Confirmed Signing Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I thought. So conceding 10 pens, of which 9 were scored, is going to skew the xGA massively.
Basically yup, like any other statistic it's useful as part of a greater analysis of lots of different metrics. Taken in isolation it's like most isolated stats pretty useless.

Like looking at distance covered by a player, seems a good stat, but is it because they are always out of position thus having to make ground up, losing possession and having to chase back etc, running around pressing like a headless chicken and breaking team shape etc.

Without cross indexing a host of metrics all you can do is guess about how relevant it is

I know. As mentioned, Jose Sa had a season we've hardly seen before in this league.

You should always be careful to only look at stats, but it is crazy to ignore them. Teams created a lot of chances against Wolves last season. That is a fact.

Under normal circumstances (Jose Sa not being Superman) they would have conceded a lot more. If xGA is used to measure the chances they gave up, Wolves' defence was 16th in the league (Everton were 11th).

Wolves goalkeeper's save percentage last season was 78. Everton's was 65.
You should always be careful at how you use stats to fit an argument.

Take out the penalties against them (none caused by coady) and their xGA drops from 60.3 to 52.7.

For a comparison, ours dropped from 54.5 to 53. (Only norwichs difference was bigger).

That's what I thought. So conceding 10 pens, of which 9 were scored, is going to skew the xGA massively.

On my point above, a player I really like Gallagher, his individual pressing stats are absolutely fantastic, in isolation it looks brilliant, then cross index it with fouls committed and yellow cards, he pretty much led the league in fouls and I think 9 yellows, now that pressing statistic looks far less impressive than a player who was say 10% less effective pressing but committed hardly any fouls.

On my point above, a player I really like Gallagher, his individual pressing stats are absolutely fantastic, in isolation it looks brilliant, then cross index it with fouls committed and yellow cards, he pretty much led the league in fouls and I think 9 yellows, now that pressing statistic looks far less impressive than a player who was say 10% less effective pressing but committed hardly any fouls.
But mate you are on the internet. So the rules are, you pick a stat that proves your point and ignore all the others that don't support it.

Therefore, we MUST sign Gallagher for his pressing.

Actually think Holgate will do well as the third CB with Tark and Coady around him. Showed enough on the weekend to be optimistic about his chances I reckon.
Same needs somebody next to him talking him and keeping him in position. Is a big chance for him with the injury he has to take this chance. Just needs to look at iwobi and see what he has done by working hard

Not a fan of him being a red but him and Tarkowski we have 2 centrebacks that can make attacks with their passing, disappointing about Godfrey would b a lovely back 3

Well I can tell you right now that is absolute nonsense because I watched enough of our defenders to know we were the worst defence outside of the bottom 2 last season. Stats are a complete irrelevance, look at some of the goals we gave away and tell me with a straight face our defence was better than Wolves’ and 9 other teams.
I agree that the Everton numbers might be slightly off. Because they were so awful at defending set pieces.

Chances from e.g. corners often have low xG values. As headers under pressure in a crowded area in front of the goal not often end up at the back of the net. When the defending often was no-existent, Everton were more likely to concede than average headers from said position.

Defending set pieces is not about players though. All about system. Everton went from being fine, better than average, at defending set pieces under Ancelotti to becoming worst in the league after Benitez came in to fix what was never broken. With the same players available. Shocking.

Still remember Ancelotti always having DCL or Richarlison in front of the first post to attack the ball and try to stop it from entering a dangerous area. The same job Holgate did brilliantly this weekend. A job Benitez usually gave to Allan or Delph before blaming every conceded goal on individuell errors.

You should always be careful at how you use stats to fit an argument.

Take out the penalties against them (none caused by coady) and their xGA drops from 60.3 to 52.7.

For a comparison, ours dropped from 54.5 to 53. (Only norwichs difference was bigger).
Fine.

If I look at goalscoring midfielders, I will look at non-penalty xG and goals. Because you have players such as Jorginho that has decent numbers, but its mainly because of pens. Same goes for individuell matches, as pens can skew the numbers quite a bit.

But for a teams defence? Over 38 matches? I see no reason to not include pens. Teams that are defensively poor give away more pens than teams that are defensively sound. Ignoring pens would be as crazy as ignoring own goals.

Fine.

If I look at goalscoring midfielders, I will look at non-penalty xG and goals. Because you have players such as Jorginho that has decent numbers, but its mainly because of pens. Same goes for individuell matches, as pens can skew the numbers quite a bit.

But for a teams defence? Over 38 matches? I see no reason to not include pens. Teams that are defensively poor give away more pens than teams that are defensively sound. Ignoring pens would be as crazy as ignoring own goals.

But it’s hardly Coady’s fault if Max Kilman hacks someone down in the corner of the 18 yard box, or Dendoncker puts a stupid hand up and punches the ball away from a corner. Rather than use stats I think you should simply watch football to judge players. It’s a tried and tested foolproof method.

But it’s hardly Coady’s fault if Max Kilman hacks someone down in the corner of the 18 yard box, or Dendoncker puts a stupid hand up and punches the ball away from a corner. Rather than use stats I think you should simply watch football to judge players. It’s a tried and tested foolproof method.

ECA6C82C-3025-493C-B315-A4E7A53527DF.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.