2021/22 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he’s talking combined. And gray got 10
Goals in 133 games at Leicester. I’m not expecting there to be massive jump up, playing for us

Its why we need another wide player.

Although im happy with Gray as a squad player - sometimes the right manager/environment can help a player.

I imagine Benitez's no nonsense approach probably helps in having him buckle down. He's also at the age where he's probably more mature and knows his career is at a crossroads.

I think he’s talking combined. And gray got 10
Goals in 133 games at Leicester. I’m not expecting there to be massive jump up, playing for us

Im not so bothered about the individual stats. We’ve not had enough wide men that can work both ways with pace at Goodison for a long time. Richarlison has done it at times when not playing centrally. Mirallas on occasion. It’s very rare we’ve had two in the same team. If Townsend and Gray are keeping us compact defensively and making chances for the strikers that will be a huge improvement on what Iwobi Bernard Siggurdson etc. have produced from those positions recently.

Sorry mate that’s rubbish. Harvey Barnes is a fast winger. Perez was also playing in the wide areas. Rodgers plays 4231 surely that system would suit him. I’m not sure what Vardy has to do with it.

And Leverkusen sell him after 10 games at a loss. After they’ve just sold one of their best wingers for 30mil. Surely a 2mil winger could have been a good squad player for them.

er - as has been said, he had a release clause so that is why he left Leverkusen

As for Leicester, when he went there was three years before Rodgers went there, three years before Perez signed and two years before Barnes made his debut (and three before he became a fixture in the side).

Im not so bothered about the individual stats. We’ve not had enough wide men that can work both ways with pace at Goodison for a long time. Richarlison has done it at times when not playing centrally. Mirallas on occasion. It’s very rare we’ve had two in the same team. If Townsend and Gray are keeping us compact defensively and making chances for the strikers that will be a huge improvement on what Iwobi Bernard Siggurdson etc. have produced from those positions recently.

Not saying they won't improve but we can't ignore their stats for assists. Gray 133 prem appearances, 10 goals scored and 1 assist every 14 games. Townsend, 244 prem appearances, 22 goals scored and 1 assist every 9 games.

Last edited:

Cant remember James scoring 10 and assisting 10 last season. Richarlison definitely didn’t assist 10.

Why are you setting a bar for Gray that our current best players can’t reach?
10 goals/assists combined.

James and Richarlison did it...one was injured for almost half and the other was in bad form.

If he cant hit those numbers he shouldnt be in the team.

plus of course if they are supplying the width then Coleman / Digne aren't going to be expected to do that as well as their normal role

He did well yesterday.
Gave us an outlet and got us up the park.
Is he a long term answer ? Probably not but for now he is an option that we can find useful.
I'd probably sum up Townsend the same but to be honest both of them should only be squad players.

Status
Not open for further replies.