David Moyes sacked - What if...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we just forget our Ex and consign him to the history archives never to be raised again. Let us move on and think how fortunate we are with the current manager. Look forward everyone and enjoy.

I for one are tired of all the threads about our EX.

This is an alternate history thread related to "How long did Moyes hold us back" post

This thread is to gauge your opinions as to how the recent history of EFC would have panned out if Moyes had been sacked at various junctures in his career with us.

The key dates on around which he could have been sacked are:

14th March 2002 - What if he had never been appointed at all? What alternatives were there and how would they have performed.

15th May 2004 - After losing 5-1 to Manchester City and a 17th place finish, it finally becomes apparent that he has lost the dressing room and is sacked.

19th November 2005 - After a 4-0 tanking at the Hawthorns leaves EFC in the bottom three, Moyes is sacked

28th December 2005 - Everton lose their 4th game in succession, with Liverpool getting an easy 3-1 win in the Goodison derby. Moyes' position is unteneble

13th February 2011 - After a 2-0 reverse to Bolton, possibly the worst performance he has EVER overseen, he is sacked with Everton in midtable and their future still uncertain.

13th March 2012 - A 3-0 humiliation in the Anfield derby proves the last straw, he is sacked exactly ten years to the day that he was appointed manager.

9th March 2013 - Everton are destroyed by Wigan in the FA Cup and Moyes is out.

Obviously BK would never have dreamed sack the ginger goblin, but no fuse is infinite.

The last one doesn't deviate too far from the original timeline and it seems he was already manc bound by that time, but would two more months of a new manager have made a difference? Would Martinez, still with Wigan fighting for safety and en-route to Wembley success, have still made the jump?

Good thread, mate.

For me, it was after losing to Reading in the cup which was the point he should've gone (well, at the end of that season...no need to go during the actual season).

Summer of 2011 who would've been our candidates? No idea, maybe even still Martinez (wasn't he critically-acclaimed at Swansea then?).

Good thread, mate.

For me, it was after losing to Reading in the cup which was the point he should've gone (well, at the end of that season...no need to go during the actual season).

Summer of 2011 who would've been our candidates? No idea, maybe even still Martinez (wasn't he critically-acclaimed at Swansea then?).

On 31st March 2011, an article on thesackrace.com listed a number of potential successors:

Martin O Neill 3/1
Slaven Bilic 7/1
Alex McLeish 8/1
Sam Allardyce 8/1
Steve McClaren 8/1

I think we'd have plumped for O Neill personally. By that time we were mathematically safe.

WHAT IF:

David Moyes leaves Everton on 26th May 2011 after the blues failed to achieve European qualification in 2010/11. The club is looking back on another season of relative steadiness, but with no evident upward direction.

Martin O Neill is appointed on 1st July 2011 and our history pans out thus:

2011-12

- Instills a new confidence, but the overall style of play remains the same
- Pienaar moves to Newcastle, despite strong links back to Everton
- Jelavic signs for Moyes-led Aston Villa
- A quiet season of transition, but with a lack of presence down the wings and only loan signings an option, Everton can finish no higher than 10th

2012-13

- M.ON Signs Danny Rose and brings out the best in him, forming an effective partnership with Baines
- Mavrias signs but proves less effective, as does the signing of Altidore, who does little to overcome Everton's lack of firepower
- John Stones signs for Liverpool on 31st January 2013
- Everton manage to finish 7th courtesy of the ability to "win ugly"
- Everton win 1-0 at Anfield on 5th May 2013, finally ending their 14 year hoodoo

2013-14

- Everton get off to a disappointing start, and languish in 16th after a 3-0 defeat to Mourinho's Man Utd at Old Trafford on 4th December 2013.
- M.ON is sacked, making way for Gus Poyet who steadies the ship, introduces a new playing style and drives Everton to safety. However, Everton are not as ace as....
- .....Tottenham, who finish 3rd under Roberto Martinez in his first full season, leading Everton fans to think of what might have been!

Drivel yes, but I'm BORED!

Is anyone else spooked, by Danny's crystal ball reading first post in the Everton after Moyes Thread!

Between that and inventing the internet, you'd have to say fair play!

David Moyes did really well for Everton and Everton made David Moyes. However ,I do believe that for the last two seasons he had lost his desire at Everton and was looking out for a new job during most of that time. There is no doubt he would have jumped at the Spurs job two years ago.

At the end I believe David Moyes thought he was too big for Everton, but at the same time everything he said after leaving Everton indicated that he didn't believe he was big enough for Utd... he was in awe of the job he had been given. I think he brought all his staff with him because he didn't have the confidence to work with an already successful and established back room team.

There has been a huge difference between how RM has handled the step up from Wigan to Everton and how DM handled the move from Everton to Utd

Status
Not open for further replies.