2022/23 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you are saying but you need to score goals to win.

Yep - difficult decision - and we don't have any other decent goalscorers really (DCL can be - but has lost his momentum obvs).

For what its worth I think he is the most talented forward we have - perhaps as the team grows in confidence defensively we can afford his downsides.

He is defiantly better than Moupay and McNeil by a country mile, at the very least he does score the occasional goal which the others do not.
Definitely not better than McNeil...overall Dwight works twice as hard, tracks back, puts in some cracking crosses and tackles none of which Gray does...just my opinion...

It'll be interesting to see if he is used against teams where we'll be parking the bus. Maupay has had a couple of opportunities when he has been clear and displayed a surprising lack of pace and confidence. Gray's the only one really that you can given the ball to who can stretch teams with pace and trickery, although Onana is an athlete. Dyche doesn't look like somebody who does subs that much so a worry for Gray is that I think that he's a player that needs an arm around him rather than a rocket and may not react well to being on the bench constantly.

Definitely not better than McNeil...overall Dwight works twice as hard, tracks back, puts in some cracking crosses and tackles none of which Gray does...just my opinion...
Jeez… thought Dwight was terrible a few weeks back… opinion changes fast round here.
Just kidding not saying it was you.
Room for both, gray is a talent but strugglers with decision making and lacking tactical discipline which prob at this time, where we are, with Dyche chasing narrow victories doesn’t bode well.
However, as many have pointed out before he would be a asset for late sun running at tired legs, both chasing a game or needing a long ball outlet in the channels

Again I just mean there has to be a place for him at the end of the game to offer a threat. I wouldn't start him but the last 10 or 15 I think we can give him a role. If we try to hold on for dear life with the 1-0 eventually we'll concede.

We need to start winning games 2-0 and so on else we are always going to be hovering on that trap door.
100% this.

What's so strange is that if Gray would excel in any role, it's coming on for the last 20 mins nursing a one goal lead, providing pace for a counter. He could easily put a game to bed 2-0 after we defend for a our lives and outlet to him.

Gray is pretty much the poster boy of having no end product, that is definitely the argument i'd be putting forward for why he should play.
Except he's proven over 2 seasons that aside from Richy, he's literally the only other guy we have with end product.

He does, in fact, occasionally score. Same can't be said for others

Except he's proven over 2 seasons that aside from Richy, he's literally the only other guy we have with end product.

Gray has 3 goals and 1 assist. Mcniel has 2 and 2. Pathetically, they’re our two stop scorers. No one has any end product at Everton. It’s why we haven’t scored more than one goal in a game since October.

As @carolinablue232 has just said, his end product this season has been no better than McNeil's. I'm not knocking him, but any argument for him playing would be that he offers more in terms of intangibles like being more exciting or unpredictable, not that he has better end product, because he blatantly doesn't.

No wonders he is not playing. When he came on he was actually worst than iwobi. Another example of our lack of option in attack. This guy should probably not even being on the bench at the moment, yet he is the only option we have...

Status
Not open for further replies.