Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Townsend isn't an inspiring signing, but he is a decent premier league winger and he

It's the cloest we've got to a Pienaar/Arteta transfer for a while. A player who is still young that didn't quite make it when they took the step up with a point to prove were amongst my favourite types of signings.

Low risk/high potential reward.
That was our M.O back in the day and a lot of times - not every time - it worked really well. I'm all for it, too.

Not against Gray but let's not pretend we haven't had situations like Van Der Meyde where, although he may not have cost much, did end up being a drain on our resources that we couldn't shift. Ie. there is a reason Gray is 1.5m, he is a risk.

Not against Gray but let's not pretend we haven't had situations like Van Der Meyde where, although he may not have cost much, did end up being a drain on our resources that we couldn't shift. Ie. there is a reason Gray is 1.5m, he is a risk.
Right. But the risk is low, in Premier League terms. The lower the fee/wages, the lower the potential downside and the higher the potential upside.

Every transfer imaginable carries with it a degree of risk. I'd say this particular one is pretty much as low as it gets.

If he is a replacement of Bernard then it’s ok. But only as squad player.
Have you seen a lot of Gray?

I can only remember cameo appearances and he didn't look amazing.

This "it's OK if he is a squad player" concept needs to die off. How many years have we had a squad filled with crap because the players we signed were never good enough in the first place.

Ok we aren't spending 30 million on him like Iwobi but if he isn't good enough to make a case to start then what's the point in the first place.

This "it's OK if he is a squad player" concept needs to die off. How many years have we had a squad filled with crap because the players we signed were never good enough in the first place.

Ok we aren't spending 30 million on him like Iwobi but if he isn't good enough to make a case to start then what's the point in the first place.
I think the point is that we need a squad and can have people on the bench other than 2 goalies and a small selection of children.

I think it’s because he had a buyout clause tbh.
Fair enough, but if there is competition for his signature the wage demands will go up - if not then others don't want to take the risk.

There's no such thing as a bargain is there, that's what agents are for.

I don't know what I'm trying to say really - other than the obvious point that a smaller bet is normally a bigger risk - i hope it works out for the club obvs.

Maybe he’s on low wages. And unlike Iwobi he does not cost £28m. Not saying I want him. A bit underwhelming but looks like ffp is the problem. Unless we can shift the like in Iwobi, Bernard and Gomes etc.

Maybe he’s on low wages. And unlike Iwobi he does not cost £28m. Not saying I want him. A bit underwhelming but looks like ffp is the problem. Unless we can shift the like in Iwobi, Bernard and Gomes etc.
I don't think it's FFP as much as just literal cash

Van aDer Meyde was a headcase.

Gray is a young player who so far has not delivered on his early potential and had a buy out clause of lass than two million.. there is no comparison between the two.

I don't think it's FFP as much as just literal cash

We have cash, in the sense we probably have £20-30m to spend right now.

But beyond that, any incomings depend on sales. For everything from FFP to just general business sense.

We clearly need another central midfielder, for example, but we have six on the books as it is, without counting Sigurdsson, James and Iwobi (who I think you can fudge and say they're attackers).

Status
Not open for further replies.