Finances, recruitment, development, etc.

Id say finances are starting to improve, recruitment has been fairly poor and development seems quite good. So fair.

if you are judging solely on recruitment and assuming sole responsibility then poor.

I used to be all for it but am going to have to say no it is not good for the club and that is based purely on the fact that we have not improved in anything whatsoever in the past 4 years and have probably even gone backwards. We are still as cack now as we were 4 years ago but with the added bonus that we are going through managers as if we want to be like Watford. There are too many cooks with their own personal recipe's and we have no idea who does what and have ended up paying obscene amounts of transfer fees, wages and fees for mostly uninterested cowards that dont deserve to wear the shirt and dont represent anything to do with Everton. We even went as low as putting a criminal scumbag like Allardyce in charge of the blues ffs.

Been through some rough times as an Everton supporter over the years but the last 4 or 5 years in particular have came the closest to driving me away from football altogether as there is very little enjoyment to it so why torture yourself.

Last edited:
At a normal club, it seems to work.

At Everton it's been a disaster but did anyone expect anything else really?

I wouldn't trust the bozos at the club to put the wheely bins out on the right day never mind changing the whole way of operating from top to bottom.

the blame is squarely with bozos like @MarcelsGoat who fan boy new staff based on them wearing a suit jacket with levis so the everton promote people to the board after one slightly above average year. until u harpoon ur fan boys u will always be trash buddies so start right now.

Ive changed.

I will no longer support individuals at Everton.

Cos its easier to just hate everybody and assume they will be rubbish, that way you can be right everytime.

D4XUIykX4AA1Rsl.png

I think long term it works. Brands needs more time - he’s always been open and said it will take time to get where we want to be.

That said - we need a much better window this summer. 3 summer windows should be enough to gauge how it’s going especially with the money we’ve spent.

I’m looking forward to seeing how he gets on with Carlo’s pulling power.

The simplest, and least sarcastic, argument for the DOF model at Everton follows:

1) The Everton owner (and supporters) desire a relatively high level of success at the club
Granted, only the owner/board makes decisions as such, but here we are as supporters discussing the merits of the DOF model

2) Most people are little better than average at their jobs
Little better than average will not produce the level of success desired

3) Many successful people are successful at only one job, and not multiple jobs
"Because it worked with Moyes" is not only poor evidence against the DOF model, it's poor logic to begin with

4) Finding someone who is competent at building the club's player resources is as important as finding a manager who can assemble them into a successful playing unit; it is unlikely that Everton will find one person who can be successful at both jobs at the level of success desired; having two persons employed in separate jobs makes each easier to replace

5) The DOF model is here to stay, it's been used successfully in North American sports for 30-40 years and its only you English weirdos who don't seem to like it
*ok, it got sarcastic again at the end, SOZ

I'm worried about with our particular model is that the DOF doesn't have enough control. Brands is from the Eredivisie. They don't play 4-4-2. The fact that he now has a manager who seems determined to play that confuses me a bit, even if he is by far the most decorated manager we could have hoped to attract.

The problem becomes there is no point to the DOF who is supposed to bring a longer term team building point of view if the managers are going to constantly come in wanting to do different things. But I think it is also important to remember we are still only a few years removed from what might go down as the worst transfer window in the history of football and that damage will still take more time to erase.

The simplest, and least sarcastic, argument for the DOF model at Everton follows:

1) The Everton owner (and supporters) desire a relatively high level of success at the club
Granted, only the owner/board makes decisions as such, but here we are as supporters discussing the merits of the DOF model

2) Most people are little better than average at their jobs
Little better than average will not produce the level of success desired

3) Many successful people are successful at only one job, and not multiple jobs
"Because it worked with Moyes" is not only poor evidence against the DOF model, it's poor logic to begin with

4) Finding someone who is competent at building the club's player resources is as important as finding a manager who can assemble them into a successful playing unit; it is unlikely that Everton will find one person who can be successful at both jobs at the level of success desired; having two persons employed in separate jobs makes each easier to replace

5) The DOF model is here to stay, it's been used successfully in North American sports for 30-40 years and its only you English weirdos who don't seem to like it
*ok, it got sarcastic again at the end, SOZ
It's longer than 30-40 years even. Baseball teams had general managers before they had black players.

Most clubs now work under that model, really as long as the DOF and manager work together well then it's fine. The DOF is a glorified head of recruitment, if Brands fails to deliver this summer then he probs has to go, and Ancelotti needs to be consulted before anyone else is appointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.