Defending Set Pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryLimeStreet

Player Valuation: £500k
First, apologies if this a repost, I have been looking for topics relating to this but couldn't see any.

But defending set pieces seems to be a bit problem we are having this season. So many big games we have either switched off or simply not known how to deal with them. Games apart from Saturday that spring to mind are Tottenham, first goal at Anfield, all 3 goals in the derby at goodison, and I'm sure there are afew more that we've conceded over the course of the season.

A lot of people having commented on Martinez's feelings towards corners in our favour, but do people on here think that defending set pieces could be getting slightly overlooked in training?

I may be reading too much into this given the nature we got beat Saturday, but this has been in my mind ever seen the 3-3 derby at goodison.

We have been getting steadily worse at it for a couple of years. Our team isnt that tall anymore but we have too many players who switch off or dont track runners.

Got worse attacking and defensively since Cahill left.

Our defending at corners and free kicks has certainly deteriorated since Cahill left - sometimes you don't know what you have until it is gone. Thinking back, how many times was Cahill first to the ball in defensive set pieces, and/or his physical presence put off an attacker.

RM's thoughts on dead ball situations are well known. They are not something he places a lot of emphasis on.

If we have that approach to both attacking and defending them, then surely it's only a matter of time before every team we play against will look to win the game by working extra on their offensive set pieces the week of our game?

I think the defence relied heavily on felli and cahill for a long time, neither jags nor distin have taken control of this situation

I always thought that Fellaini was prone to losing the person he was supposed to mark - never ever thought that about Cahill. Nevertheless Fellaini's height is sorely missed.

Our defending at corners and free kicks has certainly deteriorated since Cahill left - sometimes you don't know what you have until it is gone. Thinking back, how many times was Cahill first to the ball in defensive set pieces, and/or his physical presence put off an attacker.
Agreed. He was as good for us in our own box as he was in the oppositions.

We will be poor at them under Martinez, comes with the territory. Barca have been terrible at them for decades but aren't really arsed.

what we lose in certain areas we'll gain in others.

teams these days seem to be moving away from the stoke or liverpool way of playing football and more towards an easier on the eye approach to the game.

if a team specializes on these things then that means they focus more on it in training and are reliant on the opposition conceding free-kicks in dangerous areas as opposed to creating goals purely themselves.

at the end of the day, with two not aerially dominating center backs, you need a commanding keeper, sadly we don't have that.

we'll have robles and stones who may be quite good for us within a few years in this aspect.

If we were slotting consistently then occasional lapses at set pieces can be overlooked. What is more of a drama is getting ourselves into situations where the deadball play is within scoring distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.