Homepage Article David Unsworth To Leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if the ex Everton players involved at that level will also be subject to reapplying for those roles under his replacement.

I think every club has ex players on their coaching staff. It's not a bad thing provided it's not at the expense of ability/credentials. I'd care more/work harder for Everton than I would Bristol City. It only becomes an issue when that replaces ability/credentials. Our new DOF - his only interview he bangs on about his Everton connections despite being a Kopite. All a bit weird.

As a side note - I find it interesting how the managers at top flight clubs - our own, Villa's, Crystal Palace's etc tend to be managers of high profile/who were top quality players. Why aren't mediocre ex players getting top jobs anymore? Eh, eh, eh?!

Done an underrated job. Very difficult to compete with other academies in the North West. I doubt loads of players are coming to start flowing through to the first team now that he has left like some people seem to suggest.
A youth coach is judged on the youth players who break into the first team. That's their job.

For every Anthony Gordon there's been 30 Matthew Penningtons.

I've lost count of all the announcements of new backroom staff arrivals, and had me thinking about our old boys, Duncan included, and their immediate futures.
Unsworth going then is hardly a surprise.
Best of luck to him going forward. Crewe maybe?
British rail ?

I'm genuinely intrigued to see whether there's any change now in how things work with the under 23s and their development. I think it's very difficult to tell how well a coach is doing at that level, and obviously they're a pretty easy target if it's not perceived to be successful so he's got plenty of detractors. I hope it turns out he was useless and now we suddenly get an influx of much better players coming through, but it'll be interesting to find out.

Long overdue. Can't be denied that he's achieved good results with the u23s but the amount of times young players have looked like fish up trees when given the odd look in has reflected poorly on his coaching, he hasn't provided a youth pathway that hardly any Everton manager has been willing to trust since he's been in that position. Not to mention that I've never cringed harder for anyone, ever, than when he was asking Joe Royle for help at halftime in the tunnel at Southampton during his stint as caretaker manager that time.

Still, I wish him all the best. Hopefully this is a long overdue sign that we are beginning to get more ruthless behind the scenes. Mediocrity has been heavily rewarded at this club for far too long.

A youth coach is judged on the youth players who break into the first team. That's their job.

For every Anthony Gordon there's been 30 Matthew Penningtons.

Agreed he's developed loads of good quality players like Dowell, Kenny, Ledson, Connolly, Davies etc who have unfortunately fell a bit short at the final hurdle.

That last step up is a massive step. Calvert Lewin arguably is down to Unsworth too.

I'm genuinely intrigued to see whether there's any change now in how things work with the under 23s and their development. I think it's very difficult to tell how well a coach is doing at that level, and obviously they're a pretty easy target if it's not perceived to be successful so he's got plenty of detractors. I hope it turns out he was useless and now we suddenly get an influx of much better players coming through, but it'll be interesting to find out.

Even if we just start to bring through a few Championship standard players that we can sell on for £5m-ish it’ll be an improvement.

Good for him, he should of done this after he was last Caretaker on the back of the 4-0 win against Westham. I hope he gets a good club with the chance of staying in it for a long time.

I can’t emphasise enough how happy I am regarding this news.

I loved Unsworth as a player, but with him overseeing the U23s we’ve seen literally Gordon breakthrough.

Calvert Lewin spent 6 months there, and stepped up and since we’ve seen players like Ledson, Dowell, Walsh, Baningime, Bowler, Gibson not push on for his ego trip to allow the likes Of Pennington etc to play to allow him to win the coveted PL2 trophy.

2 players in 8 years. It’s not good enough. It’s actually a total failure. The fact Brands had to instruct him to play the same way as the first team as recently as November, was equally telling… but that’s just as much on the club.

Great player, terrible manager. Thanks Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.