Deception, Strength and Creativity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToffeeDan

in memoriam - 1961-2023
Three vital components that make the difference between the great and the good:

Deception - the ability to deceive an opponent
Creativity - the ability to do something with the ball (even if it's kind of obvious that, say, a winger is going to knock a good ball into the box
Strength - the ability to win the ball from the opponent and keep it when possession is threatened.

I do think that many of our (more) creative players - i.e. the midfielders are not top-notch in this regard: Another thing worth arguing is that those we have who are most capable of these things were not in the starting eleven today (perhaps by design as a sturdy job was required against opponents desperate (or, put it another way, more desperate than us) for 3 points.

Deception: I would say that our most "deceptive" players are Pienaar, Mirallas, Lennon, Osman - capable of doing something "nice" with the ball - only Lennon was on from the start - Lukaku has a certain amount as do Baines and Coleman but, being further down the pitch the opportunity to show this is more limited, especially away from home. Don't even ask me about the likes of McGeady!!

Strength: I would say most, if not all of those four players are not especially strong - in that category you might put McCarthy, Barkley, Barry, Lukaku in the vanguard together with defenders (whose primary task is to stop goals/losses so, generally are putting their strength to different use. Players like Osman and Pienaar are low on strength - not going to physically shake the opponent off the ball often. Whilst Besic is combatative he has lacked something in the strength aspect - all too often quick to steam in and concede free-kicks and cheap yellow cards so he still has a fair bit to learn.

Creativity: Barkley has the ability to be creative but needs to use his head a bit more. Mirallas is, for me, the most creative, exciting player in our squad. Again both were sat on the bench. If you're looking for the ultimate in the PL in terms of Deception and Creativity you need look no further than Hazard. When one talks about strength one can think of a Rooney or a Yaya Toure (pre 2015 version).

So, we need to put more emphasis on recruiting - and using - players with these qualities. To go into a "battle" with Villa, on their own ground, with less of these on show was not a great move for me. Putting at least two of Mirallas, Barkley, Osman on the pitch from the start - probably Barkley and one of the other two - might have been a better move.

Creativity - the ability to do something with the ball (even if it's kind of obvious that, say, a winger is going to knock a good ball into the box
Strength - the ability to win the ball from the opponent and keep it when possession is threatened.

I do think that many of our (more) creative players - i.e. the midfielders are not top-notch in this regard: Another thing worth arguing is that those we have who are most capable of these things were not in the starting eleven today (perhaps by design as a sturdy job was required against opponents desperate (or, put it another way, more desperate than us) for 3 points.

Deception: I would say that our most "deceptive" players are Pienaar, Mirallas, Lennon, Osman - capable of doing something "nice" with the ball - only Lennon was on from the start - Lukaku has a certain amount as do Baines and Coleman but, being further down the pitch the opportunity to show this is more limited, especially away from home. Don't even ask me about the likes of McGeady!!

Strength: I would say most, if not all of those four players are not especially strong - in that category you might put McCarthy, Barkley, Barry, Lukaku in the vanguard together with defenders (whose primary task is to stop goals/losses so, generally are putting their strength to different use. Players like Osman and Pienaar are low on strength - not going to physically shake the opponent off the ball often. Whilst Besic is combatative he has lacked something in the strength aspect - all too often quick to steam in and concede free-kicks and cheap yellow cards so he still has a fair bit to learn.

Creativity: Barkley has the ability to be creative but needs to use his head a bit more. Mirallas is, for me, the most creative, exciting player in our squad. Again both were sat on the bench. If you're looking for the ultimate in the PL in terms of Deception and Creativity you need look no further than Hazard. When one talks about strength one can think of a Rooney or a Yaya Toure (pre 2015 version).

So, we need to put more emphasis on recruiting - and using - players with these qualities. To go into a "battle" with Villa, on their own ground, with less of these on show was not a great move for me. Putting at least two of Mirallas, Barkley, Osman on the pitch from the start - probably Barkley and one of the other two - might have been a better move.
The one thing Barkley is not, is creative. Damn sight better than naismith though.

We need a younger version of a pienaer

Wrong -- Mirallas also started.

McGeady is the most deceptive one of the lot. You can sometimes nearly fool yourself into thinking he's an actual footballer.

Apologies, I think it was down to the lack of his involvement (hadn't seen very much of the game at the time and had no commentary at work).
He played two cracking cross field balls into no where yesterday, awful game from Mirallas.

The one thing Barkley is not, is creative. Damn sight better than naismith though.

We need a younger version of a pienaer
He's trying. You could see yesterday when he came on he was looking to play the forwards through. Didn't quite come off though. He seems confident when he's running with the ball but if a defender slows him down to a stop then he doesn't seem to know what to do.

Barkley is a direct cam, such as Rooney.

I think personally, Barkly is better as part of a midfield 3 with a box to box midfielder (McCarthy) and a defensive midfielder (Barry). Then we have 1 genuine winger (Lennon/Mirallas) and a creative wide option (Osman/Pienaar). The problem with this is our creative options are both very slow and weak in old age. A Hazard-lite, David Silva/Nasri type would be perfect.

Cleverley?

On the strengh in MF issue Delph,Cleverley and Westwood aint exactly hugh guys are they but they fxxxing took our MF to the cleaners yesterday it was embarrassing to watch.We could really do with a FabianDelph.

Status
Not open for further replies.