Did we chase Martinez out too soon?

Are the fans to blame for Everton right now?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well let's put it this way: right now I wish he'd been taken on as interim manager back in January, because I think we'd have seen a discernable style of football and our attack being a lot less gummy than it has been under Lampard. Given our surfeit of wingers and forwards, the counter attacking game deployed by Martinez away from home would have better suited us than this open play policy of Lampard's.
Would you have been happy with him taking time out from club matters to coach Belgium in the international break? Because that was the sticking point, he wanted to do both jobs simultaneously

Well let's put it this way: right now I wish he'd been taken on as interim manager back in January, because I think we'd have seen a discernable style of football and our attack being a lot less gummy than it has been under Lampard. Given our surfeit of wingers and forwards, the counter attacking game deployed by Martinez away from home would have better suited us than this open play policy of Lampard's.
you think micheal keane would have been able to play his style of football he had stones who could actually pass from the back and the rest of the team struggles to complete a basic pass but you think he would work with side devoid of creativity and confidence? he wouldn't been feasible whatsoever

A resounding YES.

Not so much the firing itself….but the fact he was replaced with Moon Head so Moshiri would have “all the great managers working in the North West” and which gave us a first glimpse of the Laa Laa land he inhabited.

The Koeman/Walsh fiasco was the first step on the slippery slope to the trap door we now just hover above.

He should have given Bob a season anyway.
I wanted Martinez out, because league wise the club was in free fall, but look at how the last six years have worked out!

We definitely should have given Martinez, a chance to prove himself with the Moshiri money.

The road to now started in summer 2017, when Ronald Koeman and Steve Walsh set in motion, the events that could very well lead to our demise as a top flight club.

Sam Allardyce did a reasonable job in hindsight. Sure the football was crap, but we finished 8th. He did the job he was brought in to do.

Marco Silva was a nice man, who was in way over his head as Everton manager.

Carlo Ancelotti could have been a great manager for us, before he did a runner. We we were in free fall in our last few games with him though. Then we hired that has been kopite.

Roberto Martinez gave Everton our highest points total since when we last won the league. He was very unlucky not to win the FA Cup in 2016 as well.

We should have given him at least the one more season. If Lukaku didn't have an off day, we would have faced a beatable Crystal Palace team in the final as well

Remember when he said that he didn't go to Kiev looking for a clean sheet, and the reporter didn't immediately ask: 'Why would you ever plan to concede, mate?'

The only way we chased Martinez out too soon was if we were in a race with Sunderland to see who could get to League One the quickest. Guess they won.

I think we did yes. I feel like there had started to become dressing room issues towards the end of his time, possibly because in Lukaku and perhaps Barkley for the first time we began to have significant disparity in contracts between individuals. I wish we'd have given him the chance to recycle the squad with Moshiris money and potentially deal with whatever dressing room issues had arisen. He didn't really get the chance to put it right - perhaps he was better placed to do so than a new manager given he did at least know the squad and have a plan for how we should play.

Did we chase out the manager who made torrid anal hammerings at Anfield the norm too soon?

Well, if you enjoy torrid anal hammerings, the answer to that quite simply must be, yes. Yes, Kent, we did.
If you want to get stuff about “anal hammerings” off your chest mate then I can’t think of anywhere better when this thread. Please proceed.

No. In fact, I'd say we gave Martinez six months more than he deserved. The second half of his second season was awful and the string of poor results, taken alongside his insistence on signing half the Wigan squad that he got relegated the year before, should have been seen as a clear indicator that things were amiss.

He got given the benefit of the doubt in the summer between his second and third seasons, probably due to misplaced notions that the results and performances in the first season were his "norm". However by the time we'd reached November in his third season Martinez had ripped the guts out of the defence Moyes had built and was telling anyone who would listen that Tom Cleverley and Aiden McGeady were CL- standard players. In retrospect he should have been booted out in the summer after his second season, but I'm amazed he didn't get the chop in December of his third season, giving a new man the January window to steady the ship.

Koeman certainly wasted more money than Martinez and accelerated the decline, but make no mistake: the rot started with Martinez. A manager who got Wigan relegated. If he was good enough to keep them up, then the players must have been cack and we shouldn't have signed them. But if the likes of Kone, Alcaraz and McCarthy were good enough to stay up then Martinez must have been inferior and we shouldn't have given him the keys to Finch Farm. Bill went all in, signing a relegated manager and giving him permission to sign half his relegated squad - utter stupidity, with utterly predictable results.

Martínez had no interest whatsoever in defending, you can have all the money in the world to spend on players, but if you can't organise a back line you're toast in this league. I felt bad for Allardyce,

Clubs figured us out in year 2. He didn't change. He lost the players and the fans. Rafael had more support in his final match than Bob did.

Always liked him though, he's easy to root for and appears to be a really nice guy. I think he loved it here. He has said in interviews that he's much more pragmatic these days and knows that sometimes you just have to grind out wins.

The current lot doesn't deserve a nice guy coach and would walk right over him. However if we are in the championship after the clearout, I would have him back.

Just think if he had bought Van Dijk instead of Funes Mori how different the outcome might have been!

Just makes you realise how many bad signings we've made after Moyes left. Thats really the source of all our problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.