2022/23 Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tottenham wants him used to get more. Everton wants to not play him to pay less. Seems like a perfect opportunity to negotiate a one time payment to eliminate the clause in the agreement which could also benefit a player that put in some great seasons for the Spurs but is struggling now.

They should at least try a negotiation, even if Spurs say no it's worth the effort as the current situation benefits no-one.

Tottenham wants him used to get more. Everton wants to not play him to pay less. Seems like a perfect opportunity to negotiate a one time payment to eliminate the clause in the agreement which could also benefit a player that put in some great seasons for the Spurs but is struggling now.

…why would we want to pay Spurs anything more for a player who has shown nothing for two seasons?

Good luck to the lad with his private battles but we’re already committed to paying his wages for another season. We’re not a charity, we should be looking to cut our losses if that option arises. Perfect if he can see out his contract on loan somewhere.

1 year left on his deal with big add ons if he plays and an uncertain performance level. Delighted we have been supportive to the lad and wish him the best, but I think its unlikely we see a comeback at Goodison

…why would we want to pay Spurs anything more for a player who has shown nothing for two seasons?

Good luck to the lad with his private battles but we’re already committed to paying his wages for another season. We’re not a charity, we should be looking to cut our losses if that option arises. Perfect if he can see out his contract on loan somewhere.
This is what I don’t understand about some of the posts. They complain about how horribly the club is run (which is 100 percent true) and they want the club to take the fall for 40 million when there is a very likely chance he still struggles mightily. Not only does it affect our chances in the league but it kills us financially so we can feel good about ourselves as he leaves at the end of his contract. Good luck to Dele- I mean that sincerely. If he proves with the limited time he is worth the punt, go ahead. We can’t afford to play him into form.

This is what I don’t understand about some of the posts. They complain about how horribly the club is run (which is 100 percent true) and they want the club to take the fall for 40 million when there is a very likely chance he still struggles mightily. Not only does it affect our chances in the league but it kills us financially so we can feel good about ourselves as he leaves at the end of his contract. Good luck to Dele- I mean that sincerely. If he proves with the limited time he is worth the punt, go ahead. We can’t afford to play him into form.
We're not gonna take a 40 mil fall are we though? Because if we end up paying 40 mil for him, it will be because he's playing so often he's contributing and being worth the money. We could take a 10mil gamble however. I would rather take that than spend 10 mil on someone hideous, for example the 15mil on Maupay.

We need a creative/attacking midfielder type. We bid 30 odd million for Gibbs White last year and reported to have had an interest in Ndiaye.

We aren't getting one for 10 mill, so the question is whether Dele can play 38 games at a decent level to contribute and improve us and whether that is worth 10 mill to us.

Not sure when the second instalment kicks in. I just don’t think the lad has it anymore tbh, he very clearly just doesn’t do enough in training and Dyche is the last manager to put up with that.

Be amazed if he gets anywhere near 7 appearances never mind 38

We're not gonna take a 40 mil fall are we though? Because if we end up paying 40 mil for him, it will be because he's playing so often he's contributing and being worth the money. We could take a 10mil gamble however. I would rather take that than spend 10 mil on someone hideous, for example the 15mil on Maupay.
40 mil is besides the point. It’s still bad business for us to play him without a justifiable reason. The onus is on Dele to prove he is up for it. His problems should have very little bearing on whether we play him or not. It is up to Mr. Alli. Not us.

Not sure when the second instalment kicks in. I just don’t think the lad has it anymore tbh, he very clearly just doesn’t do enough in training and Dyche is the last manager to put up with that.

Be amazed if he gets anywhere near 7 appearances never mind 38

Think he has another 7 appearances before the trigger mate.

This is the thing, how much was his lack of effort or poor training down to sleeping tablets and how much was "lost his love of football".

We either have a high earner to carry or one of the most talented players of his generation trying to get to 100% of is powers after years of substance misuse.

There will be of course an assessment into which side of the coin the club think he will fall in and a decision needs to be made and rightly so.

But if hes settled, training well and looking like one of the most talented players in the squad in training over preseason - we could do with a creative and attacking threat from midfield and we arent getting much else for 10 mill.

Its definitely an option worth assessing. We're a side that needs 10-20 goals injected into it, full tilt hes capable of double digits in goals and assists.

TBH im not even closed minded on Gomes etc.

Dyche strikes me as someone with a high level of emotional intelligence, he has boundaries but i think at the same time - he understands humans and can get the best out of people.

We need a creative/attacking midfielder type. We bid 30 odd million for Gibbs White last year and reported to have had an interest in Ndiaye.

We aren't getting one for 10 mill, so the question is whether Dele can play 38 games at a decent level to contribute and improve us and whether that is worth 10 mill to us.
Put it more in context of a loan.
He has 1 season left on his contract.
Would you pay a £10m loan fee?
Let alone £20m+ fee. For 1 season.

Had considered that mate.

But i feel the dynamic is different - would you bring him in now - no - but hes here and hes going to cost us 5 mill anyway in wages. we have a need for goals and assists, if he can prove he can provide and contribute - is it worth risk (i know its an if) - yes for me, would you pay 10 mill now to add goals and assists to the team if it helped avoid a last day relegation fight - yeah i would.

Consider we payed 13 mill for Maupay and 7.5 mill to have Zouma on loan for a year.

What else are we getting in the market given our current budget constraints at attacking midfield for 10 mill, as we crawl from season to season on our bellies in the financial limits of recruitment.

The above if prefixed on the presumption that he proves it to the manager enough to earn that commitment. He may or may not admittedly - but its defo worth assessing - which is the point im making really - be foolish not to.

Id be fluid enough in my thinking at the moment.

Last edited:
40 mil is besides the point. It’s still bad business for us to play him without a justifiable reason. The onus is on Dele to prove he is up for it. His problems should have very little bearing on whether we play him or not. It is up to Mr. Alli. Not us.
No, 40mil was your point. If he's showing promise in training, play him, that's your justification, we have 6 games to find out if he's capable without it costing us. There is very little in our squad capable of playing the number 10 role. This is a very simple concept to understand. Lastly, he doesn't go by the name Alli anymore.

But it’s not a loan
If we give him the opportunity to prove himself and he does prove himself and he starts to enjoy playing again and starts to get close to his old levels then he’ll likely repay our faith by signing a contract extension and then we have a player who was once touted as being worth £100m on our books

I
But it’s not a loan
If we give him the opportunity to prove himself and he does prove himself and he starts to enjoy playing again and starts to get close to his old levels then he’ll likely repay our faith by signing a contract extension and then we have a player who was once touted as being worth £100m on our books

I was really surprised reading the Leicester forum about Nacho yesterday mate, Dele came up and they'd all have him their on loan in some type of deal for Nacho - was honestly surprised, you forget how good he was and how highly regarded his talent was in football.

Wouldn't it be a great thing for the lad, football in general and a terrific human gesture, if Spurs just said - "get back on your feet lad and we will wave the 20 game clause" - im not naïve to think it would happen, but would be a terrific gesture for what he contributed for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.