Deulofeu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

He could have spent the last 3 years struggling to get into Southend’s team and I’d still do anything to have him back

There’s too much there, the connection was too strong

A player who plays well for maybe half an hour once every seven or eight games, is permenantly injured, and has the stamina of an octogenarian who has smoked 50 fags a day all his life. What could possibly go wrong?

YAau54.gif

He's a good player, better than he was when he was here. But I don't know about buying him again especially after a bad injury. Let's see how he does next season first before even contemplating it.

The last thing we need is another Gbamin situation.

I'd take him in a cut price deal, definitely. He's basically a younger replacement for Walcott, but with arguably better end product and still the potential to get better. We don't have anybody in the squad who carries the ball as good as him, or anyone who sees and plays the killer pass well as he does.

As with the Zaha deal, I wouldn't specifically go out and pay top dollar for him, but if we can come to some agreement, maybe a player exchange and minimal fee to pay, why not?

Hypothetically, if we could swap Iwobi or Walcott and Tosun, plus £10/15m for Zaha, and maybe Bolasie or Sigurdsson and £10m for Deulofeu, we have improved 2 positions for relatively small outlay and removed 3 unwanted players in the process, so would likely break even or possibly even save on wages.

I think we need to have ambition, but it needs to be tempered in some semblance of financial reality. We can't just add 5 or 6 £40m superstars to our squad and keep the rest, and we will struggle to shift some of the deadwood, so picking up some cheaper, known quantity alternatives and trying to think of ways to work around it so we can focus our intentions on areas that need it the most is the best way to go. It's probably going to be incremental and take a few years of steady improvement, it won't happen in 1 rushed summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.