Coventry (H) - 10 May 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horrible day, rain, every minute of that match felt like an hour. From memory:

*A crowd steward telling us to leave if we are relegated, got the impression it would of kicked off big time if that happened.

*Gareths goal was like slow motion, felt like an age to go in. The roar was incredible.

* Nick Barmby looking desperate after he missed the penalty.

*The awful silence when Dion Dublin scored.

*Running on the pitch and nicking some grass.

*The big on the pitch protest towards Peter Johnson “We want Johnson out”.

* Absolutely shattered afterwards, slept for about 12 hours.

Never want to see a repeat of it again .

While things might be depressing now.At least they aren't as bad as they were back then!I think in 1994 against Wimbledon ,there was a steely resolve and defiance amongst the squad, that they wouldn't go down.In 1998 against Coventry, it was a case of a god awful Everton side, desperately limping over the line to safety.God our current lot mightn't be the best.But the class of 1997/1998, were the worst Everton squad in modern history!They were so bad, they make our current squad look like the Harlem Globetrotters in comparison!That was the only goal Gareth Farrelly scored for us as well.He picked a good day to score it!

Last edited:
thought we were going down that day.
Horrible match
Nerves shredded
Murderous thoughts
joy at the end
Great night out, pissed afterwards.
Watched match of the day and swearing next time we played Chelsea i would web one of there fans, for booing there own team and wanting us down.
Getting fed up with Bolton going on about a ball that had or not gone out when we played them costing them a goal and the points against us, while overlooking at least two bad calls for them in the same game.
Wanting to have the chance to relegate, Coventry last game in the future along with Wimbledon and Chelsea and really going for it.
Wishing Johnson out.

Bad day all round, almost got into a fight watching it at the pub. Some beep said he hoped Everton get smashed and go down to which I replied back the only thing that is getting smashed will be your face. After nearly being kicked out it kind of took the shine off of the rest of the game and survival, but to be honest even without that I don't think It would have been much different. After the Wimbledon game I was elated, after this game I was flat, relieved to have stayed up but overwhelming sadness that our goal had now become just to be the 4th worst side in the league and eventually if we kept on doing this it was inevitable that we would be relegated at some point.

Bad day all round, almost got into a fight watching it at the pub. Some beep said he hoped Everton get smashed and go down to which I replied back the only thing that is getting smashed will be your face. After nearly being kicked out it kind of took the shine off of the rest of the game and survival, but to be honest even without that I don't think It would have been much different. After the Wimbledon game I was elated, after this game I was flat, relieved to have stayed up but overwhelming sadness that our goal had now become just to be the 4th worst side in the league and eventually if we kept on doing this it was inevitable that we would be relegated at some point.
When you look at that team , to even the one that played Wimbledon a few years before, you could see how we were going at that time, , they were dire times.

When you look at that team , to even the one that played Wimbledon a few years before, you could see how we were going at that time, , they were dire times.

The Royle era was very odd, he seemed to have put that rubbish behind us with the FA Cup win, Kanchelskis, beating the likes of them lot and Arsenal away. Then it all fell apart and we ended up with Howard back for a third spell which was disappointing to say the least.

watching the game in a pub on smithdown road packed with kopites wearing 'going to one' t-shirts.

trying to watch the chelsea game on another TV behind me at the same time.

celebrating when Vialli scored against Notlob.

feeling emotionally drained for the rest of the day and getting wrecked as a result.

having an almighty hangover the next day as the relief turned to anger at Johnson for ever letting it happen in the first place.

never again please Everton.

Status
Not open for further replies.