Transfer Rumour Danny Welbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on two things really

How much we'll pay him in wages and whether he can stay fit

If he's on reasonably low wages and stays healthy, he'll be okay as a back up option off the bench (Essentially replacing Niasse and Tosun)

If he wants a healthy wedge then we should swerve IMO. He's not worth a significant bite into the wage bill, especially when the whole point of this summers window is to get rid of the players we aren't using to free up space on the wage bill so we can sign better players without breaching FFP

Reportedly on £100K p/w at Arsenal and any new club would need to match or likely improve that since he'd be a free transfer. He'd be coming in as one of our very top earners.

Reportedly on £100K p/w at Arsenal and any new club would need to match or likely improve that since he'd be a free transfer. He'd be coming in as one of our very top earners.

giphy.gif

Ill be honest and say i wouldn't turn my nose up at Welbeck for a few reasons, if there is genuine interest.

1) I think we have to be creative in the transfer market and we will need to accept getting whats best in the free market like Bernard and Losel and perhaps Welbeck. If that enables funds to be redirected elsewhere or on another striker that improves that line generally im open minded.

2) By far the forward position is our worst in terms of recruitment has been for years: Traore, Kone, Valencia, Niasse, Tosun, Sandro. I think he improves that line. Every club has a second striker who is below the quality of the established one, Lorente, Giroud etc. I think he could be ours. He might not be playing 38 games a season with injuries but if he makes 20 appearances thats good for the squad and improves it. Would i shift Sandro, Niasse or Tosun for Welbeck - i probably would, its moving wages around really.

3) A curious thing always struck me about Welbeck, he has always had faith shown in him when fit by managers of a high caliber, Ferguson, Wenger, many England managers, that is not to be sniffed at, its says a lot about his ceiling of quality, dependability and character. I can remember some big names being dropped for big games and him starting.

My concern of course like everyone else is his injuries, but if you look at him as a 20 game a season appearance player complimenting and backing up another forward, im very open minded.

Last edited:

He gets injuries like there is no tomorrow not as the club's main striker. Imagine if he was the main guy at a club, he played more and was asked to play like DCL. Sprinting and hustling for the ball.

He would snap in a matter of minutes.

Ill be honest and say i wouldn't turn my nose up at Welbeck for a few reasons, if there is genuine interest.

1) I think we have to be creative in the transfer market and we will need to accept getting whats best in the free market like Bernard and Losel and perhaps Welbeck. If that enables funds to be redirected elsewhere or on another striker that improves that line generally im open minded.

2) By far the forward position is our worst in terms of recruitment has been for years: Traore, Kone, Valencia, Niasse, Tosun, Sandro. I think he improves that line. Every club has a second striker who is below the quality of the established one, Lorente, Giroud etc. I think he could be ours. He might not be playing 38 games a season with injuries but if he makes 20 appearances thats good for the squad and improves it. Would i shift Sandro, Niasse or Tosun for Welbeck - i probably would, its moving wages around really.

3) A curious thing always struck me about Welbeck, he has always had faith shown in him when fit by managers of a high caliber, Ferguson, Wenger, many England managers, that is not to be sniffed at, its says a lot about his ceiling of quality, dependability and character. I can remember some big names being dropped for big games and him starting.

My concern of course like everyone else is his injuries, but if you look at him as a 20 game a season appearance player complimenting and backing up another forward, im very open minded.

I agree with this. I was very unenthusiastic about this rumour, and especially would hope we negotiate a lower than £100k fee, and maybe give him the option of a pay rise or bonus based on appearances, so for me, if he's the top earner at our club I would be worried.

However, if we are looking for a striker who does not overshadow DCL's learning and development, but at the same time improves us, then I think this is a really good option. He could play on the left of the front 3, he could play in a front 2 with DCL, and he does seem to score goals. Southgate picks him whenever he's fit, and I agree with this thing that other coaches have always trusted him. If he's in and out of the team, that suits DCL, but if he plays 10 games in a row and scores 5/6, or has a renaissance and plays 20-30 games, I think we'll have a really good deal.

Should we not start a silly season thread and put this in there.

No wonder we are classed as small time amongst the media now, if we are linked to the likes of this sick note.

Status
Not open for further replies.